Can I Batch Edit Titles?

JXL2112

JXL2112

First: ​So I went ahead and edited all my album.nfo's adding a symbol for 16-bit music....of course Emby just wiped them over. I really don't want to edit "ALL" the titles one by one inside Emby...that would take forever! Is there a way to batch edit all of them or maybe just tag them (16-bit)?

Second: What symbol will display properly in the Roku app, It seems the symbol I chose doesn't display right?

This is mostly a Roku App issue and not being able to see what type of album I'm playing.

Edited by JXL2112

Hi, you might just want to use the tags feature.

Unfortunately we don't have bulk editing but it is planned for the future. Thanks.

kanipek

First: ​So I went ahead and edited all my album.nfo's adding a symbol for 16-bit music....of course Emby just wiped them over. I really don't want to edit "ALL" the titles one by one inside Emby...that would take forever! Is there a way to batch edit all of them or maybe just tag them (16-bit)?

Second: What symbol will display properly in the Roku app, It seems the symbol I chose doesn't display right?

This is mostly a Roku App issue and not being able to see what type of album I'm playing.

I am not familiar with what you are trying to do. If you are making the same addition to a line that is the same in all the NFO's then notepad++ should work for that.

I would make a copy of a few NFO files and test with those. If you open the search function in Notepad++ you will see a find in files tab and you can point it to a directory and check the in all sub folders box.

I have used it to make "batch" edits to my NFO files in the past to change the <lockdata></lockdata> state from false to true - just be careful!

Edited by kanipek

JXL2112

​Funny I used notepad++ and thought it worked. I used replace "<title>" with "<title>♫", all the nfo's were altered:

​♫ Dark Side of the Moon 
♫ The Wall

Any emby scan removes them, even when lock data is set to true. Also the ♫ is not displayed correctly in Roku App.

I need a symbol that displays correctly in Roku and a way to keep the data set in album.nfo

Edited by JXL2112

JXL2112

​Still two questions pending:

1. What font does the Roku App use(or what symbols will it display properly)? ​​♠♣♥♦♪♫♯●☺☻♂♀℗

2. How do I edit all the album.nfo and have Emby NOT overwrite it?

​1. What font does the Roku App use(or what symbols will it display properly)? ​​♠♣♥♦♪♫♯●☺☻♂♀℗​

A combination of the Roku system font and Roboto Light.

• Like 1

the-dumb1

​Still two questions pending:

2. How do I edit all the album.nfo and have Emby NOT overwrite it?

You don't. 

Luke says in this thread that it's planned for a future release, but that's been said now for several years so I wouldn't count on it happening. 

Your best bet is to use Notepad++ if you're on Windows or a combination of grep/sed/awk on Linux--in addition to "locking" those attributes from being overwritten (this is an attribute in the file that you'll have to specify).

JXL2112

You don't. 

Luke says in this thread that it's planned for a future release, but that's been said now for several years so I wouldn't count on it happening. 

Your best bet is to use Notepad++ if you're on Windows or a combination of grep/sed/awk on Linux--in addition to "locking" those attributes from being overwritten (this is an attribute in the file that you'll have to specify).

I suppose I could set the album.nfo's to "read only" in Windows after making the edits. I set the lock data attribute to true but Emby ignored it....overwrote all the changes. Maybe it's a bug in Emby. 

• Like 1

kanipek

I suppose I could set the album.nfo's to "read only" in Windows after making the edits. I set the lock data attribute to true but Emby ignored it....overwrote all the changes. Maybe it's a bug in Emby. 

Did you edit the lockdata with notepad++ or use the Metadata Editor?? Are the albums showing as locked in Metadata Editor?  I haven't really done much on the music side until very recently so not very familiar with the workings of Emby in that regard.

I would definitely set the read only attribute in Windows and have a backup of the files stored safely away.

JXL2112

Did you edit the lockdata with notepad++ or use the Metadata Editor?? Are the albums showing as locked in Metadata Editor?  I haven't really done much on the music side until very recently so not very familiar with the workings of Emby in that regard.

I would definitely set the read only attribute in Windows and have a backup of the files stored safely away.

I did use notepad++ to edit the lockdata....I forgot about the Metadata Editor. Truthfully I would be willing to get this done one by one over several weeks.....just so long as the changes stick.

I'll test a small batch of files with the read-only attribute and see if the settings are accepted by Emby.

The server will just end up clearing the readonly flag temporarily in order to overwrite the file. you should instead use the lock function. the file may still get saved but there shouldn't be any metadata changes.

JXL2112

Read Only = Failure   ( As luke says above it won't work )

Add Title = Failure   ( Just can't add anything outside of Emby )

Subtract Title = Success ( I was able to remove the ♫ through batch edit, I was surprised it worked )

My only option now is to use the metadata editor and go through the albums one by one.....sigh.