"transcoding-temp" Filling Up

rudco

Greetings,

I'm a new user to Emby, been having problems where the "transcoding-temp" folder fills up and I run out of disk space, and I have to recycle the Emby server and manually delete all the ".TS" files in that folder.

1) I shutdown the Emby server on Windows 7 machine.

2) I deleted ALL transcoding-temp files: "C:\Users\RudCo\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp\*.*"

3) I restarted the Emby server on the Windows 7 machine.

4) I watched two or three or four episodes of a show from my network storage.

5) The next morning there are 1,398 files in that "transcoding-temp" folder, totaling over 7 GB.

Is this normal? Last week I realized there was 40 GB of files in there, had to stop and delete and restart everything. I am attaching all the log files from last evening through now that are in the "logs" directory.

Thanks,

Ed Rudman

edwardrudman@cox.net

server-63653990399.txt

server-63653958707.txt

ffmpeg-remux-fa946715-77f3-4682-a662-19c84fff5fef.txt

ffmpeg-remux-de6a3853-c77c-4ab4-9302-96eb726f5aa6.txt

ffmpeg-remux-d9b0b653-afa2-40e1-b9fe-770fa8e9d692.txt

ffmpeg-remux-4e4f2675-c0cf-4253-83da-9f15ab5555af.txt

@@rudco

I am also using multiple roku ultra devices. Do you by chance exit playback by just pressing the home screen sometimes (not back button)?

• Like 1

@@rudco

I am also using multiple roku ultra devices. Do you by chance exit playback by just pressing the home screen sometimes (not back button)?

Good question because that definitely is a problem with the Roku device.  It does not notify the app that that is happening.  It just kills it.

Yes, yes. Mostly I am "binge-watching" old television shows as background while I work at home. So I rarely exit out a normal way, but more often I "pause" the show wherever I am, and then come back to it later. 

So I assume that this is my problem, and to correct things I might do something like create a ".bat" file which deletes the files, and then maybe schedule that batch file to run each early morning via Windows scheduler or something? 

If you use ther server restart plugin (I don't know if @@Luke has removed it yet). Then the server cleans up all those files on a restart (I run it every night automatically). It's a temporary fix, but it works until the Emby team get a better solution to this problem.

Edited by Erik

Yes, yes. Mostly I am "binge-watching" old television shows as background while I work at home. So I rarely exit out a normal way, but more often I "pause" the show wherever I am, and then come back to it later. 

So I assume that this is my problem, and to correct things I might do something like create a ".bat" file which deletes the files, and then maybe schedule that batch file to run each early morning via Windows scheduler or something? 

Just hit the back button instead.  You will end up with focus on a resume button that will take you right back where you were.

Dizzy49

I've had similar issues using Emby Theater.  My wife watches a lot of live TV, and when she is done for the night she just hits the "Off" button on the remote which turns everything off and puts the computer into sleep mode.  I think similar to your issue, the server is not getting a good "exit" signal and doesn't delete the files.  About once every other week I get a notice from my server that my drive is nearly full and I have to delete a couple hundred gig of files (or restart the server and it cleans it up itself).

I think some additional checks need to be put into place to prevent this from happening, or at the least to clean up the files without having to wait until the drive is full or restart the server.  Ideally, the Emby server should run 24/7 only needing restarted for updates.

I figure that if emby knows to delete these files on a restart. Can it not have a scheduled task or something that checks for these not in use files and removes them periodically.

I get that the roku is peticulary susceptible to this...and the back button is a better way to exit, but try telling young kids that!

Edited by Erik

I thought this was fixed w/ the "Are you still watching" enhancement from a version or 2 ago?

If the app/machine is just shut down, no logic in the app can solve it.

The server needs to be able to detect the situation and clean up.  It is detecting the situation that can be particularly tricky.  If we just put a blind time-out on it, then we have people who like to pause their streams for hours pop in and say "hey, you cut off my stream" :).  We have to pick some sort of proper compromise.

mastrmind11

If the app/machine is just shut down, no logic in the app can solve it.

The server needs to be able to detect the situation and clean up.  It is detecting the situation that can be particularly tricky.  If we just put a blind time-out on it, then we have people who like to pause their streams for hours pop in and say "hey, you cut off my stream" :).  We have to pick some sort of proper compromise.

Ok, so are you saying that if my wife just turns off the tv w/ a live stream running, it'll run forever still or this enhancement will properly handle that kind of scenario?

Happy2Play

Ok, so are you saying that if my wife just turns off the tv w/ a live stream running, it'll run forever still or this enhancement will properly handle that kind of scenario?

"Are you still watching" applies to that scenario and would stop the stream properly.

Which enhancement?

If only the TV turns off and the app is still running, and you have enabled the run away playback prevention feature, then it should get stopped in time.

However, in Dizzy's case above, when he hits the power button his machine is shut down so the app is no longer running.

The issue has to be attacked on a couple fronts.  1) the app, if it knows it is being put to sleep, can stop the stream and 2) the server needs to refine its handling of figuring out when a stream has been "abandoned". 

For the Roku, specifically, when you hit the "home" button the app is not notified in any way it is just terminated so the server logic would need to handle this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can any of you that have this problem specifically from using the Roku and stopping playback by hitting the Home button, please test that scenario with the current Roku beta app?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
acmullen

Can any of you that have this problem specifically from using the Roku and stopping playback by hitting the Home button, please test that scenario with the current Roku beta app?

Thanks.

Testing it now, are there any steps to reliably reproduce it? Otherwise I'll just wait and see if my stream stops because my disk filled up again, which happens pretty often.

As an alternative/additional solution, can we add an option to limit the size of the temp folder and automatically trim the files if it goes over?

acmullen

The beta seems to have fixed any issues with exiting via the home button, the server correctly detects the video as paused. I noticed another issue though, which is that when an episode ends naturally and the next one plays automatically, the transcoded files for the first episode never get cleared. I think this bug was responsible for most of the junk file build-up for me at least, so transcoding-temp still ends up filling my disk.