Keeps syncing and synching

chjohans

chjohans

Yer, I deleted the nfo and refreshed the title (actually refreshed all titles) and also did a media scan. It's still  syncing and syncing and syncing and it has synced "Gravity" at least 4 times the few hours after I did this. So I put the .nfo back as it's not causing this issue.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

At least we know now, it's not caused by the nfo. Do you save artwork within your media folders? Does your server throw errors in logs? Some people have reported content are getting synced over and over due to server errors when trying to update content's metadata/artwork.

Edited by Angelblue05

chjohans

Please see post #14 in this thread for a more detailed description. I attached a server log in that post too.

The short answer is that MCM saves metadata in my media folder, Emby does not it has no write access to my library but is allowed to download metadata (needed for Auto Box Sets to work) and store in it's own directory.'

There are some error messages in my log, not a lot but a few, and it has "always" been like that. Not sure what they mean but does not look like they have anything to do with metadata. If you want to have a look please see my post #14.

Oh and thanks for trying to help with this :)

Angelblue05

Ah! No problem. [emoji4]

Does MCM modify those metadata files even when there's no modification to them? Because that would explain it. Check the date modified in the files properties, does it say an old date or, today's date for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

chjohans

No, MCM does not modify those files at all once they are in my library, unless I ask to to, which I extremely seldom do.

You can verify the file attributes including file date stamps in the screenshot I posted in post #14 :)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Sorry, missed that from my phone. Not even movie.xml which has quite a recent date on it?

Do they all have that type of file? Can we do the same test as the nfo, but with the movie.xml? Seeing if Gravity still appears in your server log.

Something is tripping up your server into thinking these needs updating. I see you have subs, do you have a subs downloader setup in Emby (open subtitles)?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@Luke

Could having both nfo and xml cause this?

Edit: nvm, even with the nfo deleted it still happened.

Edited by Angelblue05

Elguapo361

At the risk of sticking my nose in the middle of this thread, I have been lurking it in hopes of a solution. I have been experiencing the same behavior that chjohans has. Hundreds, if not thousands of updates each day, for seemingly random items in the library that haven't been touched. It occurs on two different clients (ShieldTV and MiBox).

As a data point, I noticed the movie "300" flash across the screen during an sync. I looked in the directory for 300, and there isn't a single file that has been touched. The last modified date for any file is 11/29/2016, which was a .srt file. This apples to my extrfanart and .actors folders as well. There's no reason I can see at all for 300 to be tagged to update in the Emby server.

Angelblue05

Do you have Emby download subtitles for your content automatically?

@@Luke

Could having both nfo and xml cause this?

Edit: nvm, even with the nfo deleted it still happened.

Well if either are updated that will cause the server to refresh the content, so it just makes this whole situation more likely to happen.

• Like 1

Elguapo361
Do you have Emby download subtitles for your content automatically?

I used to, but turned it off in the process of trying to troubleshoot the issue. Haven't had it doing it for a few weeks now.

Edited by Elguapo361
  • Like 1

chjohans

Sorry, missed that from my phone. Not even movie.xml which has quite a recent date on it?

Do they all have that type of file? Can we do the same test as the nfo, but with the movie.xml? Seeing if Gravity still appears in your server log.

Something is tripping up your server into thinking these needs updating. I see you have subs, do you have a subs downloader setup in Emby (open subtitles)?

I already tried to deleted the .xml, that made no difference. I also disabled the XML plugin, that made no difference either. The .xml does not change either, unless I trigger an update in MCM, which I hardly ever do.

And no, Emby is not setup to download any subtitles, MCM takes care of that as well, but only when the movie is added to my library. Aftewr that things are pretty much static.

• Like 1

chjohans

yea try shutting down mcm and not using it. it is probably updating the metadata files.

Tried to remove both .nfo and .xml, and also disabled the XML plugin, no difference. Emby can't update those anyhow, it has no write access to my library.

Emby can't update those anyhow, it has no write access to my library.

Doesn't matter. If it sees that they changed, it will refresh the content.

Angelblue05

Alright. And can you check your scheduled task on your server. Specifically library ones and if you use trakt, trakt tasks as well. Anything recent? Anything that seems to match up with the timeframe items are updated on your server?

chjohans

Well if either are updated that will cause the server to refresh the content, so it just makes this whole situation more likely to happen.

I do understand that a change to the matadata files, including .nfo's .xml's, will cause an update/sync. The thing is, my metadata files does not change unless I change them, and that rarely happens. And certainly not hundreds of times a day. :)

I do understand that a change to the matadata files, including .nfo's .xml's, will cause an update/sync. The thing is, my metadata files does not change unless I change them, and that rarely happens. And certainly not hundreds of times a day. :)

What makes this hard for us to chase down is, just like your open topic about the 3d format, you're using external software and that is creating variables that we are not seeing in our test environments. Why not just keep it simple, pick one metadata file format (not two), and let Emby manage it?

Angelblue05

It makes me wonder if the writing access could cause this. What if the server keeps trying to update something, but can't write to directory, causing it to try forever?

Angelblue05

Good to know. Just trying to go over things that could trigger every day. I guess after schedule tasks, really would be to test without mcm, or at least create a new library, with a few titles that is not handled by mcm, but by the server, and seeing if the issue also appears for those titles after a few days, like the rest.

chjohans

What makes this hard for us to chase down is, just like your open topic about the 3d format, you're using external software and that is creating variables that we are not seeing in our test environments. Why not just keep it simple, pick one metadata file format (not two), and let Emby manage it?

Come on now, so this is my fault? I can pretty much guarantee that I'm more frustrated than you with this. :)

Oh and there is another user in this thread saying he has the same problem, and there is a different thread with a similar sync issue. Maybe they are running MCM, using two metadata file formats and reporting 3D problems too? Sorry I'm really not trying to be a smartass here, and I'll be happy to make any changes required to make this constant syncing stop, but I need to know what causes this so I can make an informed decision about what I change.

This setup has worked fine for years, literally. I choose to use MCM to manage my metadata because it's better at it, and it has downloading integrated plus a whole lot of other features. And it can create metadata for other systems than Emby. I have used MCM, and MB/MB3, since the latter was nothing more than a "plugin" for WMC. I will consider to dump MCM if thats really what is causing problems, but I'm far from convinced.

I can delete the XML metadata, but since I don't have the XML plugin even installed it should not matter at all since Emby wont read it anyhow.

The 3D format is another issue, something has changed and it's not on my side :) And re the 3D format, there must be something that is not documented because that should not happen either. But let's not discuss 3D here please.

Edited by chjohans

Angelblue05

No one is saying it's your fault. :)

We are just trying to determine where the issue lies. Please let me know for your scheduled tasks.