How can I password/PIN protect emby on AppleTV?

Multimedialist

Multimedialist

Hi,

I use emby on my AppleTV (4th Gen). Now I would like to protect emby from being started without a password.

The problem is this: Unless I manually log off before closing the app, it can be started without having to enter the password for the last used user account. It automatically starts with the user account that was used last.

On iOS, it is different. There I can uncheck the "Remember" box and then I always have to enter the password again whenever I re-start emby. This is what I want on my AppleTV, too.

So, how can I password protect the start of emby on AppleTV without having to log off every time before closing the app?

P.S.: It seems like when I wait long enough, the app auto-closes or auto-logs off in the background and then I have to re-enter the password. But this doesn't happen immediately as I would like it to.

Edited by Multimedialist

The problem is this: Unless I manually log off before closing the app, it can be started without having to enter the password for the last used user account. It automatically starts with the user account that was used last.

Hi.  The Apple TV app does not remember the last user logged in.  It does have the option to automatically log in to a configured account.

It sounds like what you are running into is the fact that, when you back out of an app on the device, it doesn't actually shut it down.  It is just like  your phone.  If you go back in, you will be brought right back to where you were before.  So it isn't that the app is remembering a login, it is just that the system is re-activating the already running app.

Does that sound right?

Multimedialist

Yes, this sounds exactly right. Is there any way how I can immediately shut down the Emby app on AppleTV in order to make sure that no one else can "accidentally" access my user account?

corey

Yes there is!

Double press the TV button on the Siri remote. Then navigate to the Emby app and swipe up like you would on iOS (if you have an iPhone :) ).

• Like 1

Multimedialist

Thanks. That works. I just have to make sure I don't forget to perform that procedure.

maybe time for an option "Close app when exit"

It is not possible to actually close the app on this platform.  Only re-start it.

andyblac644

It is not possible to actually close the app on this platform.  Only re-start it.

so there is no force quit API control ?

so there is no force quit API control ?

No, and Apple frowns upon apps attempting to make it happen.  Programatically closing your app is against their guidelines.  Apple likes to be in control... ;)

andyblac644

No, and Apple frowns upon apps attempting to make it happen.  Programatically closing your app is against their guidelines.  Apple likes to be in control... ;)

ok, how about a auto logout option ?, ie if on homepage and no cursor movement for XX mins auto logout, or an auto logout when screen saver kicks in if no video is playing ?, all optional though, or just ask for pin / password, with an option sign-in as different user ?

Edited by andyblac644

ok, how about a auto logout option ?, ie if on homepage and no cursor movement for XX mins auto logout,

It already does that.

andyblac644

It already does that.

even if the app is not active ie has been existed ?, maybe allow user to control the timeout value then ?, does not effect me as i use auto login, just try to think of thing to help.

could not invoke a logout when user exists ?, ie when home/menu is press when on Main screen.

Edited by andyblac644

Multimedialist

Yes, there is no option to set a timeout value in the Apple TV settings AFAIK. I don't even know how long it takes for an Apple TV app to auto-close in the background.