[Complete] Emby Module for MagicMirror (Smart Mirror)

chef

chef

A couple days ago I decided I was going to start a new Do It Yourself Project. A Smart Mirror!

I'm a big fan of IoT and Home Automation, I hadn't coded  Linux based OS application before, and this was a good opportunity to use a Raspberry Pi!

I was able to quickly learn how to install an OS on my Pi, and started figuring out how to load the MagicMirror2 application on it.

It's really just a glorified web page, which is great because I know that stuff!

The complete Project:

5aac7c8da7324_IMG_2745.jpg

Here are a couple images:

5a9dbb5ae40bd_IMG_2723.jpg

5a9dbb7956bef_IMG_2722.jpg

5a9dbb98eadea_IMG_2721.jpg

Ha, who is that good-looking guy in the last picture?

The idea is that you use a two-way mirror with a screen behind it. All The text from the screen shines through the mirror and displays while you're looking in it!

I think it is a great idea! I've coded Arduino for a long time, so adding sensors like motion, and what not to control the Raspberry Pi to make it sleep and wake up with motion will be really straightforward enough (Pins HIGH and LOW).

My wife says I can't add face recognition (although totally possible) because it involves a camera, and this mirror will be placed in our bathroom... no cameras...lol...But, I digress.

Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to code a module to submit to the smart mirror project (https://magicmirror.builders/"), which will connect to the emby API. It'll show information like: 

{User.Name} next up episodes from {Season.Name} ready for tonight!

{User.Name} has {Episode.Count} new episodes to watch.

Will it be useful?? Well, about as useful as a smart mirror is... lol!

But, a fun project none the less, and it actually works great!

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

mastrmind11

damn dude, that's pretty impressive.  where do you find the time for all the tinkering that you do???

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

That takes up a bit of space at the back. Are you planning to recess the mirror or use a deeper frame? Recessing in the wall would be very cool.

• Like 1

chef

That takes up a bit of space at the back. Are you planning to recess the mirror or use a deeper frame? Recessing in the wall would be very cool.

Not sure about resessing the power supply from the monitor. It could be removed from the back of the mirror and mounted separately. It is the reason that the mirror is not completely flat. It has some capacitors which hold a rather large charge.

Did I mention it is hosting Alexa!

After today it will also host a custom emby module as well!

Edited by chef

Swynol

i've got something similar. however mine is a TV. Its a 2 way mirror with a TV mounted behind it. it gives crap viewing angles and contrast but works for what i need. then just has a Roku plugged into it for emby

• Like 1

chef

Here is the complete mirror with EMby plugin and MagicMirror Module working.

If anyone ever finds this and wants the files, contact me and I'll give them out. Maybe I'll post the project on GitHub.

I kept the plugin small because there is no reason to be seeing a bunch of text, only 'nextup' episode and recently added information.

5aac6627a5609_IMG_2745.jpg

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

A RPi Zero might work as it much thinner

• Like 1

chef

A RPi Zero might work as it much thinner

Unfortunately it is the screens power supply which stands about 2" from the wall. I was able to find a spot in our kitchen between a door way and a breakfast bar which are both trimmed. This means that only about 1 inch is visible.

It could be slimmed down, but I'm not sure if I want to buy a 3D printer yet. I am really considering it.

If I did I would start to create raspi 3 B+ based network enabled emby boxes, with a killer case and sell them to my friends.

Infact the case Would be so cool, it would have an incorporated lcd screen on top with an animated emby logo.

Edited by chef

• 1 year later...
kjhedges

Did any module get released for the MagicMirror on rPi

I have been looking about for something to show the now playing from emby on my current project of a MagicMirror.

I have the mirror set up as pages, with each modules selected as I choose it.

Now as with the above post, when someone knocks at door, Camera shows on Mirror. Football results ect ect.

I wish to have a module where as when something is started to play on emby, it broadcast the poster to the mirror.

Any and all ideas very welcome.

chef

This was a while ago when I added emby data to MM2.

It wasn't secure in anyway. I built an open endpoint in Emby which hosted some text (new added media etc). It was not behind any sort of security. Then I used the RestfulAPI module in MM2 to request data.

I ended up not keeping the endpoint open because it wasn't secure.

It is possible to build a MM2 module with the JavaScript APIClient to request info from emby and display it in the mirror. Personally I just never went that far.

kjhedges

Aye,  I have seen both a plex activity and tautilli modules. And these work as needed. But only for plex obviously.

At present I merely have trakt notifications going to twitter and then in text form show the latest watched items from twitter.

I shall investigate further.  Might be beyond my capability though.

Thanks for the reply anyways

chef

Aye, I have seen both a plex activity and tautilli modules. And these work as needed. But only for plex obviously.

At present I merely have trakt notifications going to twitter and then in text form show the latest watched items from twitter.

I shall investigate further. Might be beyond my capability though.

Thanks for the reply anyways

I could share my endpoint plugin with you.

It would be better then posting data to Twitter. Let me see if I can find it.

kjhedges

I would appreciate that, thank you.

• 7 months later...
kjhedges
On 3/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, chef said:

Did you ever manage to find that endpoint plugin?

• Thanks 1

MagicMirror.zip

I think this is it. I don't remember how to use it. It's been a while. I'll look over the code and try to remember what it does.

However once it's installed you can check the swaggerUI for the endpoint and see what it says.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

Hi @chef

do you remember where you got the mirror from?

I made it. I used a plexi two way mirror, and a Phillips monitor, with the bezel removed. Then I used a raspi. 

The plexi two way mirror was from Amazon.

• Like 1

kjhedges
4 hours ago, chef said:

MagicMirror.zip 4.13 kB · 0 downloads

I think this is it. I don't remember how to use it. It's been a while. I'll look over the code and try to remember what it does.

However once it's installed you can check the swaggerUI for the endpoint and see what it says.

Top man, thank you very much

kjhedges

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.17dfa2eb7275c417e7c50767bec8b9e3.JPG

Finally got there.  I now have the details of whats playing when on my MagicMirror setup.  (Its more and information board).

• 1 year later...