jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts
  • Local time: 01:03 AM
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

I have an 2017 nVidia Shield connected directly to my stereo TV. For Audio, I have a pair of Sennheiser Headphones (TR195) which accept a digiital PCM signal...

Is there any way in which I can enforce Audio encoding from DD, DTS etc to PCM? Either from the App or the Server will do. At the moment everything is encoded/decoded to Stereo and I wanted to see if audio is improved - maybe surround sound? via PCM.

thanks

#2 Jdiesel ONLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2650 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 AM
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:53 AM

Stereo is 2 channel PCM

#3 jordy OFFLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:58 AM

Stereo is 2 channel PCM

yes, I am aware of that thks. I believe there is also 5.1ch PCM, which is what I'm hoping I can get and use

#4 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46099 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Your headphones support multi-channel PCM input?

How?

#5 jordy OFFLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

I'm not actually sure that they do :) I just wanted to see if feeding them 5.1ch PCM made any difference to the experience. Hence the question.

#6 Jdiesel ONLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

I'm not actually sure that they do :) I just wanted to see if feeding them 5.1ch PCM made any difference to the experience. Hence the question.

Unless they have an HDMI input I'm not sure how they would.

#7 jordy OFFLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

They have an optical audio input and the manual says they can accept/decode PCM audio. Doesn't specify how many channels. As I said to @ebr, I just want to see if the experience is better with 5.1ch input. No biggie if its not possible, but my theory is - if Android TV can mux 5.1ch DD or DTS etc down to Stereo PCM, then it should also be possible to mux it to 5.1 PCM? A reasonable question?

#8 Jdiesel ONLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

They have an optical audio input and the manual says they can accept/decode PCM audio. Doesn't specify how many channels. As I said to @ebr, I just want to see if the experience is better with 5.1ch input. No biggie if its not possible, but my theory is - if Android TV can mux 5.1ch DD or DTS etc down to Stereo PCM, then it should also be possible to mux it to 5.1 PCM? A reasonable question?

Optical connections are limited to 2 channel PCM

#9 jordy OFFLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

er no. I'm talking about the Optical Audio connection that is commonly used between a DVD player and a Receiver/Amp to carry 5.1ch audio pre HDMI, also commonly known as Toslink etc

Edited by jordy, 19 March 2018 - 07:30 PM.

• CBers likes this

#10 Jdiesel ONLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2650 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

I tried...
  • jordy likes this

#11 jordy OFFLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I'm also thinking about Gaming Headsets... They are supposed to have virtual surround sound, I haven't experienced it personally but my son assures me they do. My headphones were not cheap (AUD$500+) probably more than a lot of gaming headsets so it's entirely possible that they also have some sort of vitualisation capacity.

Anyway, a friend of mine once said that if there's something you don't know or are not sure about - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask! :)

#12 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46099 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

er no. I'm talking about the Optical Audio connection that is commonly used between a DVD player and a Receiver/Amp to carry 5.1ch audio pre HDMI, also commonly known as Toslink etc

Yes, and that connection is limited to 2 channel PCM.  The way you get multi-channel out of that connection to a receiver is by sending compressed audio formats like DD and DTS that the receiver then decodes.

• jordy likes this

#13 jordy OFFLINE  

jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

Yes, and that connection is limited to 2 channel PCM.  The way you get multi-channel out of that connection to a receiver is by sending compressed audio formats like DD and DTS that the receiver then decodes.

OK, I understand. No problem.

thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Android TV, PCM Audio, nVidia Shield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users