New here! Impressions from a former Plex user

mikkelnl

mikkelnl

Hi!

After trying Emby server beta on Shield, I tried the server on my synology: works great! I even bought a year Premiere.

Been using Plex for a year now but Plex won’t play my iMovie videos shot in 4K for some reason and that has been bothering me for some time. Emby server handles these fine! Awesome!

The only thing I guess I really miss, compared to using Plex: the user interface for the Emby Android tv app is not as ‘classy’ as Plex. It feel rough around the edges, like it could use some polish. It’s the small details but my suggestion to the devs would be to analyze Plex a bit and see how Plex is great in simplicity.

But again, minor ‘issue’ of course. :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Edited by mikkelnl

CBers

@@mikkelnl Not sure how you think the Emby ATV app UI is not as "classy" as the Plex version, but I have used both and the Emby is far superior than the Plex version.

Perhaps you can list your observations please.

• Like 1

mikkelnl

Hi there, welcome. Do you have any specific suggestions?

I’ll try :)

These are of course all a matter of taste, not facts ;)

The library tiles are filled with cover art, I’d make these simpler: like the ones in Plex: just an icon so hey stand out against the actual content which does use art.

The background on the home screen uses a blur in Plex: make the rather busy screen a bit less busy I think.

The watched indicators are more subtle in Plex.

I think this one might be a setting? But I think posters are better suitable then fanart for ‘Latest’ and ‘Next up’ sections.

May I’ll think of more, these come to mind right now but I am not using the app at the moment :)

mikkelnl

@@mikkelnl Not sure how you think the Emby ATV app UI is not as "classy" as the Plex version, but I have used both and the Emby is far superior than the Plex version.

Perhaps you can list your observations please.

Again: no criticism here, just personal taste which I think might help winning people over, especially former Plex users.

I am not stating Plex is better per se, I just feel they have a more polished user interface. Which is not a fact, just a matter of taste.

Like you, I use both, but I am not statin one is superior, I am simply trying to give some feedback why I think Plex is known for their ‘less is more’ interface. Which might be a good thing :)

I use both myself but actually prefer the Emby version overall more for looks and functionality with a few quirks.

Very slow movie loading on Emby (in general for me) but I have over 10K movies. Very fast on Plex.

Slower searching in Emby across the board. Can take several seconds for usable results vs near instantaneous in Plex.

Watched Status is a bit more "funky" in Emby vs Plex.

No easy way in TV Shows to do previous/next episode on the detail page.

Trailers open YouTube app vs integrated trailers in Plex (with Plex Pass).

No continuous FF/RW but only 30 second FF/10 second RW per key press (drives me crazy for sporting events)

I highly dislike horizontal lists of movies and much prefer vertical listings.  Who ever thought horizontal (besides Netflix) was a good idea?  People make lists vertically and it's much easier and less fatiguing to read lists things vertical.  Think about it, do you write grocery lists vertical or horizontal? Why?

But in almost every other facet I find the Emby UI better.  You get complete actor lists not just the main ones.  You can click on actors and see other movies and shows they've been in (can't do this in Plex). You have much more control over Emby layout as well including the theme to size of icons and how many icons per screen you have.

I'd pick Emby hands down if it had vertical library listings and if you could hold down FF/RW buttons to advance though content.

CBers

if you could hold down FF/RW buttons to advance though content.

You know you can press it multiple times and then it will react?

For example, if you press FF 10 times, it will jump 5 minutes.

RW is the same.

You know you can press it multiple times and then it will react?

For example, if you press FF 10 times, it will jump 5 minutes.

RW is the same.

Try flipping back and forth watching two NFL football games that way on Sunday.  I typically like to watch the 1st quarter of one game then switch to the other game and do the same.  Due to the timeouts, commercials, half time etc you can just about watch 2 football games in 5 quarters of real-time play.

Emby doesn't track where you left off in recordings in progress so you have no choice but to FF.  Once you get to half time you're talking about 2 hours into a game which is 120 FF presses.  No thanks. :)

Ironically, this past NFL season I recorded with Emby but pointed a Plex recording library at them.  I then used Plex to watch the games being recorded.  Plex not only would remember position where you left off but makes the FF super easy.  Only downside is that if/when you get caught up to live you had to exit and go back in.  But since I would switch between two 1pm and two 4pm games this worked OK.  Sunday night and Monday night games I watch normally in Emby.

Carlo

CBers

For those that don't have, or haven't seen the Plex Android TV app, here is what it looks like:

Plex_20180311_142507.png Plex_20180311_142518.png

Compared to Emby's app:

Emby_20180311_142544.png Emby_20180311_142557.png

The Emby app is much better in my opinion :)

CBers

Try flipping back and forth watching two NFL football games that way on Sunday.  I typically like to watch the 1st quarter of one game then switch to the other game and do the same.  Due to the timeouts, commercials, half time etc you can just about watch 2 football games in 5 quarters of real-time play.

Emby doesn't track where you left off in recordings in progress so you have no choice but to FF.  Once you get to half time you're talking about 2 hours into a game which is 120 FF presses.  No thanks. :)

Ironically, this past NFL season I recorded with Emby but pointed a Plex recording library at them.  I then used Plex to watch the games being recorded.  Plex not only would remember position where you left off but makes the FF super easy.  Only downside is that if/when you get caught up to live you had to exit and go back in.  But since I would switch between two 1pm and two 4pm games this worked OK.  Sunday night and Monday night games I watch normally in Emby.

