No surround sound with TV video playback, only stereo

davesurfer
Go to solution Solved by Guest asrequested,

If the receiver supported DD+, yes. But if the streams that you have (that aren't working, correctly) are 5.1 DD+, I've got you covered :)

First, follow this

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50975-how-to-enable-mpv-logging-for-theater/

Then add this line to the mpv.conf

af=lavcac3enc=yes:384:5
And you should be good to go :)

@,

This is Sweet!!! I too have an old yammy and use a digital optic cable to pass audio to it from my HTPC. This is one of the last reasons I have been keeping Kodi installed on my HTPCs. I am going to give this a go and see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

@,

This is Sweet!!! I too have an old yammy and use a digital optic cable to pass audio to it from my HTPC. This is one of the last reasons I have been keeping Kodi installed on my HTPCs. I am going to give this a go and see how it works.

It works very well. I use it, too. But I use it for stereo tracks. I have a lot of old tv shows that have mp3 and stereo AAC, that I would prefer to listen to in surround sound.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

It would seem that there are quite a few people with old receivers that are still using optical spdif. Hopefully Luke will add it to the UI. One slight adjustment I might suggest, would be using 3 instead of 5, for the minimum channels. That way it will catch everything above stereo that isn't bitstreamed. I chose 5, to narrow the field. I have actually seen a 4.1 audio track, in the past. Which is weird. So I chose 5, to cover that. But I think 3 would be safe to use. It won't mess with music files, which was the main concern. In my case, it will process my music to AC3, as I have set the minimum channels to 2, but using the upmix option overrides it. So it will still process my music videos to AC3, which I much prefer. That way the singer is singing straight at me, while I watch. It feels more natural. People don't sing in stereo :)

davesurfer

@,

Yeah it works really well! What yammy you got? I have the RX-V1600. I've been putting off getting a new one, as I know it would be a few thousand bucks, so this solution is sweet.