New here! Impressions from a former Plex user

mikkelnl

That just shows a pet hate (one of many I know) - move the cast and crew images down a bit so they don't show, but leave the 'Cast/Crew' heading so people know to scroll down.

This is pretty well-tested UI design these days.  The ability to see the partial images is an immediate clue that there is content below to scroll to.  Just a line of text with nothing below it doesn't convey this same information as quickly and decidedly and could easily just look like you have no cast/crew.

Just noticed something strange (still new to Emby, so bit of a n00b here)... 

When I play a HVEC/x265 movie, skipping forward in the movie, or selecting the resume-feature takes a while to start the movie. It takes about 30 seconds to start playing on that mark. This does not happen with 'regular' x264 content.

I am running Emby Server on a Synology Nas, but it is not transcoding, since the Shield Emby app 'direct plays' this file (it also shows up as direct play on the server dashboard).

Is this expected behavior or is something not setup properly?

I'm gonna guess the bitrates of the two are also fairly different?

Another small question: in the Android TV app, I have a section 'Latest Shows' and a section 'Laatste Films'. So TV Shows is in English, and the latest movies label is in Dutch...? 

This has all changed in the current beta (next release) as the rows will all be the same as what you see in the web and mobile apps.

• Like 1

mikkelnl

I'm gonna guess the bitrates of the two are also fairly different?

Yeah I guess so. Would have to check later to be sure. But never had this issue with Plex, so I am curious if this is ‘normal’?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

"Normal" is impossible to gauge :).

I have a number of HEVC test items and they all start very quickly in my environment.

Me too, although only in the ATV app :)

For me I think this is easier to find movies:

A B C D E F G 

H I J K L M N

O P Q R S T U

V W X Y Z

vs

A D G J M P S V Y

B E H K N Q T W Z

C F I L O R U X

It's the ordering more than anything else I guess.  I just find it easier to scan the first method then the second to find things.

It's like this in some of the other app.

Ideally if it were configurable/Skinable we could each choose the format to use.

The other thing I wish we had was the alphabet either over top (horizontal) or on the side (vertical) like in Plex and other Emby apps.  With a large amount of movies this is quite helpful to have without having to go up and access it from a menu which is a bit awkward IMHO.  Maybe I'm just really used to this functionality in the Plex app.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

CBers

The other thing I wish we had was the alphabet either over top (horizontal) or on the side (vertical) like in Plex and other Emby apps. With a large amount of movies this is quite helpful to have without having to go up and access it from a menu which is a bit awkward IMHO. Maybe I'm just really used to this functionality in the Plex app.

You can select the "alphabet" option in the library view already, and then select the starting letter on the list.

arrbee99

This is pretty well-tested UI design these days.  The ability to see the partial images is an immediate clue that there is content below to scroll to.  Just a line of text with nothing below it doesn't convey this same information as quickly and decidedly and could easily just look like you have no cast/crew.

Guess we'll never agree, but could always add a down arrow in the bottom left hand corner

You can select the "alphabet" option in the library view already, and then select the starting letter on the list.

Yes I acknowledged this but that's not what I was saying.  I was saying the A-Z was ALWAYS on screen either up top/bottom or on the right side.  Like it is in other Emby clients or better yet just like it is in the Plex Android client.  In Plex it's not a FILTER but a JUMP TO.

Instead of "filtering" the content by letter it's more useful to just jump to that letter while NOT filtering.  So for example in Plex I could select U then scroll up to find "Two Weeks Notice (2002)" since this is quicker then selecting T then scrolling through hundreds of Ts to get to the end of the list.  Easier to start at the end and work up the list.

Jumping to the letter allows it to be used like I just mentioned which you can't do with a filter.

• Like 1

1080p4me

Being new and trying a free 30 day plex pass as well as Emby imo Emby has much more features. I would like to see the ability to scroll vertical or horizontal as a user preference personally I like vertical like the theater version and the phone version. In addition it would be great for android tv app to allow live tv without saying I need a tuner on a m3u file that works on all my non android tv versions. I would download the android version on my shield but it only gives me one option in the play store. I know I could grab a apk in another way.

mikkelnl

Being new and trying a free 30 day plex pass as well as Emby imo Emby has much more features. I would like to see the ability to scroll vertical or horizontal as a user preference personally I like vertical like the theater version and the phone version. In addition it would be great for android tv app to allow live tv without saying I need a tuner on a m3u file that works on all my non android tv versions. I would download the android version on my shield but it only gives me one option in the play store. I know I could grab a apk in another way.

