XML & NFO Questions

moviefan

@@gnollo Did you happen to read this post earlier in this thread?

You can have Emby create NFOs with your existing info. Then you can just delete the XMLS and be done with MCM forever.

Yes but how do i destroy the database? Is it a file that I delete? Also how do you ensure that Emby will download the correct metadata? How do you correct it if it goes wrong? Or if you want to change the date added for a group of movies?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

No. Is there a tutorial?

Try clicking the 3-dot menu on a movie,then click Identify. then just follow the on-screen instructions. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Try clicking the 3-dot menu on a movie,then click Identify. then just follow the on-screen instructions. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Will do. I'm also having playback issues so I'm actually thinking of nuking, fresh install, then restauring the backup. I'm guessing that Emby will perform a fresh library scan and read the local nfos I created?

casedizzy

No. Is there a tutorial?

I really respect the level of adulthood and civility in this thread.  I commend each and every one of you for maintaining a level head. Apart from being entertaining yet, anti-climatic, I also strongly identified with the intense feelings of resistance in not wanting to change systems (due to the incredible amount of human labor invested).  I even played some montage music while reading page three, as the OP was coming around in spite of overwhelming adversity!  I salute all of you! And thus I felt the need to contribute this crude tutorial on the Emby "identify" feature.

In closing, after adding up all the hours spent on this issue (as well as other metadata issues across various platforms) I can't help ask the question, "What will be written on our tombstones?"

5e08b4a3773f1_yikes.jpg

I really respect the level of adulthood and civility in this thread. I commend each and every one of you for maintaining a level head. Apart from being entertaining yet, anti-climatic, I also strongly identified with the intense feelings of resistance in not wanting to change systems (due to the incredible amount of human labor invested). I even played some montage music while reading page three, as the OP was coming around in spite of overwhelming adversity! I salute all of you! And thus I felt the need to contribute this crude tutorial on the Emby "identify" feature.

In closing, after adding up all the hours spent on this issue (as well as other metadata issues across various platforms) I can't help ask the question, "What will be written on our tombstones?"

5e08b4a3773f1_yikes.jpg

Nice, thank you for the tutorial. I moved from mymovies to mediabrowser then Emby. I understand pain. Every time I upgraded anything connected to metadata, without fail. Perhaps they should write on our graves: "never learned that if it ain't broke, you don't need to fix "

Tried the three dots but as I have all emby metadata functionality turned off, it wont work. Also Timelord does not work at all for me, I paid for the full copy. Do I need the metadata turned on for it to work?

Happy2Play

Tried the three dots but as I have all emby metadata functionality turned off, it wont work. Also Timelord does not work at all for me, I paid for the full copy. Do I need the metadata turned on for it to work?

Well TimeLord needs a Premiere/Release date to be able to change DateAdd.  So it either needs to come from existing metadata or a online source.

Edited by Happy2Play

Well TimeLord needs a Premiere/Release date to be able to change DateAdd. So it either needs to come from existing metadata or a online source.

Example here. I got movie.xml and .nfo file in the folder. The info is there I think. Will test with metadata sources turned on in Emby as well.mulholland drive.nfo.zip

Happy2Play

It would appear to a issue with the nfo releasedate format.  Using your nfo file the release date was never populated.

Doesn't work

<releasedate>4/9/2002</releasedate>

Works

<releasedate>2002-09-04</releasedate>

My third party nfo files are written in that latter format.

So I honestly do not know where your issue lies.  Also noted a issue with the IMDB links being broken from extra nfo tags.

It would appear to a issue with the nfo releasedate format. Using your nfo file the release date was never populated.

Doesn't work

<releasedate>4/9/2002</releasedate>
Works
<releasedate>2002-09-04</releasedate>
My third party nfo files are written in that latter format.

So I honestly do not know where your issue lies. Also noted a issue with the IMDB links being broken from extra nfo tags.

Jesus. I created the movie.xml files using MCM. Then I created external metadata files using MCM. Then I even refreshed the data with MCM by dragging the folder across to it.

I think I'm ready for the killing the database option and letting Emby deal with the metadata from now on.

So, as long as the data format is wrong in the existing movie.xml. the only way to fix it is to delete the xml and nfo and create new ones. Pain. I think I will go for this option for now and clean up the old files that appear in the first five pages of movies. From now on I am creating new nfos which will have the correct format.

Happy2Play

So, as long as the data format is wrong in the existing movie.xml. the only way to fix it is to delete the xml and nfo and create new ones. Pain. I think I will go for this option for now and clean up the old files that appear in the first five pages of movies. From now on I am creating new nfos which will have the correct format.

@@Luke would have to comment on being able to read that format.  To me it must be a locale issues as I currently can not reproduce the format you have presented.  Are you seeing that same format in the xml and nfo files?

Is that same format shown in a nfo that Emby creates?

@@Luke would have to comment on being able to read that format. To me it must be a locale issues as I currently can not reproduce the format you have presented. Are you seeing that same format in the xml and nfo files?

Is that same format shown in a nfo that Emby creates?

I'm seeing the same format in some old xmls and in the MCM converted nfos.

I don't see the wrong format in either if I create a new xml/nfo with MCM.

Once it's there, can't get rid of it unless I delete the two files.

I have no idea how an Emby nfo looks like.

Happy2Play

I'm seeing the same format in some old xmls and in the MCM converted nfos.

I don't see the wrong format in either if I create a new xml/nfo with MCM.

Once it's there, can't get rid of it unless I delete the two files.

I have no idea how an Emby nfo looks like.

If the existing xml format is already that way then MCM will export it to nfo that way.  So the old xmls have to be refetched.  Also ensuring "fetching metadata overwrites existing metadata" is enable on the Mode menu/tab.

So you are only seeing a issue on items with these old xmls in this date format?

• Like 1

Someone could update the xml plugin to handle whatever formats are desired. We just don't have the bandwidth to do any new development ourselves on the xml format. Nfo is what's included in the server and that's all we can handle right now.

Also, deleting the releasedate line in the xml file means that the refresh with MCM corrects xml and nfo files. There might be a way to write a script that would delete that line across all the xml files, so i could perform a quick refresh preserving all the movie metadata choices i made in the last 15 years

If the existing xml format is already that way then MCM will export it to nfo that way.  So the old xmls have to be refetched.  Also ensuring "fetching metadata overwrites existing metadata" is enable on the Mode menu/tab.

So you are only seeing a issue on items with these old xmls in this date format?

Bingo.overwriting did the trick. All is well in my latest movies list again.

only issue left is with folders with movies that go across multiple files, emby thinks its two movies

Happy2Play

Bingo.overwriting did the trick. All is well in my latest movies list again.

only issue left is with folders with movies that go across multiple files, emby thinks its two movies

How are they named?

gnollo

Happy New Year everyone. The fact that it was two files was a coincidence. The movie did not show the folder.jpg cover in the Emby movies dashboard because there was a subfolder (Subtitles). Removed it and it behaved as I expected. I'm guessing I have to remove subfolders in folders containing movies?