Emby for Kodi - Duplicate Devices Showing on Emby Server Dashboard

DarWun

DarWun

I accidentally clicked on the option to create a new device ID on the advanced settings tab of Emby for Kodi.  Now the dashboard on the Emby server displays two identical active devices even though there is only one Kodi (LibreELEC) device shown in server device list (see images below).  Eventually one of them will disappear from the dashboard.  But the next time I restart the server two are displayed again.  Is there a way to prevent the duplicate devices from showing up?

5acd3fd8e2d1e_Capture.png5acd3fe643b83_Capture2.png

Edited by DarWun

Angelblue05

What happens if you delete both the entries in the server (second screenshot). Do both get recreated or only one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarWun

What happens if you delete both the entries in the server (second screenshot). Do both get recreated or only one?

@@Angelblue05 The second screenshot was taken after I had deleted both devices from the server.  When the server was restarted, the dashboard showed two active devices for Kodi (LibreELEC).  But only one device was recreated in the server device list.  I'll post logs tomorrow when I get home from work.

Edited by DarWun

DarWun

Delete of duplicate post.

Edited by DarWun

DarWun

@@Angelblue05 Here are logs from immediately after a point where the Emby for Kodi device was restarted.  Two devices showed up in the Emby server dashboard after the restart.

server.txt

kodi.log

Edited by DarWun

Angelblue05

Luke how do we fix this? There's still only one device id, but there's no way to flush the old device id from the server.

• 2 weeks later...
Dutchie388

delete AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.emby\data.txt

I came across this problem because it would not sync new shows to 2 clients, just one, i didnt realise emby saw them as the same ID.

That data.txt file seems to hold multiple ID's when you create a new one (on the kodi side)

I gave one client a new name in kodi under system/service settings... deleted both data.txt files, which it recreates as one ID, now all is well.

emby dash sees 2 clients as i named them, no duplicates or old ID's, and both update simultaneously.

P.S  (oh and i deleted all the devices in the emby dashboard as well so it can start a fresh list of devices that hook up)

Edited by Dutchie388

Angelblue05

No. That is not where the client id is held. At all.

horstepipe

What I‘m wondering regarding this issue:

How does the server/clients behave if you copy the Emby for Kodi settings/userdata from one Kodi instance to another? So how is being accomplished that the IDs are not duplicated?

horstepipe

Thanks but I was up to something else:

What if you also copy the files in the cache folder, so what happens when there are two clients with the same ID?

horstepipe

Yeah I thought so.

I‘m asking because I think most users will simply copy everything when they put into operation a second device.

Angelblue05

Then just hit generate a new device in the add-on settings > advanced. Restart Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

:-) I know, sorry I think it’s still not clear what I mean:

Let‘s say the ‚normal dumb‘ user has a Kodi device in his living room. It works well so he buys the same box for his bedroom, and as everything works so fine on the first device, he simply puts the whole configuration on the second one.

I‘m pretty sure there are lots of people doing it this way so I’m wondering how I (the admin) can see this case became true.

Angelblue05

Then you'd see two devices on your emby dashboard logged in at the same time, with the same name. But only one shows playing content? Is that was you are asking?

• Like 1

horstepipe

But then I still can’t be sure whether the devices have the same ID or just the same device name...?

horstepipe

Well I think you'd only see one if the server can't tell the difference.

This would mean users can setup more and more devices without my knowledge?

We're not going to act like this is a supported scenario. It's not. Just click the button to make a new device ID.

Maybe in the future Angelblu05 can come up with a better place to store it.

Angelblue05

No I can't. Cache is where it's supposed to go. It is outside of the addon_data folder. I am limited to the Kodi environment, I can't put it anywhere else. I even set up a way to backup and restore that avoids that issue. There's nothing more to be done here I'm afraid. If you clone your Kodi setup then you should know what you are doing, imo.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

This would mean users can setup more and more devices without my knowledge?

It would be glitchy as hell on their side. They'd encounter bugs with the websocket live updates from the server and more.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

It will have to be a documented install step. Sharing the device ID will result in various quirks. Also if you use the api to stop transcoding sessions for a device ID then that could be a problem.

does kodi internally have an installation id? I'm guessing not, but maybe it has a device id or uuid abstraction?