What hardware do you use as the server?

In addition it would be great for android tv app to allow live tv without saying I need a tuner on a m3u file that works on all my non android tv versions.

Can you please explain this in a new thread?

How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

1080p4me

Can you please explain this in a new thread?

How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

This is actually a non issue must have been tired and read tuner when it said tune instead of play. Edited by 1080p4me

1080p4me

What hardware do you use as the server?

Nothing fancy a 10yr old i7 920 but I don't transcode just stream direct my 1080p content.

Plex movie page

Plex_20180311_152807.png

Emby movie page

Emby_20180311_152738.png

Emby is really nice but I have to agree that on movie details, the media details part is more useful on Plex. It allows to select an audio and subtitile before launching the movie

CBers

Emby is really nice but I have to agree that on movie details, the media details part is more useful on Plex. It allows to select an audio and subtitile before launching the movie

Yes, still waiting for that to be added to the Android TV app.

What is better on this page is what isn't shown.  For example scroll down and click on Mark Hamill and in Plex you get only the movies you have on your system with him in them.

On Emby you get the Wiki write up on him as well as a list of movies you have with him in them, any TV Shows with SPECIFIC episodes (very cool) and trailers.

This is what I was referring to earlier about liking the Emby cast "linking" much better.

Plex doesn't currently show you cast members for TV Shows at all so it's an even bigger improvement for Emby on Shows!

Carlo

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

mikkelnl

What is better on this page is what isn't shown.  For example scroll down and click on Mark Hamill and in Plex you get only the movies you have on your system with him in them.

On Emby you get the Wiki write up on him as well as a list of movies you have with him in them, any TV Shows with SPECIFIC episodes (very cool) and trailers.

This what I was referring to earlier about liking the Emby cast "linking" much better.

Plex doesn't currently show you cast members for TV Shows at all so it's an even bigger improvement for Emby on Shows!

Carlo

I agree it's nice that Emby can show this detailed info, however I have absolutely never used such/this feature before :) So yes, Emby is 'better' but it's not a killer-feature for me.

Personally, I'd switch to Emby instantly when transcoding works as great as Plex does it. I'm waiting for the Android-server version to develop to beta or even final. For some reason Plex/PMS on Shield does not play my 4k iMovie homevideos, and Emby Player plays these fine... But meanwhile Emby can't transcode as well at the moment, which is a feature I use very frequently.

It's not a "killer feature" by any means but there are lots of little things in Emby like that not found in Plex.  The more you play with it the more things like this you find. 

It's not all "greener" of course on the other side as you have found out.  Android server is new and Emby still needs to figure out and apply Hardware transcoding for the Shield TV server.  But once they do, that will likely be a big improvement over Plex since their implementation is limited in where it can/will store data for things like DVR recordings and the meta-data.  You can run out of space quickly using Plex on this box due to meta-data alone.

Time will tell of course!

Carlo

Speaking of this feature, I was watching "Return to the Blue Lagoon" last night and knew I had seen the female lead previously but didn't know her name and couldn't place where else I've seen her.  Clicking on her name "Milla Jovovich" showed me a bunch of other movies I have that she was in of which I've recently seen 3 of them  I also found out she was in an episode of Married with Children that I had so I of course watched it. :)

This saved me a trip out to imdb and what's nice is that I can easily play any other media I have that she was in.  Same for any other actor.

It's this last part with the linking to TV Show episodes which makes it so nice to have!

Carlo

• Like 3

CBers

Personally, I'd switch to Emby instantly when transcoding works as great as Plex does it. 

Why are you wanting stuff to transcode ?? What needs do you have ??

99.9% of my content Direct Streams (Plays), with only the occasional remux of the audio.

I'm just guessing and the poster will need to answer but tons of people have ISPs such as Comcast who only give you 5Mb upload bandwidth.

That makes direct play almost impossible for any remote client, hence the need for transcoding regardless of your in house use or format.

I know for me, this is the only time transcoding comes into play.

mikkelnl

Why are you wanting stuff to transcode ?? What needs do you have ??

99.9% of my content Direct Streams (Plays), with only the occasional remux of the audio.

My main player device (Shield Pro) plays direct fine. But I often use other devices that need transcoding (and I prefer to save my content in HEVC to save space).

iPhones, iPads, Chromecasts, Webbrowsers... stuff like that, sometimes away from home where internet speeds are slow and I need to downgrade the quality etc.