Emby for Control4

otispresley

otispresley

As a Control4 owner, it would be awesome if there were an Emby driver for the platform to pull in Emby media and allow Play To functionality for it. Chawmain has a driver for Plex: https://www.chowmainsoft.com/plex-full-driver-for-control4/

There is also a driver for Kodi as well: https://www.chowmainsoft.com/kodi-xbmc-full-driver-for-control4/

It would be better though to have the media pulled in directly from Emby, rather than depending on a Kodi client, and I read that it may not work when Emby for Kodi is using AddOn mode rather than Direct Playback.

otispresley

Here is the response from Chowmain. All who use Control4, feel free to go and fill out their contact form to let them know you are interested. https://www.chowmainsoft.com/contact-us/

At this stage we have no plans on doing Emby.  This may change if we get more demand for Emby.

Edited by otispresley

Guest asrequested

It looks like I'm going to be an installer for Control4, pretty soon. This will be something I'm going to push for. I would like it to integrate with the Emby. There maybe some difficulties implementing it in Composer, but it's something I definitely want.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
otispresley

It looks like I'm going to be an installer for Control4, pretty soon. This will be something I'm going to push for. I would like it to integrate with the Emby. There maybe some difficulties implementing it in Composer, but it's something I definitely want.

Hi Doofus, just checking to see if you accomplished this integration and how. I think I will have to resort to using Kodi Full instead, which is not really ideal.

Guest asrequested

Unfortunately not, I turned the job down. Sorry for the false hope. You have to be a registered installer of their equipment to be able to use composer. My intention was to work with them to develop an API or some way to allow integration, but the job offer I had wasn't going to give me what I wanted.

What is control4?

A very high-end custom remote control unit.  Requires custom programming, professional installer, etc.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, a buddy of mine has a company that installs equipment like this. But it's a closed system. You can't even be an authorized seller unless you can sell a certain amount each month. Then you have to pass their training in Ohio to be certified. And only then can you use their software to program the system. The software is called Composer. You can find videos on YouTube of programmers demonstrating it. I was going to be a programmer, and try to get them to incorporate Emby, but I turned it down. Maybe you could reach out to them?

I honestly thought these Crestron-type systems had gone the way of the Dinosaur... :)

They are so hard to install and maintain and there are so many more user-friendly options.  I guess this stuff is still good for the rich guys having turn-key rooms built for $100k though.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I know. But my buddy installs half million dollar systems, and he's overbooked. He's actually getting more work than he can handle. And with this system, for power users, they have reduced version of composer that the customer can use. And if something gets messed up, you can correct it remotely. Kaleidascape apparently made a comeback, too.

BillOatman

Most of what it does is not difficult to do on your own.  But integration into home security systems is a nice touch and really ties it all together nicely.