Schedules recordings not starting and computer sleep issues

davz289

davz289

I've been using Emby for a while now, but I just started trying out the Live TV functionality and so far I haven't been able to get a schedule recording to work correctly.

Today I had a program scheduled to record and I turned off sleep mode (see secondary issue below) so that the server machine was certain to be running at the time of the recording, and the recording never started. When I checked on the recording a little over 3 hours after it was supposed to start there were files or any other indication that the recording was even attempted.  When I checked the Live TV settings it still showed that the program was supposed to be recorded.  Interestingly enough, when I opened the server configuration it appeared that may have in some way triggered the recording to start, as the folder and associated files were created right after I opened the configuration. 

Yesterday I scheduled a recording and then left for a while and when I came back the computer was asleep. The recording appeared to start and run until which point the computer reached it's normal sleep timeout (1 hour) and at that point apparently the active Emby recording task was insufficient to prevent the computer from entering sleep mode. When I started a recording manually and then set the computer to sleep within 2 minutes, it appeared that the recording task prevented the computer from going to sleep, so I'm not sure what the difference is between those two methods.

I don't know exactly where to start tracking this problem down, but hopefully I just have some settings incorrect?  

I'd certainly like the computer the be able to go into sleep mode at some point, so the ability to wake it up for a recording or prevent it from sleeping during a recording would certainly be nice to have.  I know that the wake timers are scheduled to be implemented soon, but hopefully there's a fix for the computer sleeping during an active recording as well.

The server machine is Windows 10 x64.  TV tuner is a HomeRun connect quatro.

Thanks!  

server-63656929423.txt

Hi, with the next release of emby server we'll have the ability to wake the server for recordings.

Please try turning off the recording conversion feature and let us know if that resolves the issue. Thanks.

davz289

I turned off the recording conversion feature and then scheduled a recording for a show that started about 15 minutes in the future and that recording started as expected.  I am going to turn the recording conversion feature back on and schedule another recording to see if I can duplicate the problem from earlier.  I'll report back on that attempt later.

Thanks.

The reason i suggested not using it is because we are going to be introducing a feature to convert after the recording process. Once we have that the realtime conversion feature will be deprecated as it's turned out to just not be realistic to fully achieve.

davz289

Thanks for the insight Luke.  For the record, the other show I scheduled after turning back on auto convert worked just fine as well, so I'm not really sure what the issue was with the recording that was scheduled this morning.  I'll schedule some more recordings for farther in the future and see if I can reproduce the issue.  Hopefully my experience this morning was just an erroneous occurrence and not something that will keep recurring.  

Thanks!