FreeNAS 11 + Emby Server (jail) No Playback

DrDoom

Hello @ all,

i am new to FreeBSD/FreeNAS and the jail concept so please be kind.

My FreeNAS Box (Pentium G4560T/16GB ECC RAM/ASUS P10S-I and some WD RED's) run's fine for week now but i am not

able to playback files over Browser or TV app.

I used the plugin installer provided by FreeNAS and was able to point emby to my media files. Emby searched through it and display

me everything very nice but if i want to play a file it tells me 

"Playback Error. No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details."

In the Server-Log i found 

Application directory: /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server

System.Exception: Error starting ffmpeg

My question is - why do i get a ffmpeg log if the server cannot start ffmpeg?

Google didn't find that problem so i need your help to solve it.

Emby i the only plugin i want to use so system resources should be ok.

I restarted 5 or more times both emby and freenas and installed new freenas version 11-1 U2 totay and reinstalled emby but the problem 

is still the same

Thank you in advance

BR DrDoom

ffmpeg-log.txt

server-log.txt

• Like 1

Hi, it looks like your ffmpeg build is not built with smb:// support. You will need to add this to your installed ffmpeg on freenas.

We have BSD instructions for ffmpeg:

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

But the process for freenas might be different. I'll check with our package maintainer. thanks.

• Like 1

josh4trunks

As far as i understand the emby plugin for FreeNAS has smb support included. I see the SMB option was added to ffmpeg since July 2017, so i doubt an old build is the issue here.

Luke do you know the ffmpeg command to see what compiler options ffmpeg was built with?

• Like 1

As far as i understand the emby plugin for FreeNAS has smb support included. I see the SMB option was added to ffmpeg since July 2017, so i doubt an old build is the issue here.

Luke do you know the ffmpeg command to see what compiler options ffmpeg was built with?

It's printed at the top of every ffmpeg log, so in this case:

ffmpeg version 2.8.4 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 4.2.1 (GCC) 20070831 patched [FreeBSD]
  configuration: --prefix=/usr/pbi/emby-amd64 --mandir=/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/man --datadir=/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/share/ffmpeg --pkgconfigdir=/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/libdata/pkgconfig --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-avresample --enable-pthreads --disable-libstagefright-h264 --disable-libutvideo --disable-libsoxr --cc=cc --extra-cflags=' -I/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/include' --extra-ldflags='-L/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib ' --extra-libs=-lpthread --enable-memalign-hack --disable-libaacplus --disable-indev=alsa --disable-outdev=alsa --disable-libopencore-amrnb --disable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libass --disable-libbs2b --disable-libcaca --disable-libcdio --disable-libcelt --disable-libdc1394 --disable-debug --disable-htmlpages --disable-libfaac --disable-libfdk-aac --disable-ffserver --disable-libflite --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --disable-frei0r --disable-libfribidi --disable-libgme --disable-libgsm --enable-iconv --disable-libilbc --disable-indev=jack --disable-ladspa --enable-libmp3lame --disable-libbluray --enable-mmx --disable-libmodplug --disable-openal --disable-indev=openal --disable-opencl --disable-libopencv --disable-opengl --disable-libopenh264 --disable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --disable-libpulse --disable-indev=pulse --disable-outdev=pulse --disable-libquvi --enable-runtime-cpudetect --disable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --disable-ffplay --disable-outdev=sdl --disable-libsmbclient --disable-libsnappy --disable-libspeex --enable-sse --disable-libssh --enable-libtheora --disable-libtwolame --disable-libv4l2 --disable-indev=v4l2 --disable-outdev=v4l2 --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --disable-libvo-aacenc --disable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --disable-libwavpack --disable-libwebp --disable-x11grab --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --disable-libxcb --enable-libxvid --disable-outdev=xv --disable-libzmq --disable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --disable-openssl --disable-version3 --disable-nonfree
  libavutil      54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
  libavcodec     56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
  libavformat    56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
  libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100
  libavfilter     5. 40.101 /  5. 40.101
  libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0
  libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
  libswresample   1.  2.101 /  1.  2.101
  libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100

josh4trunks

i wonder if anyone ever tested libsmbclient works in the jail? maybe i need to link some lib(s) to make them available. an added complication of PBI plugins

josh4trunks

I confirmed it missing from my install too. I guess I enabled the option, but never rebuilt the dependency.

I am recompiling the plugin now and can post a test build here if you want to test.

This should be fixed with the next release of the emby plugin for FreeNAS.

Hello Josh and Luke,

thanks for your reply.

So do i understand correctly that this problem is not my fault, and i cannot do anything at the moment?

BR DrDoom

josh4trunks

@@DrDoom

You can try this PBI I just built and see if it fixes the issue with SMB links.

https://www.jruehlig.com/owncloud/s/vxLW4D5WVSQOSS2

Also, I was wondering. Is the SMB share you are trying to access on your FreeNAS? If so, there is no reason to access the file through SMB, as it is much less efficient to do so.

