Subtitles support issue

Ausley

Ausley

I use Emby server 3.4.0.0 windows and ATV app. I have several subtitles problems. 

1. When I play video with ass subtitles, the Fontname in style is ignored no matter what fonts I used but all other setups are supported like Fontsize, PrimaryColour.... and fonts in Dialogue are also supported.

2. On server, I can select subtitles before I play but I cannot on app. Subtitles is off or forced in default. On app, I can only change subtitles after I start to play.

3. If I use the file name of subtitles like this xxxxxx.chn.ass, I cannot select it on app. I have to use file name like this only xxxxxx.ass. On server, I will get a wrong message like the picture.

Ausley

embyserver logs

removed logs and attached as a file

Edited by ausley.lee@gmail.com

I don't see any playback in that log.  Also, please attach the file to the post as described in the topic linked above instead of pasting the contents in.

Finally, what app is "ATV"?  Apple or Android?

Thanks.

Ausley

oneattached ffmpeg-transcode log in next post.

Edited by ausley.lee@gmail.com

Ausley

ATV = Android TV

I don't see any playback in that log.  Also, please attach the file to the post as described in the topic linked above instead of pasting the contents in.

Thanks.

Your second issue will be coming to the app but, for now, you can change your subtitle behavior on the server to always on if that's what you want.  This is a per-user setting.

Sammy

Ausley

You may want to use a different screen name than your email address?

Ausley

Good point. Thanks.

Ausley

You may want to use a different screen name than your email address?

• Like 1

Ausley

I cannot find the way to set up for all but one by one. Can you let me know how to do it?

Your second issue will be coming to the app but, for now, you can change your subtitle behavior on the server to always on if that's what you want.  This is a per-user setting.

Ausley

You cannot see any playback because it crashed when I played with subtitles file name like this xxxxxx.chn.ass.

Thanks.

I found in ffmpeg-transcode the FontName is force_style='FontName=Droid Sans Fallback. Maybe it's why the Fontname in style is ignored.

No, that should be OK. Do you have a font file in this folder?

C\:/Users/Lee/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/programdata/fonts

Ausley

No, but I suppose it should use system fonts. All fonts in Dialogue are OK even I don't have any font file in that folder except the font in Style.

No, that should be OK. Do you have a font file in this folder?

Ausley

I tried to put font file in that folder. It doesn't work even I restart the server.

No, but I suppose it should use system fonts. All fonts in Dialogue are OK even I don't have any font file in that folder except the font in Style.

I found in ffmpeg-transcode the FontName is force_style='FontName=Droid Sans Fallback. Maybe it's why the Fontname in style is ignored.

These two logs don't appear to match up. In other words, the activity from the ffmpeg log doesn't appear in this server log. Can you provide another example? Thanks.

Ausley

These two logs don't appear to match up. In other words, the activity from the ffmpeg log doesn't appear in this server log. Can you provide another example? Thanks.

Try these two. It seems the server cannot recognize Chinese font file name which I put on programdata\fonts folder.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-81426361-1279-42ba-8b47-fd3999ef356c.txt

I cannot find the way to set up for all but one by one. Can you let me know how to do it?

This is a per user setting so it needs to be done for each user.

Ausley

I figure out the solution of issue 2 & 3. Issue 1 is still unsolved.

Issue 2: use ".default" and  ".forced" or ".foreign" as external subtitle suffix to set up external subtitle as default or as forced.

Issue 3: if external subtitles are ass or ssa, the code should be UTF-8. If it's srt, it can be Unicode or UTF-8.

Edited by Ausley

What are the contents of this folder?

Ausley

Originally there is only one font file, DroidSansFallback.ttf. I copy my font file into. It doesn't work. I changed the file name from Chinese to English. It doesn't work either. I check logs and found "charenc=utf-8:force_style='FontName=Droid Sans Fallback':fontsdir='C\:/Users/Lee/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/programdata/fonts'". It seems the font was forced to Droid Sans Fallback.

What are the contents of this folder?

@@Ausley can you please zip up those .ass subtitles and attach the zip file here? I would like to test them. thanks.

Ausley

I attach one BIG BANG subtitles here. I don't know if you can find all Chinese font files. Anyway, you can actually test any ass format subtitles. Just change the font in Style section and watch if it changes as you wish when you play.

152542334719240.zip

Anyway, you can actually test any ass format subtitles. Just change the font in Style section and watch if it changes as you wish when you play.

Well this isn't going to happen, nor is it expected.  What you CAN expect is that the subtitles will render, but it might not be the font that is specified in the .ass.

The only way that would work is if:

• The entire font is embedded, not just the name of the font
  • AND you are willing to live with server transcoding to burn them in, as opposed to allowing Emby apps to render them directly in the apps. For example, we can render most ass/ssa in the browser directly, but it's not going to be the font specified in the file, it's going to be one that we've chosen.