Special episodes are not supported by "Next Up" row

Richard Branches

We currently don't show specials in next up, although it's possible for the future. thanks.

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

Thank you for including the specials episodes into the "Next Up" row, I just realized that they were already in the latest beta 🥳👏🏼🥳👏🏼:

Specials.thumb.png.e7e13441f1b522ca141886dafb48e3e4.png

Richard Branches

Oh no!, I found one little issue though:

There are some TV shows where the special episodes were aired after the first season but they are placed even before the first season, for example, on the below screenshot, the Stargate SG1 tv show has one special episode that was aired on january 17th 2005 but the first episode of the first season was aired on July 27th 1997, which means, that special episode shouldn't be the first in the "Next Up" row:

Specials2.thumb.png.63c580be1b66eaa5f0b35d9432d7082e.png

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Looks like this is happening with some TV shows because there are others where specials were aired after the first season and they appear in their corresponding position.

Richard Branches

The file is just a plain MKV one, but since the metadata is added by the TVDB plugin, I can easly see the aired date when I open the episode, as you can see here:

Specials3.thumb.png.c33e292027b377dabb5830ab0e230bae.png

Happy2Play

There is some conflict as Airs before/after Season fields were merge into the Airs during Season field (beta 4.6.x.x).  So now both the Airs during season and Airs before episode fields need filled in to have them in correct position.

Air Date is never used in series/episodes.

Edited by Happy2Play

Richard Branches

On TV shows where this is working correctly I was able to find the special episodes between the episodes of the seasons where they aired but in the above example, I couldn't find the specials episodes inside the seasons.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Richard Branches said:

On TV shows where this is working correctly I was able to find the special episodes between the episodes of the seasons where they aired but in the above example, I couldn't find the specials episodes between the seasons.

What does the metadata say?

Richard Branches
19 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What does the metadata say?

What should I look for?

I think I found the problem: I noticed that the TV shows with this problem are those where the specials were aired after the TV show ended, however, with Stargate SG1, the two special episodes I have were aired during two seasons I still don't have, so I guess the server considers them as if they were aired after the last season I have, the other TV shows I have completed, they also appear before the first episode of the first season, they were aired after the tv show ended.

Happy2Play

As mentioned and link to proper discussion topic, Since before/after fields were merged you need both fields populated to place episode in proper position.

So at the end of season 1 will be

Airs during Season 1

Airs before Episode 23

Where it use to be just Airs after Season 1.  So comments need to be made in the other topic.

Richard Branches

For example, on the G.I. Joe TV show I have, there is one special episode aired after the last episode I have from season 2, it was aired on april 19th 1987:

Specials4.png.c2568037cb8588133fa0115580a70274.png

The last episode of season 2 I have was aired on november 20th 1986:

Specials5.png.32a05bc79fae02e87607c8c8f8bbba29.png

Which means, the special episode should appear located after that episode in the episodes list, here:

Specials6.thumb.png.d13db5c0b28a01b2fe2ff06d3c60c1d7.png

Richard Branches
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

As mentioned and link to proper discussion topic, Since before/after fields were merged you need both fields populated to place episode in proper position.

So at the end of season 1 will be

Airs during Season 1

Airs before Episode 23

Where it use to be just Airs after Season 1.  So comments need to be made in the other topic.

Hold on, let me check that in my server...

Richard Branches

Alright, I found this in the "Edit Metadata" of the episode wrongly positioned,.

do I have to do this for each episode of each TV show?

What should I put in those fields if the episode was aired after the last episode of the last season I have?:

Specials7.png.50cda974bd6864c206ca606f702c50fc.png

Richard Branches

Summing up:

The special episodes aired before the first season or between seasons are getting correctly positioned inside the "Next Up" row and inside its corresponding season, BUT, special episodes aired after the last season available are wrongly positioned before the first season as in the Stargate SG1 screenshot I shared 1 hour ago.

Can it be fixed?

Happy2Play
23 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

Summing up:

The special episodes aired before the first season or between seasons are getting correctly positioned inside the "Next Up" row and inside its corresponding season, BUT, special episodes aired after the last season available are wrongly positioned before the first season as in the Stargate SG1 screenshot I shared 1 hour ago.

Can it be fixed?

As I just posted in the other topic that discusses the issue you have to manual add the episode position as Airs After Season field is no longer used.  So you need to comment in the proper topic so it gets the proper attention.

Edited by Happy2Play

Richard Branches

I did that, I'm still waiting for a response over there but let me tell you, what a mess!.

• 2 months later...
Richard Branches

Thank you for fixing this in beta server 4.7.0.1, though there is one concern I have which I'll comment about it in a more recent topic already created.

Richard Branches

I have one recommendation though, I noticed that the episode number of some special episodes in some TV shows I have were edited in the TVDB and that caused a mixed up in my library, I had to check the affected episodes one by one to make sure they were in the same order, that was my concern but I didn't know that until I started to investigate.

3 hours ago, Richard Branches said:

False alarm, everything is OK.

Thank you.

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

Richard Branches

Not so fast LOL, I found one problem:

Special episodes with the S00EXXEXX syntax don't appear in their correct position, for example:

Before you made the change, they appeared correctly as you can see here (it's an old screenshot I shared in a previous comment of this topic), the syntax of that episode is V - S00E01E02 - The Original Mini-Series.mkv:

Specials1.thumb.png.61909153282edcabcdb28e3c9336756e.png

But now it appears at the end of the other special episodes with the regular S00EXX syntax:

Specials2.thumb.png.bc8d26b6962d8ccb6550a0cfa36d5c3c.png

It's important to clarify that episodes with the SXXEXXEXX syntax in regular seasons appear in its correct position.

Check the values in the metadata editor, e.g. the season, episode numbers. Your metadata will determine where it goes.