Best hard drive for media playback

all4dom

all4dom

Guest asrequested

As a side note. My HGST Enterprise drive has a write speed of around 400MB/s and my HGST NAS drives have a write speed of around 160MB/s. Not that it will mean anything for you, as a 1Gb/s network caps out around 125MB/s. Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

all4dom

I forgot what I have now but there hbe been no issues with playback & I use 2 drives foe media and 2 drives as a backup and knock on wood I have not had an issue.

Guest asrequested

HGST have a very low failure rate. And if you look at the two choices you posted, the HGST has a 7200rpm and the WD is 5400rpm. The faster the spin, the faster the data transfer.

One2Go

2 HGST drives in the NAS running 24/7. 6 HGST drives in the TV and Documentary server running only when needed. 4 HGST drives in the Movie server running when needed. So far no failure in several years. These drives are never rock bottom priced and when they are on sale they sell out very quickly. In the UnRaid server community they are highly recommended and any deal is being posted ASAP.

HGST have a very low failure rate. And if you look at the two choices you posted, the HGST has a 7200rpm and the WD is 5400rpm. The faster the spin, the faster the data transfer.

Yes but also the more noise and head generated and the more power required.  Data transfer speeds are inconsequential for media playback so 5400 RPM drives are just fine.

Just more things to consider...

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Yes but also the more noise and head generated and the more power required. Data transfer speeds are inconsequential for media playback so 5400 RPM drives are just fine.

Just more things to consider...

Awwwww..c'mon. More power is always better lol. As for transfer rate, when I can write a 60GB file at 400MB/s I'm very happy :D Noise isn't a factor for me. My whole rack is 6ft from my tv. There are something like 22 fans lol

all4dom

If I were to go with 5400 rpm, then I would have to get a wd brand. I think they are nas deives.

Happy2Play

You can get what ever brand you like.  Everyone has there own preference but I have yet to have an issue with any brand I have gotten. (Seagate, WD, Hitachi, HGST, Toshiba)

all4dom

O never really had a preference except I always thought the 5400 rpm.drives were better then the higher ones.

mastrmind11

5400 equates to how fast the platter spins.  It doesn't matter for media streaming.  fwiw, I had a nas stuffed w/ seagate drives, which have failed 1 by 1 over the course of the past 4 years.  I've replated them as they fail w/ WD NAS drives and have not had a single failure on any of them.

• Like 1

mbnwa

As a side note. My HGST Enterprise drive has a write speed of around 400MB/s and my HGST NAS drives have a write speed of around 160MB/s. Not that it will mean anything for you, as a 1Gb/s network caps out around 125MB/s. Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

I would be interested in the details on the enterprise drives you are running, my 45 drive SAN array is in need of replacements.

Edited by mbnwa

all4dom

I put a li k on my post above. You can click the links to see quick one you like.

PenkethBoy

@

What model or HHD is this? "My HGST Enterprise drive has a write speed of around 400MB/s" or is it anSSD

Guest asrequested

@

What model or HHD is this? "My HGST Enterprise drive has a write speed of around 400MB/s" or is it anSSD

I should mention that it's part of a three drive drivepool. Two Seagate and one HGST. All Enterprise drives. When I write to the pool, it writes at up to 400MB/s. I'll check the model number in a little bit.

PenkethBoy

Ah ok that explains it - was surprised at the speed of a single HDD as its way beyond what a normal HDD would be capable of :)

• Like 1

all4dom

hey guys, does emby generate ehs icons for a sub folders. I have a folder called photos & home movies & then its 3 sub folders....photos, home movies & video clips and emby did not generate a ehs icons like it did for everything else.....or do i have the folder structure set up wrong.

Thanks

Dom

Guest asrequested

I would be interested in the details on the enterprise drives you are running, my 45 drive SAN array is in need of replacements.

@

So, out of curiosity, I looked up the hard drive. And it has a max transfer rate of 600MB/s, with a sustained transfer rate of 171MB/s. It would appear that most of the files I move around, fall outside of the sustained transfer rate. I didn't look up the seagates, but they appear to be equivalent.

Model No. - HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/US7K4000_ds.pdf

5a9b91495c73a_Snapshot_475.jpg

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

the 600 is the Sata III interface speed :)

170-180 MB/s is inline with what i was suspecting as a HDD capable of 400MB/s would have been in the news  :P

that you are getting 400 or so is down to windows caching as i see this as well on my 2012R2 server but not for long if transferring large amounts of data as the cache gets full and then its down to the disk and alos how full it is

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

the 600 is the Sata III interface speed :)

170-180 MB/s is inline with what i was suspecting as a HDD capable of 400MB/s would have been in the news  :P

that you are getting 400 or so is down to windows caching as i see this as well on my 2012R2 server but not for long if transferring large amounts of data as the cache gets full and then its down to the disk and alos how full it is

Well, if I make the same transfer to my HGST NAS drives (also pooled), I only get 160MB/s. They are all on the same machine. I consistently get 350-400MB/s on my enterprise drives. The only difference is the drives. Maybe they cache better? But the result is excellent, on par with my SSDs.

Well, if I make the same transfer to my HGST NAS drives (also pooled), I only get 160MB/s. They are all on the same machine. I consistently get 350-400MB/s on my enterprise drives. The only difference is the drives. Maybe they cache better? But the result is excellent, on par with my SSDs.

I definitely think caching is going on there.

But, none of that is really super relevant to the question asked here which was "which drive is best for media playback".

IMO that is a cool, quiet and reliable one and 5400rpm drives can fit that bill nicely :).

• Like 1