Transcode of HEVC to UN65KS8000

ferdaze
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I'm trying to more familiar with when emby/devices require transcoding. Trying to direct play a HEVC/Main 10 file but emby is transcoding and not sure if the issue is a Tizen hardward limitation or a profile issue.

I "think" this is what is supported by the UN65KS8000.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00045927/

Media Info

Video CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level153
Resolution3840x2160
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate55312 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
Title4K HEVC
Audio Languageeng
CodecTRUEHD
Layout7.1
Channels8 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
Bit depth24 bit
DefaultYes
TitleEng TRUEHD 7.1 Default
Audio Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate448 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitle Languageeng
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleEng
Subtitle Languageara
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleAra

server-63654695111.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-33f99e37-c1d5-475e-a45d-478fa124bf7f.txt

Edited by ferdaze

• Solution

The audio has to be converted, and when this happens the video will also be converted. We will look into whether or not Samsung supports hevc with the transcoding format that we're using. If it does, this should give us an opportunity to just copy the original video and only convert the audio. Thanks

@@SamES

• Like 3

FrostByte

I'm trying to more familiar with when emby/devices require transcoding. Trying to direct play a HEVC/Main 10 file but emby is transcoding and not sure if the issue is a Tizen hardward limitation or a profile issue.

I "think" this is what is supported by the UN65KS8000.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00045927/

Looking at your manual it should Direct Play if you use the second audio file.  Like Luke said your TV doesn't support TrueHD

Edited by FrostByte

That looks like it fixed the issue. I was thinking the app send the audio stream to the external receiver that does support TRUEHD 7.1. So if the TV cannot support the audio we cannot use it?

FrostByte

Is the receiver hooked up via the ARC port?  You could try turning off some of the transcoding options under your user profile settings to see if it will pass TrueHD without transcoding

5a8da7c476601_Transcoding.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

Yes you can still use it because the server will convert the audio on the fly so that you don't have to worry about it.

Is the receiver hooked up via the ARC port?  You could try turning off some of the transcoding options under your user profile settings to see if it will pass TrueHD without transcoding

5a8da7c476601_Transcoding.jpg

This works for the tv/receiver that can support it but then breaks all other devices as it will not transcode and I now do not have the option to select transcode on the device/web/emby theater. Looks like a feature enhancement is needed? 

• Like 1

FrostByte

This works for the tv/receiver that can support it but then breaks all other devices as it will not transcode and I now do not have the option to select transcode on the device/web/emby theater. Looks like a feature enhancement is needed? 

Agree, an in app option would be great for those like you who have receivers or sound bars which support HD audio files.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
gianlucatest

The audio has to be converted, and when this happens the video will also be converted. We will look into whether or not Samsung supports hevc with the transcoding format that we're using. If it does, this should give us an opportunity to just copy the original video and only convert the audio. Thanks

Hi Luke, I'm on Emby 1.0.29 (Samsung 2017 TV), did you manage find a way to avoid video transcoding when just audio needs to be transcoded?

Hi Luke, I'm on Emby 1.0.29 (Samsung 2017 TV), did you manage find a way to avoid video transcoding when just audio needs to be transcoded?

Hi, I'll need more information to answer that question. If you're having an issue, please discuss an example and please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

runtimesandbox

Hi Luke,

I would be keen to help get this working, my issue with 4k being transcoded appears to stem from this issue. My incorrect assumption was that the TV couldn't handle the high bit rate of the file but it looks like it's just the audio.

Attached is the emby server log, attached the other post is the ffmpeg logs however i don't believe these are relevant here.

TV is a Samsung UE40MU6120

Edited by spudd

runtimesandbox

They all should however have got some new ones for you. 

Same files as before, HVEC 10, TrueHD audio, server set to decode and encode using GPU

Edited by spudd

I'm not quite sure why this one decided to transcode. I think it's due to the app being a little out of date now. We're working on getting a new update approved. I think we should re-evaluate this title once the update is available. Thanks.

runtimesandbox

My understanding for it transcoding as per the above was that the TV can't play the TrueHD audio tracks but transcodes the whole file rather than just the audio track.

Will it be possible in the future to copy the video streams and only transcode the audio in situations like this like you mentioned above? Any information / logs / testing I can provide or do to help with this?

Yes and I'm pretty sure the updated version of the app will do that. Thanks.

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

Thanks Luke. Final question, does the updated version of the app allow for the selection of Audio streams? This doesn't seem possible in the current version unless I am missing something. :)