Carlo

Well, that's a different scenario :)

If there are problems with Emby where it doesn't "track where you left off in recordings", then raise a separate post and perhaps @@Luke can do something about it.

CBers The new Plex client (you might not have access yet) does away with the pop out left menu (stupid). Plex is dumbing down their UIs while Emby is adding features and content/features.

Plex is also moving to a content first menu system where there is only specific types of content (ie movies, shows, photos, music, other) and if you have multiple libraries of a specific type you need to use sub menus to choose a library.  This makes quick library access more tedious.  They continue with this to the objections of users (PMP, Xbox so far).  They get certain "ideas" in their head and no amount of user comments/threads or user frustration changes their minds.  Poor.

Concerning the other thing mentioned in Emby watching a recording in progress and then exiting doesn't save my progress in Emby.  So then I always have to start at the beginning (a total drag for long sports events). At least this was what I experienced during NFL season.

I know from the other thread the FF (hold button) is being addressed so that's super and will help a lot.

Carlo

PS I don't think you did Emby justice in those comparison shots.  You should also show a movie and TV Episode detail screen from each to show how much more info Emby has over the Plex UI.  Or show DVR/Live TV options between the two.  Oh wait Plex doesn't have a grid EPG so you can't show that. :)

• Like 2

@@cayars - Are you running the latest Android TV beta ??

"Improve FF and Rew (press and hold)" now in latest beta version (v1.5.59).

yes running 1.5.59g

Recordings don't track progress nor does holding FF.  When I hold FF it does nothing until I release the button then get 30 seconds.  I just tested this on the game controller with a recording in progress I'm watching.

CBers

yes running 1.5.59g

Recordings don't track progress nor does holding FF.  When I hold FF it does nothing until I release the button then get 30 seconds.  I just tested this on the game controller with a recording in progress I'm watching.

Hopefully @@ebr can comment on that.

CBers

PS I don't think you did Emby justice in those comparison shots.  You should also show a movie and TV Episode detail screen from each to show how much more info Emby has over the Plex UI.  Or show DVR/Live TV options between the two.  Oh wait Plex doesn't have a grid EPG so you can't show that. :)

Plex movie page

Plex_20180311_152807.png

Emby movie page

Emby_20180311_152738.png

yes running 1.5.59g

Please take this to the testing forum and let me know exactly what button on the controller you used.  Thx.

cybergrimes

The library tiles are filled with cover art, I’d make these simpler: like the ones in Plex: just an icon so hey stand out against the actual content which does use art.

You can customize this, from the web interface right click on the library -> select 'Edit Images' and add your own desired icon for the folder. I'm using some found here on the forums called 'Flat EHS'

The only part I found off putting about Emby was the Live TV library being the generic folder icon but once I changed it I was fine. Not a big deal, much happier here for so many reasons compared to Plex...

Edited by cybergrimes

mikkelnl

You can customize this, from the web interface right click on the library -> select 'Edit Images' and add your own desired icon for the folder. I'm using some found here on the forums called 'Flat EHS'

The only part I found off putting about Emby was the Live TV library being the generic folder icon but once I changed it I was fine. Not a big deal, much happier here for so many reasons compared to Plex...

Thanks for the tip!

arrbee99

Plex movie page

Plex_20180311_152807.png

Emby movie page

Emby_20180311_152738.png

That just shows a pet hate (one of many I know) - move the cast and crew images down a bit so they don't show, but leave the 'Cast/Crew' heading so people know to scroll down.

• Like 1

mikkelnl

Just noticed something strange (still new to Emby, so bit of a n00b here)... 

When I play a HVEC/x265 movie, skipping forward in the movie, or selecting the resume-feature takes a while to start the movie. It takes about 30 seconds to start playing on that mark. This does not happen with 'regular' x264 content.

I am running Emby Server on a Synology Nas, but it is not transcoding, since the Shield Emby app 'direct plays' this file (it also shows up as direct play on the server dashboard).

Is this expected behavior or is something not setup properly?

mikkelnl

Another small question: in the Android TV app, I have a section 'Latest Shows' and a section 'Laatste Films'. So TV Shows is in English, and the latest movies label is in Dutch...? 

CBers

...and not to be too contrary, but I like horizontal scrolling.

Me too, although only in the ATV app :)

• Like 1

cybergrimes

Another small question: in the Android TV app, I have a section 'Latest Shows' and a section 'Laatste Films'. So TV Shows is in English, and the latest movies label is in Dutch...? 

Just a guess but maybe check library settings from server dashboard-- possibly set library to Dutch language by an accidental scrolling (it's only a few up from English on the list)

5aa5a01ed338f_Untitled.png

Edited by cybergrimes

mikkelnl

Just a guess but maybe check library settings from server dashboard-- possibly set library to Dutch language by an accidental scrolling (it's only a few up from English on the list)

5aa5a01ed338f_Untitled.png

Yeah that was my initial thought as well but both are setup correctly I believe: both set to Dutch/Flemmish and Netherlands. (I’m from holland)

Strange...!