What CPU would I need without transcoding?

thura10
Go to solution Solved by psybertech,

thura10

I have an emby server running on my main pc with i5 but the power usage is too much. So, I was thinking of switching to a more low profile solution. I found an old pc with gigabit ethernet and usb 3.0 but intel atom processor. I realized I have no x265 content on my server anyway so I wouldnt need the cpu power for transcoding. And since the pc has gigabit and usb 3.0, the speed should be fast, right?

The exact model is Intel Atom n280. Passmark score is about 280.

I need NO transcoding. All the media I play are direct playing anyway. I won't have more than 3 streams at once. And that is exaggerating. Would it work? Or should I go for something higher?

• Solution
psybertech

I have an emby server running on my main pc with i5 but the power usage is too much. So, I was thinking of switching to a more low profile solution. I found an old pc with gigabit ethernet and usb 3.0 but intel atom processor. I realized I have no x265 content on my server anyway so I wouldnt need the cpu power for transcoding. And since the pc has gigabit and usb 3.0, the speed should be fast, right?

The exact model is Intel Atom n280. Passmark score is about 280.

I need NO transcoding. All the media I play are direct playing anyway. I won't have more than 3 streams at once. And that is exaggerating. Would it work? Or should I go for something higher?

Just my 2 cents...

If it is just a direct stream, no transcoding at all, just figure out your network capabilities and file sizes.

This is not a scientific fact, but the basic math concept works for most intents and purposes...

If you have a 2hr long movie as a 2GB file, then you need to send 1GB per hour... 500MB per 30 minutes... 250MB per 15.... ~17MB per minute... ~300KB per second...

Can your network transfer that?

CPU should have zero impact on that unless you are talking about a network card under 10Mb/s... so you should be fine.

Now... if you have a 2 hr movie as a 30GB file...

15GB per hour... 7.5GB per 30 min... 3.75GB per 15 min... 250MB per min... ~4.2MB per second... then you need at least a solid 42Mb/s connection.. cutting it close here on a wireless network that isn't peaking near its capabilities (802.11G could be cutting it very close no matter what).

Its all about throughput. And then factor in how many connections... additional overhead, etc.

Divide the expected speed by the number of clients.

If you expect 500KB/s per stream and have 3 clients, then you need 1.5MB/s. Does your device support that reliably? Not just on paper.

I always halve the hardware and work off that and if its better, great. (i.e. a GB card, I never expect more than 500Mb/s - aka 50MB/s - very, very rough math, but serves me well on the broad strokes)

Just make sure you have a fast network connection. To me, that is all that matters. Its all that has ever mattered for me outside transcoding.

If you have a GB or better NIC, you should be fine... then its all on the client for how it receives it.

I've run Plex (not Emby, sorry) on Raspberry Pi 3s, my Synology NAS (1.4Ghz Atom) and virtual machines limited to 2Ghz single core, and have had no issues with non-transcoding for up to 5 concurrent streams in my environment.

I eventually did upgrade because of transcoding (HEVC and client limitations), but if it is not needed, pretty much anything works if the network is capable.

And I think that Emby really shines here since you can set users permissions to not allow content that requires transcoding...

I know the option exists in each user's settings, but I have never actually tested it now that I don't really care about the transcoding hit and my clients' hardware capabilities rock now-a-days since they all are 4K modern hardware (FireTV, AppleTV and Roku).

Anyway.............

j

Edited by psybertech
  • Like 1