Nvidia Shield and Emby

snorkel

snorkel

One word FANTASTIC.

I recently picked up a shield and it's the best device for emby I have tried. 

It's faster than the Xbox One Emby Client, completely destroys any version of the FireTV.

The Seek is incredibly fast and no odd issues with the sound taking longer to catch up to the video after a big seek forward.

I think part of it's speed is I have it connected with it's GB Ethernet port and it must have a really fast interface to the main board.  I know the Fire TVs Ethernet is just a internal USB connection and that limits it to 100mb.

The other really nice thing is it picks up recommendations from Emby for the home screen.

it's a bit expensive considering you can get a Xbox One for not that much more, but for how small and powerful it is I think it's worth it.

Anyone else have comments on it?

• Like 1

CBers

I recently picked up a shield and it's the best device for emby I have tried. 

That's what us Shield TV owners have been telling people for almost 3 years now :D

• Like 2

PenkethBoy

i agree - mine arrived yesterday and is so much snappier than Emby on my Sony 4k TV - this in part is due to the better processor and helped by the 1g networking

i got one as i got fed up trying to get the TV to stop asking emby to transcode - turns out the TV only has a 100mb wired network which i had not spotted until recently

Who makes a 4k tv and gives it a 100mb network - madness

4k Movie at high bit rate - no problem now

1080p was limited to a bit rate of ~20000kb via the tv itself and was choppy - not anymore though :)

Hopefully in the land of no transcoding!!!

• Like 1

snorkel

The biggest problem with the Shield is now I want more of them to replace the crappy 1st Gen Fire TVs I have around the house :-)

CBers

The biggest problem with the Shield is now I want more of them to replace the crappy 1st Gen Fire TVs I have around the house :-)

I have 3x Shield TV's ;)

• Like 1

snorkel

I have 3x Shield TV's ;)

I will need 3 more to replace the fire TVs.   Might have to look at selling them (old fire tvs and one roku) on Ebay  :blink:

Edited by snorkel
  • Like 1

Who makes a 4k tv and gives it a 100mb network - madness

Everyone, because 99.9% of the people buying it are streaming off the internet where no content is over about 15-20Mb/s

snorkel

Everyone, because 99.9% of the people buying it are streaming off the internet where no content is over about 15-20Mb/s

Yep, that's true, 100mb is plenty for stuff from the internet, though with that said in this day and age how much more would it add to the TV to just include a GB ethernet port? Not sure what the TV engineers are thinking LOL

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

the cost difference between a 100mb and a 1000mb network chip i would suspect is minimal especially considering the cost of the tv itself  

the cost difference between a 100mb and a 1000mb network chip i would suspect is minimal especially considering the cost of the tv itself  

Even if it is $1 and you know that less than 1% of your consumers would ever take advantage of it or even realize it was there you just saved millions of dollars for your company.

• Like 1

snorkel

if your buying a high end tv, would anyone care if the price went up 5 dollars for a gb vs 100mb nic? I can see putting the less expensive chip on the budget lines but on the higher end models there should be no excuse for anything less than a GB nic.

• Like 1

if your buying a high end tv, would anyone care if the price went up 5 dollars for a gb vs 100mb nic? I can see putting the less expensive chip on the budget lines but on the higher end models there should be no excuse for anything less than a GB nic.

Well, if it makes your TV $5 more than the competition then, yes, people will care.

You have to realize that you are not the average consumer :).

I have 3x Shield TV's ;)

CBers you're taunting me again!

I'll need 7.. quite the capital outlay..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CBers

CBers you're taunting me again!

I'll need 7.. quite the capital outlay..

ouch 7 - wow :)

I think @@MSattler has 7.

Edited by CBers

Yup. We have a TV in each of 3 Bedrooms, the Bonus Room and the Family Room plus the Back Patio. Next up is the Bar Area..

Heard there's a ShieldTV coming out. Basically a Flat Panel Display and a Shield with no built in Tuner.. Hmm..

MSattler

Yup. We have a TV in each of 3 Bedrooms, the Bonus Room and the Family Room plus the Back Patio. Next up is the Bar Area..

Heard there's a ShieldTV coming out. Basically a Flat Panel Display and a Shield with no built in Tuner.. Hmm..

Yeah, I've got a bunch:

Shields:

Living Room

Basement Projector

Master Bedroom

Kids Room

Kids Room

Kids Room

Mothers Room

then a MiBox, and one Roku.

Nothing compares to the shields, not even close.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it is a gaming panel and will probably be very expensive.  They were showing it off at CES.

• Like 1

snorkel

Appears there is a big issue with the Shield and Vizio and Sony Tvs
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1013481/random-audio-crackle-when-pausing-or-seeking-in-netflix-google-play-/?offset=12#5284628

Does not happen on the MI box on same TV, so it's something on the shield that is messed up.

I verified it does happen on my Vizio as well, and there is an issue with 5.1 sound talking 3 to 5 seconds after a pause or a seek to come back on.

Only solution right now is to completely disable surround sound.

Anyone else here using the shield on a Vizio or Sony TV?

snorkel

Is that issue limited to soundbars?

I don't know for sure but it appears to happen only when surround sound is involved.  The work around is to disable the surround sound on the shield.

My guess is whatever error it's causing is also the problem with the seek issues and the screeching sound and the dropped 3 to 5 second audio after a pause or a seek.

Kind of disappointing  :(