Shield TV - Live TV not functioning

cbdudek

cbdudek

I have a shield TV on a TV I don't use very often.  I have used it in the past with live TV and it works great.  I normally use Kodi and Emby Theater on Windows PC or I use the Emby Client on my android phone.

A couple days ago I tried using it and after selecting to tune to a channel, I watched a spinning wheel and it comes back to say...

Playback Error?

Is the current item exhibiting a playback problem like no video or audio?

If I select No, it spins and spins.  I stopped it after 10 minutes.  If I select yes, it tries again but never tunes to the channel.

I tried this with a couple other channels and finally got fed up.  I installed VLC and went to live TV options.  I selected to use an external player for live TV and chose VLC to open the live TV channels.  This worked flawlessly.

Today, I decided to give the Emby TV client another shot.  I disabled using the external player in Emby Live TV options.  Of course, I was met with the same results which was a spinning wheel and the same playback error message.  I copied the logs here.

EDIT:  After trying a couple more times, I did get a couple channels to tune, but it stopped tuning again.  Adding those logs as well.

So far, Web client, Kodi, and Emby Theater work great on my Windows PCs.  The Android client works great with live TV on the phone.  The only issue I have found is in regards to the Emby client on the Nvidia Shield.  VLC client works flawlessly.

Any advice?

ffmpeg-directstream-87b760d0-73db-4a72-8e86-3393ca7179ca.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-102a6f9b-c076-46c5-b761-48a1f7e829f7.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-8142247c-9fea-44e5-bbdf-07fdb4509b01.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-9490739a-6593-42c8-aa90-7c84ad9089b4.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-d4ba6591-b8f7-41b8-a57a-4b0cb11ddbb3.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-041c9aeb-b39f-4fd6-ae23-e9bef23606df.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-f9228596-a565-497e-97d1-214e7bf6ab04.txt

server-63659520004.txt

Edited by cbdudek

Hi.  You can try the beta version of the app which may solve your issue now.

If not, we will have an update sometime this week with more improvements for you to try.

Thanks.

Sammy

If not, we will have an update sometime this week with more improvements for you to try.

Thanks.

The link is nearly 3 years old and it refers to being logged into the device from amazon. Is it for a FireTV?

The link is nearly 3 years old and it refers to being logged into the device from amazon. Is it for a FireTV?

The instructions are still valid.

• Like 1

CBers

I am assuming that there are people having issues with the Shield TV app and tuning live TV channels?

What is your Live TV source, HDHomeRun?

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I am assuming that there are people having issues with the Shield TV app and tuning live TV channels?

yes, this is about as bad as its ever been

• Like 1

CBers

Yes, I am running a hdhomerun prime.

I thought it might be.

I have issues using my HDHomeRun in the ATV app, whereas it works fine in other Emby clients.

There seems to be multiple threads/posts about Live TV use in the ATV app being flakey recently, especially if HDHomeRuns are involved somewhere in the mix.

@@ebr has something changed, as it always seemed to be rock solid?

I use IPTV as my source and rarely see any issues.

• Like 1

cbdudek

This is good information. I will use the vlc app as an external player as a workaround for now. That client never has an issue and at least emby TV settings let me use that.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

mastrmind11

FWIW, I have had zero issues w/ ATV on either of my Shields, but I am still on 3.2.70 due to issues reported w/ later versions, so perhaps it is server related?  I can say (and I posted this previously) that I was having serious issues w/ my HDHR stuttering/freezing w/ 3.2.70 and updating the tuner's firmware has caused it to be a complete dream to use.  but ymmv

cbdudek

FWIW, I have had zero issues w/ ATV on either of my Shields, but I am still on 3.2.70 due to issues reported w/ later versions, so perhaps it is server related? I can say (and I posted this previously) that I was having serious issues w/ my HDHR stuttering/freezing w/ 3.2.70 and updating the tuner's firmware has caused it to be a complete dream to use. but ymmv

I am running the latest version of the emby server. My hdhomerun prime is also running the latest version as well. I am not going to downgrade the emby server version for now since I have a workaround with the vlc player. It's just something to keep an eye on.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

PenkethBoy

its not just HDHomeRuns - its Hauppauge tuners as well

ATV and/or a server update has caused this

Devs are very quiet on the whole issue

• Like 2

Spaceboy

its not just HDHomeRuns - its Hauppauge tuners as well

ATV and/or a server update has caused this

and all external services. its seems more to be a europe based thing no matter what format you get your tv in.

Senna

I had strm issue's on the Emby Apple TV app, which didn't load. Tested previous Emby beta server releases and had to go back to beta server 3.3.1.12 (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57285-beta-1200-release-notes/page-3&do=findComment&comment=568767)

My Live TV in Emby comes from two sources:

1) IPTV

2) m3u from DVBLink with my DVB-C HDHomeRun (HDHR3-4DC) channels, decrypted by DVBLink

1+2 are working in the Emby Apple TV beta 1.2.04 with Emby beta server 3.3.1.19

??

Thanks.

Spaceboy

??

could you be any more uninformed? its the beta thats causing the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cbdudek

could you be any more uninformed? its the beta thats causing the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think this is accurate.  I am not running the beta and I am experiencing an issue.

I think most of us are running the beta version Eric.

Not everyone and not several of the people in this thread and the new issue that has been created by the recent server and app releases should be corrected in the current beta (it is the issue NYPLayer was having).

As for you UK guys with long-standing issues, that is not going to be affected (yet) by the beta.

There are multiple issues at play but these new guys with problems I think will be straightened out by the current beta.

The OP of this topic is not running the beta.

cbdudek

Not everyone and not several of the people in this thread and the new issue that has been created by the recent server and app releases should be corrected in the current beta (it is the issue NYPLayer was having).

As for you UK guys with long-standing issues, that is not going to be affected (yet) by the beta.

There are multiple issues at play but these new guys with problems I think will be straightened out by the current beta.

I will give the beta a try either tonight or tomorrow.

Spaceboy

i don't believe that either @@CBers issues with HD Homerun or @@PenkethBoy 's issues with Hauppauge are long-standing. mine have been since the dawn of time yes, now everyone is in the same boat

• Like 1

CBers

So is there a full plan of action, rather than just asking people to try the beta?

As people already in the beta aren't seeing any improvement, what plans are there for us?

Should we move our comments/thoughts to a new thread, or shall I create a new thread with mine, @@Spaceboy's, @@PenkethBoy's and other people's issues in it?

Some guidance would be appreciated please.

Thanks.

• Like 3