Search Not Working *3rd Gen Fire Stick*

maxumo

maxumo

Just checked the amazon website and it says the latest version is 1.5.88a

Do you have a direct .apk link I could try?

Edited by maxumo

Sorry, I mis-typed.  88 is the current release.

Are you saying the search on the front page still doesn't work?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Rondo5000

I am having these search issues on a Toshiba FireTV Edition (a smart TV with the FireTV functionality built in). 

Searching within a music library tab DOES indeed work for text and voice searches, but no other types of text or voice search in other parts of the program work at all. Clicking the tiny magnifying glass search in a "My Media" movie/tv detail page does nothing (nothing other than making the info beneath the selected title disappear for one second).  The magnifying glass button on the main home page does nothing either, so there is no way to search TV or films at all.  Edit: These are mixed media library folders, a dev reply above leads me to think that if they were Movie/Tv only that a search tab would appear in these groups just as they did for music folders.

Using Emby version 1.6.00a.

Great program otherwise!!  Best of luck solving the issue, if you need photos/debug info I'll do what I can to assist, though I don't have any sort of ADB or anything set up with this new TV yet.

Edited by Rondo5000

I just tested this again on a 3rd gen Fire Stick and it works for me.

Can I get one of you who still cannot make it work to send a log from the app after clicking on the search button on the home screen?

Thanks.

Rondo5000

Just now sent a log from the Toshiba Fire TV at about 3:00 pm EST.  If any more info is needed to find the report or further logs are needed just say the word (I will note that my internet has been having service issues today so if the log didn't send I'll retry later).  My thanks for the quick reply.  The logged in user was named "emby".

Edited by Rondo5000

Just now sent a log from the Toshiba Fire TV at about 3:00 pm EST.  If any more info is needed to find the report or further logs are needed just say the word (I will note that my internet has been having service issues today so if the log didn't send I'll retry later).  My thanks for the quick reply.  The logged in user was named "emby".

Thanks.

And you never saw any kind of prompt or anything?

The system is requesting the permission to search...

Rondo5000

Thanks.

And you never saw any kind of prompt or anything?

The system is requesting the permission to search...

I remember no permissions requests other than those which were involved with permissions related to purchasing the unlock for the app. I had the parental lock enabled so that stray purchases couldn't be made without a pin code. I just tried disabling parental lock and power cycling the TV but the problem persists. 

I also checked the permissions section under "Manage Installed Applications" and it reported for Emby that "This App currently does not require any permission", as far as pending or saved denials go.  Under "more info" the 4 standard are listed (Access information about networks, Open network sockets, etc.)

I reinstalled the app earlier, and just now I cleared the program data and cache and launched it again with the parental controls fully disabled but there were still no permission prompts.

Okay, thanks.

At this point, I'm thinking that Fire OS doesn't actually implement the on-demand permission system fully so I've put in a workaround for this in the beta that is headed up now.  Once you get it you can test and see if that is correct.

Thanks.

Rondo5000

Okay, thanks.

At this point, I'm thinking that Fire OS doesn't actually implement the on-demand permission system fully so I've put in a workaround for this in the beta that is headed up now.  Once you get it you can test and see if that is correct.

Thanks.

Thanks, glad to hear a workaround is in progress.  It may or may not be pointless for me to note but I have since had at least one app successfully ask for a further permission upon launch, the popular "Downloader" app by Aftvnews.  In its release notes (pictured alongside the permission query) it mentions "further compatibility fixes" for the 3rd generation Fire TV, so perhaps they've encountered and worked around this issue and the code-wise specifics on what these TV's are needing may be floating around out there somewhere.  Then again I've only owned a Fire OS device for a week and could be super wrong.  :blink:

5b58199c52c21_Selection_642.png

According to the FireOS docs, they should be supporting the on-demand permissions request.  But, I can see we are making the request but you don't ever get a prompt on screen so I'm not sure why.

It works fine on the Google Android TV devices and the search worked fine on my 3rd gen FTV stick - it didn't get stuck in the prompt because the app already had the permission it needed.  This was after just busting the package on the device and installing our app.

Spiderdan

I am having the same issue with the 3rd gen Fire Tv. Search does not work on the main screen or within the sub categories.

Volcade

I’m having the same issue on the fire tv cube. Text “Search” option works fine inside folder. Just search icon not working. Any workaround?

Rondo5000

I’m having the same issue on the fire tv cube. Text “Search” option works fine inside folder. Just search icon not working. Any workaround?

The developer 'ebr' stated in a post above that a potential workaround is in the beta build:

Okay, thanks.

Thanks.

The following link tells how to opt into the beta version of Emby for Fire TV:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

I had been fairly preoccupied and haven't opted into beta yet but I'm going to start the process now and I'll report back if the workaround worked.

Edited by Rondo5000

The current beta will be released to the general public within the next couple of days as well.

Thanks.

Rondo5000

New update has fixed the issue!!!

Thanks to all those involved

I can also confirm that all of the bugs I encountered are gone.  A big thanks to ebr and everyone else involved in reporting and solving the issue.  :D