stuttering, frame dropping with 24fps content since 2.9.9

lifespeed

Guest asrequested

@

Thanks for the guide.  I did it .  I did not test it intensively, but seems to be working great with both interlace and progressive content.

And no dropped frames?

Guest asrequested

No dropped frames.

Great! I think the issue may be with windows and electron. Using d3d for hwa is also being used for deinterlacing. With the Nvidia GPU, it's handled natively. I'll have to look at other deinterlacing options or hwa options.

Guest asrequested

Luke, have you explored the possibility that it maybe to do with the use of HWA for the UI? Isn't the UI relying on HWA with chromium?

lifespeed

If you have an Nvidia GPU and want to try using it to deinterlace, try this:

1. Follow this guide to set up using an mpv.conf

2. Add this line, to the mpv.conf

vd-lavc-o=deint=adaptive

3. In the Theater settings, set hardware acceleration to Cuda or Cuda copy back

4. Disable all other video filters, and set deinterlace to 'no'

5. Test playback 

Thank you, I will test this tonight and post the results.

Guest asrequested

I'm going to explore disabling HWA for the UI. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that's what is responsible for this, and many others reporting high resource usage. And also responsible for why I can't leave Theater open on my desktop while I'm browsing in Chrome. Browsing is very jerky, with Theater open on my desktop. If I minimize it to the taskbar, it's fine. Also, if I disable HWA in the browser, it works better. So I think this is all related to HWA for the UI in Theater.

Great info, thanks. There have been other threads where people had to swap mpv versions so i'm a little hesitant to just throw out a new release. i think @@Senna may have had an issue relating to a specific mpv version but i don't recall.

Guest asrequested

Great info, thanks. There have been other threads where people had to swap mpv versions so i'm a little hesitant to just throw out a new release. i think @@Senna may have had an issue relating to a specific mpv version but i don't recall.

I'll keep using it as I have it, and see how it behaves. But I do think re-evaluation of the HWA for the UI, is called for.

lifespeed

Tried setting nVidia hardware de-interlacing in the MPV.conf file as you suggested, and turning off deinterlacing in Emby config.  Cuda acceleration is on.  It appears to properly deinterlace 1080i Live TV.  But the stuttering video from non-interlaced 24p files still rears it's ugly head occasionally.  And, strangely, pausing and re-starting sometimes gets it to play smoothly again.

Senna

I had problems with Emby Theater 2.9.9 (Shinchiro mpv 0.28.0-367-gc15af6630f) for some Live TV channels : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57444-299-live-tv-broken-partly-working/&do=findComment&comment=561345 . In this topic Luke let me test a new Shinchiro build (mpv 0.28.0-401-gb4c6fb0f52) which solved my problem, with the problem channels of my Live TV.

I see that ET 3.0.0 still uses the same build I tested (Shinchiro mpv 0.28.0-401-gb4c6fb0f52), correct @@Luke ?

Or did the ET 3.0.0 update, not update MPV version on my system, because I had it manually deployed already ?

If needed, I can test the new Shinchiro build mentioned by with my Live TV channels, so Luke can decide after my test with Live TV, to use that version in new ET update.

Guest asrequested

Tried setting nVidia hardware de-interlacing in the MPV.conf file as you suggested, and turning off deinterlacing in Emby config.  Cuda acceleration is on.  It appears to properly deinterlace 1080i Live TV.  But the stuttering video from non-interlaced 24p files still rears it's ugly head occasionally.  And, strangely, pausing and re-starting sometimes gets it to play smoothly again.

That may be a driver, issue. You're using refresh rate switching?

lifespeed

That may be a driver, issue. You're using refresh rate switching?

Yes, I'm using refresh rate switching.  The problem started with 2.9.9, which seems to be what everybody else has noticed.  The nVidia GPU driver is current, video played using Shark007 directshow filters with MPC-BE doesn't have this problem.  It doesn't hurt to keep in mind I have another PC with a newer nVidia GPU doing exactly the same thing.

Edited by lifespeed

lifespeed

Try the mpv from post 32

Will do tonight.  No need to change the Electron software as well?  Is this simply a case of copying files into the MPV directory in \Appdata\Roaming\  ?

Guest asrequested

Try mpv, first. It's a zip file, just unzip directly to the mpv folder in Theater. If that doesn't help, then you can try the election beta. You may have a similar issue to me. Electron is my issue. Using the electron beta with different mpv builds, I don't get dropped frames. But the shinchiro mpv builds have the new commits rolled in. Looking at the mpv commits, a lot of them are varified. There are 435 commits at this point. So there are significant updates.

lifespeed

mpv-x86_64-20180407-git-ec62526 seems to have fixed the stuttering so far, will continue to look at it tonight.  I have not changed the electron version from what shipped with 3.0.0.  De-interlacing turned on in the MPV config file as shown above appears to work for 1080i live TV also, Emby de-interlacing is configured as "no".

If it makes sense to allow the nVidia GPU to de-interlace (and it certainly looks this way) there would need to be some logic applied to the CUDA acceleration setup and the de-interlacing menu in Emby, turning on GPU de-interlacing.

Guest asrequested

If Nvidia deinterlacing is going to be added to the settings, according to manual, if other filters are going to be used, cuda-copy should be used instead of cuda. It recommends cuda if no filters are being used

lifespeed

Good thing MadVR was dropped for a simpler solution that just works   ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lifespeed

So far I think this fix works fine.  Could the choice of CUDA acceleration be linked to GPU de-interlacing written in the MPV config file, while de-interlacing is removed from wherever it was applied for non-CUDA implementations?  It seemed this was causing stuttering.  And certainly a "complete" implementation of CUDA would inform MPV to take advantage of the nVidia card acceleration for de-interlacing as well.

It would be nice to see this in the next release if there aren't other concerns preventing inclusion of the fix.  I'm not sure what this would mean for the yes/auto/no de-interlacing menu in the context of an nVidia card.  Perhaps it is applied to a different location (MPV config file vs. somewhere else) controlled by the CUDA acceleration setting?

I think the issue of having the app do that is we don't know if that's something we should apply for everyone. There might be others not having the problem and as soon as we take away deinterlacing they'll just report that as a problem.

lifespeed

I think the issue of having the app do that is we don't know if that's something we should apply for everyone. There might be others not having the problem and as soon as we take away deinterlacing they'll just report that as a problem.

Telling MPV to de-interlace in the config file (vd-lavc-o=deint=adaptive) using the nVidia GPU is not taking it away, rather it would seem the most correct way to perform this function.  Additionally, I am only suggesting it is used when the user deliberately tells Emby to use CUDA acceleration.  Seems logical to me, although I admit I don't know how de-interlacing is handled when MPV is not doing it.

I have confirmed by watching it deinterlace 1080i live TV.

Edited by lifespeed