Best hard drive for media playback

all4dom

CBers

For DrivePool, also read DriveBender.

They are both very mature and do the same thing.

I believe DriveBender is cheaper than DrivePool and has a longer trial period.

The developers of DriveBender have a few exciting new releases coming out soon, especially DriveXtender.

https://www.drivextender.com

"Drive Xtender is compatible with Drive Bender, Cloud Xtender and StableBit’s DrivePool."

So even @ might be interested :)

• Like 1

extensive

I personally tried both years ago and drivebender won for me.  I use it at home and where I work

Edited by extensive
  • Like 1

CBers

I personally tried both years ago and drivebender won for me. I use it at home and where I work

Are you registered on the DriveBender forums?

all4dom

Hi guys. Just started adding the new hard drives. Queation....my 6tb shows only 5.45tb free space. Does that sound about right? I know x amount of space is reserved when setting up a new hard deive.

naeonline

Yes. Drive sizes are labeled from the manufacturers in base-10 (denoted by KB, MB, GB, TB... in 1000s) and Windows shows drive size in base-2 (denoted by KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB... in 1024s).

6TB = 6,000,000,000,000 Bytes = 6,000,000,000 KB = 6,000,000 MB = 6,000 GB

6,000,000,000,000 Bytes / 1024 = 5,859,375,000 KiB / 1024 = 5,722,045 MiB / 1024 = 5,587 GiB / 1024 = 5.45 TiB

The XB vs XiB naming is what throws most people off because traditionally computers Operating Systems have listed the XiB units as XB.  Some OSes, such as MacOS now list the XB size as the actual XB size instead of the XiB size.

RAM is like this as well.  A system that reports 8GB of RAM actually has 8GiB of RAM.