Not properly syncing/accessing library

7thSon

I have a Synology NAS which runs Emby server in a docker container, it seems to work without issues.

The NAS holds all the media that I want to share in my LAN, and I've created libraries for my folders Movies, Tv Shows, Music and Concerts (music videos), they all seem to have been created successfully and I can view them in the web UI.

My problem is in Kodi when running either Emby for Kodi or EmbyCon, both of the addons show "TV Shows" and "Movies" in the menus, but not "Music" or "Concerts".

I can access and play most files in TV Shows, but some are missing. Movies library in Kodi is also completely empty, even if I can see thumbnails in Kodi for Emby for some items, and yes, I'm accessing the Emby library and not Kodi's native library.

I've checked the permissions of the files and I can't understand whats wrong with this, all files in all subfolders of TV Shows have the same permissions as the files that are accessible and play, but still some are missing.

This seems strange as when Emby syncs the library I can see the progress bar go through all the Movies in that folder as well, but when the sync is done, still they're missing from the HTPC's library.

I have set up a user "emby" on the NAS which has read and write access to all the media folders mentioned above, and this is the user I've set as samba username / password on my Windows HTPC.

If I go to the "Add source" dialog in Kodi I can perfectly browse to all the folders above, no issues.

So my issues boil down to these questions:

What are possible causes for the missing library items, since they're obviously added and scraped into the Emby library successfully?

Do the file permissions have to be something specific for the files in the media folders on the NAS, and does the emby user need to be the owner of them or something? Now I have them all as admin:users with 777 which should be more than enough.

I've set up path substitution from "/emby/Movies/" to "smb://DISKSTATION/Movies/", but this I reckon should only work for Linux which is what I run on my desktop PC, how do I set up another substitution so that I can set "\\DISKSTATION\Movies\" for the Windows HTPC?

Edited by 7thSon

Which version of EmbyCon are you using, the latest beta of EmbyCon supports music, if you are running the version from the official Kodi repo that does not yet support music. Hopefully there will be a release within days to have official Kodi repo.

EmbyCon does not support music videos. The only Emby library types EmbyCon supports are:

- Movies

- Tv Shows

- Music (Beta Version)

From an EmbyCon point of view if you can see the items in the Emby web interface and you are using the same user in the Emby web interface and also in the EmbyCon Kodi addon then that is very weird.

How are you accessing the media in EmbyCon? Throught the EmbyCon addon menu?

Okay, in that case I will definitely want to use Emby for Kodi over EmbyCon, which is a shame, I liked the simplicity of EmbyCon, I don't need all the bells and whistles.

But in any case, neither of the plugins display my movies, music nor some tv show episodes, and I can't see why - as like I said before ALL media is shown in the web UI libraries I created.

I have only one user "emby" for emby which is used in the web interface and the plugin, that user has full rights to access all libraries and no parental control is enabled.

I just set up Emby for Kodi on my desktop PC running Linux and it's syncing the libraries, checking the Kodi logs I get smb errors like this:

22:04:06.994 T:139876901222144  NOTICE: EMBY.musicutils -> Not supported fileformat or unable to access file:

22:04:06.994 T:139876901222144  NOTICE: EMBY.musicutils -> getAdditionalSongTags --> embyid: 7496d72338d9b5fa71a48a0130f6b603 - emby_rating: 0 - file_rating: 0 - current rating in kodidb: None

22:04:06.995 T:139876901222144  NOTICE: EMBY.objects.music -> ADD song itemid: 7496d72338d9b5fa71a48a0130f6b603 - Title: title

22:04:07.375 T:139876901222144  NOTICE: EMBY.musicutils -> File does not exist! smb://DISKSTATION/Music/FLAC Kodi/filename.flac

The file most definitely exists, but I think that this is where my problem is originating, smb is not working as it should, there was something similar when I checked the kodi.log on my HTPC when trying to access the movie library via Emby for Kodi.

But how can it be, since I can access smb shares without issue otherwise from both my HTPC as well as my desktop PC, and the shares ARE enabled and yesterday I cleared the smb cache on the NAS?

At the start of the sync I get a message saying "Cannot find *filename of first file in movies folder*, check network credentials or path substitution, stop syncing?" or something along those lines. The network credentials are correct, I'm pretty sure of that, but how is the path substitution supposed to look? My server name is "DISKSTATION", and I've set emby up in a docker container, so the path is "/emby/movies", and on the network its either "\\DISKSTATION\Movies" on windows, or "smb://DISKSTATION/Movies" on Linux.

So if my web UI emby library says "Path: /emby/Movies/", what should the path subtitution say in order to cover both the Windows and Linux path substitutions?

Edited by 7thSon

Angelblue05

Ok, so do the following. Go to install add-on from zip > navigate your content via smb. Does Kodi ask you at any time for credentials? If not, does the path shown in Kodi when navigating to your music, match what you have in Emby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

It is possible the issue comes down to resolving the name "diskstation". That's a windows thing. I'd suggest you consider replacing it with the local ip address of the device instead, so linux and others can properly locate your files within your network.

Edited by Angelblue05

Ok, so do the following. Go to install add-on from zip > navigate your content via smb. Does Kodi ask you at any time for credentials? If not, does the path shown in Kodi when navigating to your music, match what you have in Emby?

It is possible the issue comes down to resolving the name "diskstation". That's a windows thing. I'd suggest you consider replacing it with the local ip address of the device instead, so linux and others can properly locate your files within your network.

I navigated to my DiskStation folder via "Add from zip", and realized it was blank, no access. This was on my Linux machine and I understood it was because my file manager auto-mounts using gvfs, so I mounted the paths via fstab and added them as sources in Kodi, and immediately emby was able to access the folders shared by the library. This however doesn't explain the problem on my Windows 10 HTPC which I haven't had a chance to work on any further today, but should still be failing.

Repeat the same steps for windows 10 and let me know.

Tried navigating via "Install from zip" on my HTPC now, and I can browse to my smb://DISKSTATION/ path and its subfolders without issues.

Emby for Kodi still doesn't show neither my Movies content or Music folder (the folder doesn't even show up in the plugin).

I added smb://DISKSTATION/Movies to my sources just like on Linux, as well as the other media folders, but that makes no difference on my HTPC (Windows).

After adding the above smb paths to my sources, I can access them with no issues from Kodi (but not in Emby), and they were set up with my emby user and password as credentials.

Any ideas?

Repeat the same steps for windows 10 and let me know.

A friendly reminder here

EDIT: I just had an epic facepalm moment... The movie library DOES work, and the reason why it wasn't showing any movies was because the view filter was set to "Watched", and there were no movies marked as "watched" in emby's brand new library. Holy Crap.

And it also seems that Music and Music videos also work, but they aren't found in the Emby for Kodi plugin, and I have no Kodi native libraries pointing to those, so it seems Emby for Kodi should implement those to show them in the plugin menu, it's very confusing as it is now.

One question surfaced now that I browsed my music library - a lot of albums are marked with year "9999", why is this, and what does Emby use as the source for the year values?

Edited by 7thSon
  • Like 1