Subtitle size

rashpy

corey

@@rashpy — the answer depends on which type of subtitles are being delivered. If they are the subtitles that have a solid black background with white text those are provided natively by Apple and you can change the size in the Settings > General > Accessibility.

Any other subtitles (white text with a black border) are ones we have provided in a custom fashion and we currently don’t have the capability to allow users to change the size of them.

Senna

@@Luke & @corey, All types off subtitle, embedded AND external srt subs can be controlled by the Apple TV settings  !!

When EXTERNAL subtitles are chosen BEFORE play, Apple settings are IN CONTROL for subtitle size, color, font etc. for external AND embedded subs....

So when movie is playing with external subs, you can directly switch to embedded subs and you will see that the Apple settings are used for embedded subs too.

This is NOT happening when embedded subs are chosen before play.

corey

@@Senna -- 

From a technical perspective it depends if the subtitles are delivered as part of HLS (HTTP Live Streaming). Any subs delivered over HLS can be controlled by the tvOS / Apple TV settings. However, there are cases where content is delivered and it uses a custom subtitle rendering that we wrote. In this case the tvOS / Apple TV settings cannot control/change the subtitle rendering.

Senna

Attached ,example of media info where the Apple TV is in control of subtitle settings when movie is started with srt subs.

During play when user switches to embedded subs, same sub style is applied to embedded subs, when the user has overrides applied in Apple settings. Easy to test with setting the subtitle color to yellow in Apple settings.

Maybe it is time for an Emby subtitle guide for Apple TV users in the wiki, because a lot of confusion is around concerning subtitles on the Apple TV with the Emby app.

post-253884-0-23295900-1520808026_thumb.png

corey

In this case the video is being direct streamed via HLS because of the MKV container swap so external subs are being provided in HLS as well.

I agree it’s currently a confusing situation but hopefully we’ll have a remedy for that at some point :)

Edited by corey

Senna

Indeed confusing, because it took quite some time for me, to understand what was happening with subtitles on the Apple TV and to learn how to control it.

As even Luke is not fully aware of what is possible for Apple users to control subtitles for every scenario, seeing that you are working on a easier Emby solution for users to control subtitles, is something I look forward too. Just as using a non native player for the Apple TV Emby app ;)

samuelqwe

Is there any way to force subtitles to always have the black transparent background? Personally, I think it's easier to see compared to completely white text, especially in bright scenes. From my understanding, while mp4 is directly played the subtitles have to be custom rendered by Emby, and when it's in a different format like mkv, the HLS protocol sends the subtitles with the stream, and the Apple TV can display those natively? This is all really confusing to me, and if you guys could figure out a way for subtitles to always show up like the native ones on the Apple TV, that would be awesome. If I have to, I'll convert all my movies and shows in mkv, even though the Apple TV seems to playback mp4 a lot smoother, just because subtitles are nearly unviewable when they are plain text.

just because subtitles are nearly unviewable when they are plain text.

Hi.  The font we are using has a black outline on the text and I haven't seen a lot of problems with this.  Does your rendering not have this outline?

samuelqwe

Hi. The font we are using has a black outline on the text and I haven't seen a lot of problems with this. Does your rendering not have this outline?

Now I see it, but it’s so thin on my TV that it is hard to see when sitting about 10 feet from the TV. I can only see it well when I’m within 6 feet of the TV.