Emby Server - Gapless Playback

jinithin

EduardoSantos
Err...

I am sorry to report something that...

Well I don't know if it is a bug but definitely impacts this new feature and compromises the effort made to make it happen.

When playing locally (LAN) all is well and the gapeless playback feature seems to work just as conceived.

When trying to remote play (WAN) an album, though, the feature will not work: it seems that the network latency or even traffic produces an audible gap just because server is trying to start casting the new track.

I really don't have info of how this feature was implemented but I would very humbly suggest the server should treat all music casting trough a transcoding process so it would create a unique stream joining tracks on the list.

Not everyone will like transcoding if it's not needed.

Yes, network delays can prevent it from being truly gapless. We might be able to play with having the player preload the next track while one is playing.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
HanzoX7

Bump here as well...

I'm in the process of migrating my song collection to Emby. A simple crossfader function for the AndroidTV app would do wonders.

• Like 2

Bump here as well...

I'm in the process of migrating my song collection to Emby. A simple crossfader function for the AndroidTV app would do wonders.

cross-fade and gapless are not the same thing at all...

HanzoX7

cross-fade and gapless are not the same thing at all...

Of course... This post already mentioned cross-fade, so I thought bumping made more sense than creating a new thread. 

Any news on Android TV etc gapless (crossfade) music playback?

• 3 months later...
stefan1983
50 minutes ago, ebr said:

We currently use the built-in Apple player for music on Apple TV.  

Any plans on changing that soon? Thanks

Just now, stefan1983 said:

Any plans on changing that soon? Thanks

I cannot say "soon".  If Apple doesn't support this directly in the future then we may take it on.

stefan1983
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

I cannot say "soon".  If Apple doesn't support this directly in the future then we may take it on.

Personally, I don't see this coming anytime soon. It has been an open issue for years now..., although iTunes does support it for years now...... 

So it seems to me more like a management decision to "not support" it there.

• 3 months later...
vdatanet
On 10/25/2019 at 6:48 PM, Dwarf said:

Any news on Android TV etc gapless (crossfade) music playback?

Using Apple TV gapless playback is supported (as long as it's direct playing) but Android TV does not support that (At least there is something in which the application for Apple TV beats the Android TV 😀

Is there any possibility to implement this on Android TV or is it a limitation of Exoplayer?

Exoplayer seems to support gapless playback using the ConcatenatingMediaSource class:

https://exoplayer.dev/doc/reference/com/google/android/exoplayer2/source/ConcatenatingMediaSource.html

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Does it work with the mobile beta?

Great! It works using mobile beta.

d3adc0ps

So...this thread is 2.5 years old and you guys STILL haven't sorted this out??  Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me. Uninstalling. Thanks anyway.

vdatanet
5 hours ago, d3adc0ps said:

So...this thread is 2.5 years old and you guys STILL haven't sorted this out??  Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me. Uninstalling. Thanks anyway.

Since android mobile beta supports gapless playback, I do not think it will take so long before it is incorporated into the Android TV application. 

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

I hope they incorporate it soon because listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with gaps is sacrilege.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
vdatanet

For those who are interested in gapless playback, I share my solution. This solution requires:

1. Have Emby's DLNA server active
2. Have the mconnect application (upnp player application) installed on the mobile phone
3. Have an upnp player device, I use iFi Zen Stream, but any upnp device should work

In the mconnect application, the Emby DLNA Server is selected as source and the upnp player device is selected as "Play to" device. This way we get gapless bit-to-bit playback.

If we send the audio directly to the upnp device from any Emby application (for example iOS) there are huge gaps between tracks.

vdatanet
On 1/24/2022 at 1:34 PM, Drosophila said:

Support for gapless playback via Chromcast is really needed!

Chromecast has not been designed with gapless playback in mind, all applications that cast to chromecast,  produce gaps between tracks, except Roon, they have designed a system that sends tracks continuously as a single track without gaps, but as far as I know, it is quite complex.