Chapter skip and subs not working in latest version

Yvese

Using Emby app on my KS8000 that was just updated today ( 1/22 ). Version is 1.0.35. Emby server version is 3.2.70.0

As title says, chapter skip is not working in this version on any of my movies and subs are not showing up. I've already restarted the TV and soft-reset it ( by leaving it unplugged for a minute+ )

Edited by Yvese
  • Like 1

Can you please provide the media information for a title where subs is not working.  Thanks

Can you please provide the media information for a title where subs is not working.  Thanks

Hoping this is what you mean:

Text

ID                                       : 4

Format                                   : ASS

Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/ASS

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Sub Station Alpha

Duration                                 : 2 h 3 min

Bit rate                                 : 85 b/s

Count of elements                        : 1737

Compression mode                         : Lossless

Stream size                              : 77.4 KiB (0%)

Language                                 : English

Default                                  : Yes

Forced                                   : Yes

can you please tell me which country you use for apps on tv.I use USA I and lastest emby version that I can download is 1.29.Tv is from 2017 model mu6302

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

can you please tell me which country you use for apps on tv.I use USA I and lastest emby version that I can download is 1.29.Tv is from 2017 model mu6302

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

An update for USA 2017 should be coming soon

Apparently this is now a feature - chapter skip buttons function as next prev for use with a playlist as far as I understand.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54635-bug-chapter-skip-missing-from-emby-theater/

I really hope that's not the case. I mean I'd be okay with it if there was a scene selection menu on the movie page where you click 'play' and 'trailer', but there isn't. So now we're stuck with 30 second skips which take forever and sometimes even bugs out and freezes the app.

It's just real unfortunate since this app is even worse than before, and considering it took this long to update ( I made a post back in November about .ASS subs not properly rendering - now subs don't work at all ), I may just go back to PLEX.

Edited by Yvese

FrostByte

I believe the scene selection was added back in also, at least it has been in the latest Orsay version I have

I believe the scene selection was added back in also, at least it has been in the latest Orsay version I have

Yes, you can pick a scene/chapter from the details screen to start playback at that position.

I really hope that's not the case. I mean I'd be okay with it if there was a scene selection menu on the movie page where you click 'play' and 'trailer', but there isn't. So now we're stuck with 30 second skips which take forever and sometimes even bugs out and freezes the app.

It's just real unfortunate since this app is even worse than before, and considering it took this long to update ( I made a post back in November about .ASS subs not properly rendering - now subs don't work at all ), I may just go back to PLEX.

For the ASS subs, are they internal or external?  Thanks

Edited by SamES

For the ASS subs, are they internal or external?  Thanks

It's an mkv file so I assume external?

If that's the case I may have to wait another 3 months for an update since that's how long this latest one took :(. Not blaming the Emby devs since it's clearly Samsung bottlenecking updates for some reason.

Edited by Yvese

Updates going forward should be much faster. They were rejecting repeatedly over things that weren't actually an issue, and once we were able to talk to their support they realized that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I see a new version was released last week ( 1.0.36 ). I see there's a chapter select when you scroll down a movie's page which is nice, however chapter skip and subs still don't work. I don't know what the button is intended for now but it currently does nothing.

Also a new problem - movies that have TrueHD as default audio now transcodes instead of direct plays. I did not have this issue in previous versions - changing the audio to anything but TrueHD works but not sure why this has changed. Having to change audio every time would be really annoying, especially when my family and friends want to use my server but see a black screen since they don't know they have to change the default audio.

I don't think skip will work the way you are used.  As mentioned, its function has changed.

There is one more change coming for subs to completely resolve your issue as we found more than one issue causing this.  I expect it should be released more quickly.  Thanks for your patience.

Regarding TrueHD audio, as far as I'm aware this has always transcoded as it is not supported by the TV.  Please confirm this by playing the file directly from a USB drive. 

I don't think skip will work the way you are used.  As mentioned, its function has changed.

There is one more change coming for subs to completely resolve your issue as we found more than one issue causing this.  I expect it should be released more quickly.  Thanks for your patience.

Regarding TrueHD audio, as far as I'm aware this has always transcoded as it is not supported by the TV.  Please confirm this by playing the file directly from a USB drive. 

It works fine when playing from the USB. Thing is before this latest update Emby never transcoded when TrueHD was the default audio.

As for the subs, I look forward to the update. I hope it also resolves the issue with it not displaying properly and instead showing plain text with a black background and not custom text with signs etc.

FrostByte

I miss the chapter skip on the remote also.  What ever it does now (next episode?) I'm not using it for that.

If nothing else at least make the |< >| buttons on the OSD skip chapters.  Right now they buttons on the OSD do nothing.

• Like 1

I miss the chapter skip on the remote also.  What ever it does now (next episode?) I'm not using it for that.

If nothing else at least make the |< >| buttons on the OSD skip chapters.  Right now they buttons on the OSD do nothing.

I agree, chapter skip is much more useful to me, I never queue up episodes so they are useless to me in their current form.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested out the newest version ( 1.0.37 ) and the sub issue still persists. TrueHD is also still causing transcodes despite previous versions ( before 1.0.36 ) not transcoding.

Also for some reason since 1.0.36, there are some .ASS subs that cause the video/movie to just not load at all or only plays 1 second then freezes if loading through chapter selection. Disabling the sub fixes it.