Auto play next episode

andyblac644

andyblac644

AppleTV Version 1.1.11

i seem to be having an issue with one of my appletv's, with auto play next episode, it starts the next episode ok, but after a few seconds it start the next one.

1: played NCIS - S10E11 let it run to end
2: press 'Start' on the on screen 'Start' button
3: episode NCIS - S10E12 starts,

4: after a few seconds NCIS - S10E13 started.

logs attached.

logs (2).zip

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

Update:

just letting it run till end, and auto play next episode seems ok, maybe it jumping to next after the gui timeout counter as-well as the Start button ?, if that makes sense ?

this used to be ok in version 1.1.10

Edited by andyblac644

I'm interested if this is reproduceable across different series and episodes.

It sounds like there was an error of some sort trying to play that episode at that time...

andyblac644

I'm interested if this is reproduceable across different series and episodes.

It sounds like there was an error of some sort trying to play that episode at that time...

i tested this theory by pulling the network briefly on emby server, and reconnected, apple tv stoped playing that episode and start next without warning, is there any you can stop this ?, and just silently stop playback.

i tested this theory by pulling the network briefly on emby server, and reconnected, apple tv stoped playing that episode and start next without warning, is there any you can stop this ?, and just silently stop playback.

If you have lots of items queued for playback, most people do not one failure to end up cancelling the entire playlist. The only option I can see is informing the user of the problem with a prompt and asking them what they want to do.

andyblac644

If you have lots of items queued for playback, most people do not one failure to end up cancelling the entire playlist. The only option I can see is informing the user of the problem with a prompt and asking them what they want to do.

it was simply playing an episode i did not queue anything, but yes that would be good "an error occurred" message would be better than starting the next episode imo

Edited by andyblac644

it was simply playing an episode i did not queue anything, but yes that would be good "an error occurred" message would be better than starting the next episode imo

If you have "Auto queue next episodes" selected, then you queued up the rest of the season.  So that is why it continued.

andyblac644

ok, after further investigation, does seem to limited to certain files, do you want copy of some file that this occurs on ?

If you have "Auto queue next episodes" selected, then you queued up the rest of the season.  So that is why it continued.

ok, got, it, in that case imo it would be best to stop playback and report issue to user, as user could easily miss an episode of a queued season.

Edited by andyblac644

ok, after further investigation, does seem to limited to certain files, do you want copy of some file that this occurs on ?

ok, got, it, in that case imo it would be best to stop playback and report issue to user, as user could easily miss an episode of a queued season.

Well, the flipside of that is, if using something like cinema mode, you don't want to prevent playback of the main feature just because a trailer failed to play.

Right now, the video player doesn't know the difference as it is just playing a list of what it was asked to play.

andyblac644

Well, the flipside of that is, if using something like cinema mode, you don't want to prevent playback of the main feature just because a trailer failed to play.

Right now, the video player doesn't know the difference as it is just playing a list of what it was asked to play.

but, imo, i don't use cinema mode, and i keep missing episodes, which is really bad, imo this needs looking at asap.

andyblac644

the annoying thing is, it only happens on some files, thats why you can easily miss an episode, there is no warning, next episode just starts when the previous one failed to play. But if you manually start the episode it plays fine.

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

If you can provide samples that’d be great because I’ve never seen this happen myself.

Thanks!

@@corey i'l DM you with a link once uploaded to my google drive.

@@andyblac644 --

Thanks for sending me the samples. I was able to repeat this but it looks like there's a failure, and possibly a bug, within tvOS itself as I'm seeing an error and Apple is immediately starting the next item in the playlist.

For those interested this is the error:

2018-01-28 21:26:08.858847-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228839] [] <<<< FigStreamPlayer >>>> fpfs_BytePumpFn: <0x7f8d8f19f600> error -12971 from manifold-substream 0
2018-01-28 21:26:08.859669-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228861] Task <3E29550C-75FC-48A4-A0DE-BBFC2B6FB515>.<12> finished with error - code: -999
2018-01-28 21:26:08.921665-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228839] [AudioHAL_Client] AudioHardware.cpp:1200:AudioObjectRemovePropertyListener:  AudioObjectRemovePropertyListener: no object with given ID 0
2018-01-28 21:26:08.921777-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228839] [AudioHAL_Client] AudioHardware.cpp:1200:AudioObjectRemovePropertyListener:  AudioObjectRemovePropertyListener: no object with given ID 0
2018-01-28 21:26:08.921858-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228839] [AudioHAL_Client] AudioHardware.cpp:1200:AudioObjectRemovePropertyListener:  AudioObjectRemovePropertyListener: no object with given ID 0
2018-01-28 21:26:08.922935-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228188] [TVPPlayer] Error occurred: Error Domain=AVFoundationErrorDomain Code=-11800 "The operation could not be completed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=An unknown error occurred (-12971), NSLocalizedDescription=The operation could not be completed, NSUnderlyingError=0x608000c40570 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-12971 "(null)"}}
2018-01-28 21:26:08.924680-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228188] [TVPPlayer] Changing to next media item due to error
2018-01-28 21:26:08.926428-0500 Emby.tvOS[22342:1228861] sendMessageWithDictionary: Failed to get remote object proxy: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection to service named com.apple.rtcreportingd" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.rtcreportingd}

I haven't been able to track anything down yet on the Emby side that'd cause this. I do find it interesting that if you start the episode and watch past where it errors when it's queued up it seems to continue just fine.

Edited by corey

@@Luke -- 

I was hunting through the Apple dev forums (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pIOXG4TurfEJ:https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/94632+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) and the response from a staff member was this.

This is an MPEG-2 TS parser error. It means that the TS segment was incorrect or corrupt in some way.

Thoughts?

If you play the episode standalone vs auto play, are the two transcoding sessions identical?

If yes, and it works on one but not the other, then it looks like a platform defect to me.

If no then we can look at what the differences are.

look at the command lines of the two ffmpeg logs.

As you can see in the attached logs the ffmpeg commands are identical.

I also confirmed that this still happens if you let the episode play to completion so it's not specific to the interaction with the overlay button. I wonder if it's some odd timing thing where the player isn't buffering appropriately or is somehow getting invalid data.

StartDirect.txt

OverlayStartNow.txt