XML & NFO Questions

moviefan

5 hours ago, tedfroop said:

Sorry for probably covering ground that may have been covered here already but I have difficulty with logic and cognition at times, and following threads is difficult at best.......

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the interests of preserving backing up and restoring in case of trouble I need help understanding this.

- If I take a file, lets say a Looney Tunes cartoon, and add metadata,  say adding the cartoon characters as actors.  And add photos and bio for those characters,  IF I don't have NFO metadata savers active, then all the meta I change is saved to the XML database (both actor and file).  IF I do a full refresh and don't have the file data locked - it disappears?  I would have to go back and add those "actors" again?

- If I choose to go to NFO savers, the meta is saved to the NFO any time the meta is edited.  Say for instance adding tags, actors, editing episode descriptions etc?

- How is the added actor data saved?  How do I ensure its backed up? Is that part of what the server backup plugin does?

If you do a full refresh of metadata, then your custom edits can get lost if the fields are not locked, yes.

The actor list for a movie is saved with the movie metadata. The information for each actor is currently only in the server database.

• Like 1

tedfroop
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

The actor list for a movie is saved with the movie metadata. The information for each actor is currently only in the server database.

Is there a method for backing that up?

NFO's sound the safest for me - I tend to miss doing things like locking fields etc.

Edited by tedfroop

On 7/2/2023 at 11:13 PM, tedfroop said:

Is there a method for backing that up?

NFO's sound the safest for me - I tend to miss doing things like locking fields etc.

Actor lists go with movie metadata, so those get backed up however you normally backup your movie metadata.

If you edit the description of an actor though, that goes into the database and is a little trickier to backup at this time. Ultimately if you want to bring it to a new server installation, our guidance is to bring the whole install, data folder and all.

• Thanks 1

tedfroop
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Actor lists go with movie metadata, so those get backed up however you normally backup your movie metadata.

If you edit the description of an actor though, that goes into the database and is a little trickier to backup at this time. Ultimately if you want to bring it to a new server installation, our guidance is to bring the whole install, data folder and all.

OK.  Sounds good.  I have done that for eons with Windows, install the base program and then copy the file folder from machine A to machine B.  Just have never done it in Linux before. 

I am guessing (standard Ubuntu install) that backing up /var/lib/emby  should suffice?

5 hours ago, tedfroop said:

OK.  Sounds good.  I have done that for eons with Windows, install the base program and then copy the file folder from machine A to machine B.  Just have never done it in Linux before. 

I am guessing (standard Ubuntu install) that backing up /var/lib/emby  should suffice?

Yes, the data folder: 

Emby Server Data Folder

• Thanks 1