Fedora 27 can't find RPM

neutronspin
Go to solution Solved by dcrdev,

neutronspin

Tried to install my Emby server on latest Fedora 27 server  install and the RPM package not found a match.  I used the instruction and logged on as root and typed exactly what the instructions said in the install info.  I then tried adding "sudo" on the command line and still no package match.  Does the repository need some kind of synching?  and how to do it?...Also how can you install a downloaded RPM package from the terminal or console?  I have downloaded the RPM package on my Windows machine.  Not very Linux educated....any help appreciated

Edited by neutronspin

Hi, come to think of it, the download page should be improved. The instructions are currently:

dnf install {filename}

but it should be

dnf install {filepath}

Does this help? it should be the full path to the rpm, unless you are running the terminal command from within the folder that the rpm exists in.

neutronspin

Hi, come to think of it, the download page should be improved. The instructions are currently:

dnf install {filename}

but it should be

dnf install {filepath}

Does this help? it should be the full path to the rpm, unless you are running the terminal command from within the folder that the rpm exists in.

I installed Fedora 27 on a new server apart from my other Windows terminal.....so how can I get the file on the Linux server?  The RPM package is residing on my Windows desktop on the windows machine.  Can I use the Linux terminal on the server to load the RPM file on the server?  I can put the file on a thumb drive but am not Linux savy on getting it installed on Fedora.....sorry but Linux is driving me crazy...lol...Fedora is up and running no problem but the repository isn't working for some reason in grabbing the RPM....it is not recognizing the Emby RPM....HELP.....I am lost without a GUI...lol...

Edited by neutronspin

neutronspin

I installed Fedora 27 on a new server apart from my other Windows terminal.....so how can I get the file on the Linux server?  The RPM package is residing on my Windows desktop on the windows machine.  Can I use the Linux terminal on the server to load the RPM file on the server?  I can put the file on a thumb drive but am not Linux savy on getting it installed on Fedora.....sorry but Linux is driving me crazy...lol...Fedora is up and running no problem but the repository isn't working for some reason in grabbing the RPM....it is not recognizing the Emby RPM....HELP.....I am lost without a GUI...lol...

I downloaded and installed the RPM file using RPM on GitHub and it installed.  I checked Services and it was running on the server.  Tried to logon to Emby Server localhost and it was a bust....I am about ready to send Micro$soft some money and abandon this Linux experiment....local host is the next problem.  I can ping localhost fine but won't connect.  Tried Chrome and Firefox plus Edge....no change....any help appreciated...

Edited by neutronspin

neutronspin

What does "a bust" mean?

This site can’t be reached

localhost refused to connect.

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I suppose the firewall could be blocking it or my Untangle router anti-virus.....will try to disable firewall and check router next....getting late here will try tomorrow.  Appreciate your help....

• Solution
dcrdev

@@Luke I would change the instructions to:

dnf install https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.3.0.0/emby-server-rpm_3.3.0.0_x86_64.rpm

To eliminate extra steps for new users.

@@neutronspin you've stated that you are not using a GUI, correct? You've also stated that you are trying to connect to localhost in a browser, correct? From that I surmise that you are probably trying to access Emby on localhost with an external client - that isn't going to work, as the name 'localhost' suggests it's 'local' i..e. it resolves to the loopback address.

You need to be connecting via the IP address your server has on the network, follow these steps:

sudo su
systemctl restart firewalld
firewall-cmd --add-service=emby-server
firewall-cmd --add-service=emby-server --permanent

^ @@Luke why is this still nowhere to be found in the docs? Firewalld is enabled by default on CentOS and Fedora...

Then determine the IP of the server:

ip addr | less

Access via the above ip address in a browser:

http://<ipOfServer>:8096 
  • Like 1

@@neutronspin I believe that using the command: 

dnf install https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.3.0.0/emby-server-rpm_3.3.0.0_x86_64.rpm

that dcrdev gave above will install emby for you. You should be able to just delete your local copy.

FWIW if you want to transfer files to and from your linux box a really handy utility is filezilla or winscp both work very well and both give a graphical interface simply select sftp and use your login credentials and it will use ftp over ssh.

neutronspin

@@Luke I would change the instructions to:

To eliminate extra steps for new users.

@@neutronspin you've stated that you are not using a GUI, correct? You've also stated that you are trying to connect to localhost in a browser, correct? From that I surmise that you are probably trying to access Emby on localhost with an external client - that isn't going to work, as the name 'localhost' suggests it's 'local' i..e. it resolves to the loopback address.

You need to be connecting via the IP address your server has on the network, follow these steps:

sudo su
systemctl restart firewalld
firewall-cmd --add-service=emby-server
firewall-cmd --add-service=emby-server --permanent

^ @@Luke why is this still nowhere to be found in the docs? Firewalld is enabled by default on CentOS and Fedora...

Then determine the IP of the server:

ip addr | less

Access via the above ip address in a browser:

http://<ipOfServer>:8096 

THANK YOU.....I really appreciate the info....I am not a Linux person so this really helps.  I used the [rpm -ivh] instead of the [dnf] command and it worked to obtain the package.  I hope the [rpm-ivh] command for downloading the package will not be a problem with the associated packages.  The Emby-service is running on the server which is a good thing.  Next I will try to resolve the connection issue using your information. Yes....the instructions for a newbe assume the user has a better concept of Linux and networking issues.  I understand this isn't for the faint of heart and there are many flavors of OS's to address.....thanks again... :)

neutronspin

@@neutronspin I believe that using the command: 

that dcrdev gave above will install emby for you. You should be able to just delete your local copy.

FWIW if you want to transfer files to and from your linux box a really handy utility is filezilla or winscp both work very well and both give a graphical interface simply select sftp and use your login credentials and it will use ftp over ssh.

Thank you very much.  After spending some time learning Linux commands and finding the package on GitHub I downloaded the package.  I used the [rpm -ivh] instead of the [dnf] command and it worked to obtain the package.  I hope the [rpm-ivh] command for downloading the package will not be a problem with the associated packages. The Emby-Server service is running on the server now so I am very happy....thanks again for the feedback....

neutronspin

I will update the instructions, thanks @@dcrdev

Online with Emby now after disabling the Fedora firewall for Emby Server and logging on to the correct IP....thanks for your help and the other members....great job!....

Edited by neutronspin