Removing package emby-server tries to remove /opt

sscheib

sscheib

Hello everybody,

when using the "new" Emby server (the one based on .NET core) the uninstallation tries to remove the whole /opt directory.

See following output:

root@bemby:~# apt-get remove --purge emby-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  emby-server*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
After this operation, 176 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 44847 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing emby-server (3.2.70.0) ...
Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/emby-server.service.
dpkg: warning: while removing emby-server, unable to remove directory '/opt': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount point?
Purging configuration files for emby-server (3.2.70.0) ...
dpkg: warning: while removing emby-server, unable to remove directory '/opt': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount point?
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...

Luckily in my case this is a mount point, so it was unable to remove the /opt directory:
/dev/mapper/vg_system-opt      8.0G   79M  8.0G   1% /opt

Haven't seen this reported as an issue before but as we're no longer doing development on the old package I would just work around it the best you can. Thanks.

sscheib

@@Luke this is happening with the new package. I installed it to see where it puts its files in order to setup a ramdrive for that directory. So installed it and removed it immediatly after it.

dcrdev

@@Luke this is happening with the new package. I installed it to see where it puts its files in order to setup a ramdrive for that directory. So installed it and removed it immediatly after it.

That's standard behaviour on debian based systems - anything in a directory other than /usr/*, if empty dpkg will try to remove.

sscheib

That's standard behaviour on debian based systems - anything in a directory other than /usr/*, if empty dpkg will try to remove.

Hello dcrdev,

out of couriosity: where have you read about that? Since I didn't know about it, I'd like to learn more about it.

Thank you in advance! :)

dcrdev

Hello dcrdev,

out of couriosity: where have you read about that? Since I didn't know about it, I'd like to learn more about it.

Thank you in advance! :)

Mainly from my experience of using debian many years ago -

But it's commonly mentioned on the internet too:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13021002/my-deb-file-removes-opt

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/164321/after-creating-a-deb-dpkgwarning-while-removing-directory-usr-local-bin-not

sscheib

I guess nobody ever unquestioned - over at Debian - whether the behaviour is still necessary and required or not.

Thanks for providing the information dcrdev!

Curious, if you use sudo apt-get remove emby-server does it try to remove /opt? the -purge option is a bit more aggressive in removing files.

dcrdev

Curious, if you use sudo apt-get remove emby-server does it try to remove /opt? the -purge option is a bit more aggressive in removing files.

it will if /opt is otherwise empty, yes.