UN32M5300AFXZA

Sammy

There's a pretty decent price on this TV on Shell Shocker right not. I'm considering it for our bar area.

From what I can tell, Emby works fine on it but I'm not sure.

How does the Emby app for Samsung TV's compare to that on the Roku?

TIA

Shell shocker's over but I forgot my utility gives out $150 rebates for Energy Star compliant TV's over 39". Once properly calibrated it isn't compliant but that's not my issue!

I'm now considering this UN40M5300A which will be even less after rebate!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BTW, How does the Emby app for Samsung TV's compare to that on the Roku?

What about LiveTV and DVR Functions?

TIA

BTW, How does the Emby app for Samsung TV's compare to that on the Roku?

What about LiveTV and DVR Functions?

TIA

@@CBers

It would seem it looks just like Emby Theater?

The TV's I'm looking at support dts (probably not HD/HR MA) so there won't be any audio Transcoding?

Thanks!

On more question.. I have basically no 4K content and my other 6 TV's are all 1080p or less. At this screen size is 4K even necessary?

CBers

@@CBers

It would seem it looks just like Emby Theater?

The TV's I'm looking at support dts (probably not HD/HR MA) so there won't be any audio Transcoding?

Thanks!

Yes, it's the same as ET.

I have the LG version of ET on my LG TV.

ET on my LG works fine, although whenever you select subtitles, or audio prior to starting playback, then it crashes.

I don't use Live TV that often in Emby, but I've just had a play in the LG version and it's very slow and crashes often.

Can't set it up on my Samsung due to a problem with the UI, which is supposedly fixed in the next update.

I also have Nvidia Shield TV's connected to both TV's and I much prefer the Emby Android TV app.

99.9% of my content Direct Streams in the ATV app.

• Like 1

Yes, it's the same as ET. 

I have the LG version of ET on my LG TV. 

ET on my LG works fine, although whenever you select subtitles, or audio prior to starting playback, then it crashes. 

I don't use Live TV that often in Emby, but I've just had a play in the LG version and it's very slow and crashes often.

Can't set it up on my Samsung due to a problem with the UI, which is supposedly fixed in the next update. 

I also have Nvidia Shield TV's connected to both TV's and I much prefer the Emby Android TV app. 

99.9% of my content Direct Streams in the ATV app. 

Guess I'll have to roll out another Ceton Echo and get a wireless AP for this TV then!

Trying to save on buying additional equipment so the shield is out probably but I've been thinking of getting one for my Family Room instead of using my HTPC with ET.

Good to know about the direct streaming BTW.

Edited by Sammy

Just in case you missed it..

On more question.. I have basically no 4K content and my other 6 TV's are all 1080p or less. At this screen size is 4K even necessary?

Do it :D

I keep hesitating on pulling the trigger on a 2015 model that I have in camelcamelcamel when it hits my threshold! Next time..

CBers

I keep hesitating on pulling the trigger on a 2015 model that I have in camelcamelcamel when it hits my threshold! Next time..

If you can still get a 2015 model, I'd get one.

I have 2x 2015 and 1x 2017 models.

The 2015 is slightly bigger, but the remote is re-chargable and you can plug headphones into the remote, which you can't with the 2017 version.

• Like 1

If you can still get a 2015 model, I'd get one.

I have 2x 2015 and 1x 2017 models.

The 2015 is slightly bigger, but the remote is re-chargable and you can plug headphones into the remote, which you can't with the 2017 version.

I'd use my Harmony Elite / Hub but are there other reasons to get the 2015? I thought it had some other features that were deleted in the 2017 model?

And about that 4k? Thoughts on if it is really needed in a 40" TV?

CBers

I'd use my Harmony Elite / Hub but are there other reasons to get the 2015? I thought it had some other features that were deleted in the 2017 model?

And about that 4k? Thoughts on if it is really needed in a 40" TV?

Fair enough.

It plays 4K content without any issues on my 55" LG.

Fair enough.

It plays 4K content without any issues on my 55" LG.

Not worried about it playing, just wondering if it is worth it at 40", especially if I have no other 4K TV's. Thanks.

FrostByte

If it's your main TV I would spring for the little extra you're going to pay for a 4K set just because it will upscale your 1080P media and you just never know when you might get the bug to start acquiring 4K.

I haven't used my old Roku 3 since the first Samsung app written by chessdragon136 and cmcg came out, but it seemed fairly stable at the time.  I'm sure it's improved, but I prefer not to have another device if I can help it and the Samsung app Direct Plays everything I have to throw at it.

I haven't seen anyone mention those exact models before, but it does seem like the people who have the lower end models have more problems running the apps.  As cmcg alluded to they seem to not support everything the middle tier and above do whether the Smarthub is different, the processor is too slow, or whatever.  You could probably try it and return it though if it doesn't work.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

If it's your main TV I would spring for the little extra you're going to pay for a 4K set just because it will upscale your 1080P media and you just never know when you might get the bug to start acquiring 4K.

I haven't used my old Roku 3 since the first Samsung app written by chessdragon136 and cmcg came out, but it seemed fairly stable at the time.  I'm sure it's improved, but I prefer not to have another device if I can help it and the Samsung app Direct Plays everything I have to throw at it.

I haven't seen anyone mention those exact models before, but it does seem like the people who have the lower end models have more problems running the apps.  As cmcg alluded to they seem to not support everything the middle tier and above do whether the Smarthub is different, the processor is too slow, or whatever.  You could probably try it and return it though if it doesn't work.

The main TV is a 60" VT60 Plasma. This will be in the bar area and I'm wondering if 4k is worth it at 40" viewed from a relatively far distance due to the usage here.

Probably not. Rtings has a good page on deciding whether a UHD is worth it based on distance and size of TV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Their review on the M5300

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/m5300

Thanks. I have a bit of an issue when they review then say they recommend the TLC / Roku 4K essentially recommending a different class of TV.

Is this then the same Emby app as Roku boxes on the TV?

That said they mention issues with black levels in a dark room being the biggest issue. As this will be in our bar area I'm not sure that will be an issue.

Thoughts?

Edited by Sammy

FrostByte

I've noticed when Rtings recommends another brand it's usually because they think you can get something better at the same price point.  

The Samsung app looks and feels just like the ET store app on both Windows and Xbox if you have those.  The Roku app I believe is slightly different, but I haven't used the new version that came out since dumping the Roku.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49418-more-improvements-for-the-new-roku-app/?hl=roku

That TV will probably be fine for your intended use, it never hurts to check it out in the store first before buying online though if you can.  I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you how well Emby runs on it though unless they have that model.

Luke may be able to tell you if Samsung tests every model in a year, they may not

• Like 1

Just one quick question.. Is Roku on TLC a better way to go than the Emby App on a Samsung TV? I mean, which performs better? I read a few comments about crashes on Emby on Samsung but with my 6 stand alone Rokus, I do not see many crashes at all when running Emby. 

I'll be pulling the trigger this week so thanks for any and all comments and recommendations..

CBers

I'll be pulling the trigger this week so thanks for any and all comments and recommendations..

Buy an Nvidia Shield TV and plug it into any TV :D

• Like 1

This is for the Bar / Dining area and I want to save a few coins. Although the nVidia Shield is on my wish list, I want to get another TV with Emby and Netflix built in.