Permission setting under OMV for Emby

ZIPNVW
Go to solution Solved by ZIPNVW,

Hello,

I am having an issue with Emby being able to see my media collection. I tried to use Emby Docker image in OMV but I did not find any guides and I could not get it working. I installed Emby by SSH into my NAS under the root account. I am able to access the WebUI and it seems to be working. My issue is that when I try to add a share folder to the library, Emby complains that it is not there. I am only guessing but i think it is a permission issue. I am running OMV4.  I have a pool of 4 drives under UnionFS. My folder structure is set up where the main folder is "Media". under that, I have a folder for SD Movies, HD Movies, and UHD Moves, TV Shows Etc.

Any insight would be appreciated.

ZIPN

Thank you. 

I am still trying to learn. I will try to figure our the commands to get this info.

Edited by ZIPNVW

mastrmind11

Thank you. 

I am still trying to learn. I will try to figure our the commands to get this info.

oh, ok.

jump into the command line and go to the root of your "media" mount and type 

ls -l

paste the output in a reply.

to find the user running emby server  type

ps aux | grep emby
  • Like 1

Just an update. I uninstalled emby and want to reinstalled it.  I know how to SSH in as root. What are the preffered way to install it? Should a create a new user "emby"?

mastrmind11

Just an update. I uninstalled emby and want to reinstalled it.  I know how to SSH in as root. What are the preffered way to install it? Should a create a new user "emby"?

Yes.  You should never install/run things as root.  Create a new user and run the container as that user.  Then make sure that user has r/w to your mount(s), and that's it.  The link Luke provided should walk you through it.

• Like 1

Yes.  You should never install/run things as root.  Create a new user and run the container as that user.  Then make sure that user has r/w to your mount(s), and that's it.  The link Luke provided should walk you through it.

The link looks like its dealing with an install when Docker is installed. I only have OMV. 

I installed the Docker Plug-in. I DL the Emby image from the Repo. I started it with Network Mode set to Host, and I added "/sharefolders/media" to the Host path. I added user "emby" and gave it permissions under ACL to read/write the Media folder and all file/subfolders inside. Under Privileges, I gave user emby read/write.  When I try to add the share to "Movies-UHD" that is under "Media", Emby cannot find it.

mastrmind11

Not sure then, I'm not familiar w/ OMV.  You might have better luck asking the question in the OMV section.

• Like 1

Thanks...

I did but no one responded yet. That is why I wanted to install emby direct and not in a docker so I can reach a greater pool of users in case I had questions.

• Solution

Well... I got it to work finally.

Thank you very much mastrmind11 for trying to help.

I scrapped docker and installed emby via the Atp Tool.  I added the repository for Debian9 from Opensuse.org. I guess this helps with permissions since emby started up and found the media folder.I was very close to scraping the whole thing and just install Server2016 but I tried one last time. 

• Like 1