[Solved] Slow library scan

Okeur75

Hi all,

Yes, it's already solved. I just wanted to share some of my tests with you about the library scan process in Emby.

Tl;DR

I manage to go from 2h of scan to 10 minutes.

The solution is to put each movies in its own folder. Do not put all your movie files in one folder, Emby seems to struggle with this organization.

More details:

Emby 3.2.70.0

1) How my data were organized

-Movies

--- Aeon Flux.avi

--- Babar.mkv

-TV Shows

---Game of Thrones

------Saison 1

---------Episode 1

---The Unit

------ Episode 1

I have also a folder for stand-up and a folder for P*rn (same organization as for the movies)

2) Size of the libraries

2800 movies

110 TV show and 11'000 episodes

100 Standup

5 P*rn

No pictures or music or recording or anything else.

3) Some tests

a) I tried to uncheck the metadata downloaders and image fetchers to keep only one for each (The Movie DB for both). Same results the scan was taking 2 hours.

B) I tried to uncheck metadata I did not really need like "Studios", "Production Locations" and "Parental rating". Still taking around 2 hours to complete.

c) Then I removed my standup and P*rn libraries to see if maybe Emby was struggling finding information for this kind of data (which I understand). Still the same, 2 hours.

d) I tried to check the "Lock this item to prevent future change" box for both Movies and TV show. Still 2 hours.

e) Eventually I found a post on this forum with a guy saying that the problem was about how the data were organized. And he clearly recommended to not put all your movies in the same folder. So I wrote an extremelly sophisticated bash script:

#! /bin/bash

while read f

do

dir="s{f%.*}"

mkdir "$dir"

mv "$f" "$dir"

done < list_film

The only prerequisite is to do a "ls your_path_to_movies > list_film"

It created a folder for each movies and moved each movie to its corresponding folder.

Then, I started a scan again, the first one took 10 hours because everything was "new" for emby (which I understand).

The second scan took 10 minutes. Houraaaaa !

4) How my data are organized now

-Movies

--- Aeon Flux

------ Aeon Flux.avi

--- Babar

------ Babar.avi

-TV Shows

---Game of Thrones

------Saison 1

---------Episode 1

---The Unit

------ Episode 1

So if you are facing the same issue, please check how your data are organized and do not put all your movie files in the same folder !

Hope this helps someone  :)

Regards

Edited by Okeur75