The best way to access the SMB share would be to mount the dataset into the jail on the Jails > Storage tab, and add the mounted location to emby.

Edited by josh4trunks

@@josh4trunks,

you found my mistake! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

i cant even remember why i used the smb instead of the mounted location.

now i changed it and it worked perfectly.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

BR DrDoom

Edited by DrDoom
  • Like 1

josh4trunks

@@josh4trunks,

you found my mistake! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

i cant even remember why i used the smb instead of the mounted location.

now i changed it and it worked perfectly.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

BR DrDoom

awesome! thank you for actually helping me realizing SMB links never worked.
  • Like 1

makarai

Hello, Quite late to the party. 

However, my emby server runs alright on the old warden jail and on the new iocage jail structure. 

#create emby iocage

iocage create --name=emby_iocage ip4_addr="igb0|192.168.0.100/24" -r 11.1-RELEASE
iocage start emby_iocage

#add storage
iocage fstab -a emby_iocage /mnt/volume01/multimedia /multimedia01 nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a emby_iocage /mnt/volume02/multimedia /multimedia02 nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a emby_iocage /mnt/volume01/db/ssl/user-certs /certs nullfs rw 0 0

iocage console emby_iocage
pkg install emby-server

# Update FreeBSD ports tree modify installation based on emby recomendations
portsnap fetch update
portsnap extract
# Remove default FFMpeg package
pkg delete -f ffmpeg
# Reinstall FFMpeg from ports with lame option enabled
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg
# Install ffmpeg build dependencies
pkg install `make build-depends-list | tr '\n' ' ' | sed 's/\/usr\/ports\///g' | sed 's/audio\/lame //g'`
make config
# enable the lame option
# enable the SMB option
# enable the ass subtitles option
# enable the opus subtitles option
# enable the x265 subtitles option
make install clean
# hit enter a 1000s of times

service emby-server onestop
pw useradd -n emby -u 1000 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
pw usermod emby -n emby -u 1000
pw usermod emby -n emby -g 1000
(where ### is the UID and GID of the user I want it to be)
chown -R emby:emby /var/db/emby-server
sysrc 'emby_server_user=emby'
service emby-server onestart

chown -R emby:emby /var/db/emby-server
sysrc 'emby_server_user=emby'

#To Update always to the newest version and not the quarterly! Add folder pkg/repos/edit /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

FreeBSD: {
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

pkg update
pkg upgrade

ffmpeg -version gives : (--disable-libsmbclient is in this one yet my playback works)

ffmpeg version 3.4.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers                                                                  
built with FreeBSD clang version 4.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_400/final 297347) (based on LLVM 4.0.0)                                        
configuration: --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man --datadir=/usr/local/share/ffmpeg --pkgconfigdir=/usr/local/libdata/pkgco
nfig --enable-shared --enable-pic --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-avresample --enable-pthreads --cc=cc --d
isable-alsa --disable-libopencore-amrnb --disable-libopencore-amrwb --disable-libass --disable-libbs2b --disable-libcaca --disable-l
ibcdio --disable-libcelt --disable-chromaprint --disable-libdc1394 --disable-debug --enable-htmlpages --disable-libdrm --disable-lib
fdk-aac --enable-ffserver --disable-libflite --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-frei0r --disable-libfribidi --disable
-libgme --disable-libgsm --enable-iconv --disable-libilbc --disable-jack --disable-libkvazaar --disable-ladspa --disable-libmp3lame 
--disable-libbluray --disable-librsvg --disable-libxml2 --enable-mmx --disable-libmodplug --disable-openal --disable-opencl --enable
-libopencv --disable-opengl --disable-libopenh264 --disable-libopenjpeg --enable-optimizations --enable-libopus --disable-libpulse -
-enable-runtime-cpudetect --disable-librubberband --disable-sdl2 --disable-libsmbclient --disable-libsnappy --disable-sndio --disabl
e-libsoxr --disable-libspeex --enable-sse --disable-libssh --disable-libtesseract --enable-libtheora --disable-libtwolame --enable-l
ibv4l2 --enable-vaapi --enable-vdpau --disable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --disable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --disable-libw
avpack --disable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --disable-libxcb --enable-libxvid --disable-outdev=xv --disable-libzimg -
-disable-libzmq --disable-libzvbi --disable-gcrypt --enable-gmp --disable-librtmp --enable-gnutls --disable-openssl --enable-version
3 --disable-nonfree --disable-libmysofa                                                                                             
libavutil      55. 78.100 / 55. 78.100                                                                                              
libavcodec     57.107.100 / 57.107.100                                                                                              
libavformat    57. 83.100 / 57. 83.100                                                                                              
libavdevice    57. 10.100 / 57. 10.100                                                                                              
libavfilter     6.107.100 /  6.107.100                                                                                              
libavresample   3.  7.  0 /  3.  7.  0                                                                                              
libswscale      4.  8.100 /  4.  8.100                                                                                              
libswresample   2.  9.100 /  2.  9.100                                                                                              
libpostproc    54.  7.100 / 54.  7.100         
Edited by makarai