Force transcode on .strm

Croll12

Croll12

I have suspicions my ISP is throttling my connection so I am using a VPN on my server and transcoding Live TV.  Everything is working great and I would like to do the same with the strm files I setup for VOD content.  I see a lot of posts where it was previously always transcoding and they wanted it direct played, unfortunately that is the opposite of what I am trying to do.  Is this possible?

Hi, just curious of the underlying reason, is the bitrate too high, or is the format not compatible? The store app should always be routing through Emby Server regardless for strm files.

Croll12

When I look at the status from the server dashboard, it says direct playing. I would like it to be transcoded so the stream is over the vpn connection.

It should still be going through emby server. can you attach the emby server log? thanks.

Ok, looks like it might actually be direct playing to the remote url, which for the store app we never want to do. @@ebr will review this, thanks.

horstepipe

Ok, looks like it might actually be direct playing to the remote url, which for the store app we never want to do. @@ebr will review this, thanks.

Why do you never want it doing so?

Edited by horstepipe

Croll12

See original post. My ISP is throttling my connection. Having it transcoded will use the VPN tunnel for the streaming.

Why do you never want it doing so?

The store apps will always go through Emby Server for remote content, but that doesn't mean it will be transcoding. It can still direct stream when doing that.

• 2 months later...

Any update here?  It's been quite a while and my app updated but there still is no transcoding.

Hi, are you experiencing a playback problem? Can you please discuss that? Thanks !

Croll12

Back in April @@ebr mentioned transcoding of strm files will be fixed in the next beta version for the Fire TV.  It has been two months and I haven't noticed a difference.  Wondering when this will get done.

Back in April @@ebr mentioned transcoding of strm files will be fixed in the next beta version for the Fire TV.  It has been two months and I haven't noticed a difference.  Wondering when this will get done.

What, exactly, do you mean by "fixed".  What isn't working properly?  Are the items playing?

Croll12

I have already done all this. If you read the previous posts in this topic, logs files were submitted and the issue was found. It was also mentioned this would be resolved in the next Fire TV beta update. I am asking if this is done since it has been a few months and I haven’t seen any changes on my devices.

The reason I'm asking for it again is so that we can see the differences with the latest versions. We don't think the app will be direct playing anymore but if it is we will need to look at logging to find out why. Thanks.