Binding to two network addresses. Easy Pin Codes only work on one network.

hieroglyph

hieroglyph

My server has 3 NICs. By directly editing "/var/lib/emby-server/config/system.xml" to look like this:

<LocalNetworkAddresses>
  <string>172.31.13.123</string>
  <string>10.213.84.213</string>
</LocalNetworkAddresses>

I am able to access the server on my main network at 172.31.13.123:39647 and on my guest network at 10.213.84.213:39647.

And as I hoped, I am not able to access the server from the 3rd network at 192.168.13.115:39647.

This almost does exactly what I want it to. Except the Easy Pin Codes only work on the 172 network.

On the main network (172):

• I am able to log into all accounts using the full password OR the Easy Pin Code.

On the guest network (10):

• Again, I am able to log into all accounts using the full password. But I cannot log into any of the accounts using the Easy Pin Code.

It doesn't seem to matter which order I have the networks listed in the system.xml file. I get the exact same results.

This behavior is also true when logging into account directly on the server or when accessing the server from another machine.

Am I missing a setting that allows accounts to login using the Easy Pin Codes on all networks the server is binded to?

After reading the "Enable in-network sign in with my easy pin code" check-box description; is it possible the server thinks the 10 guest network is outside my home 172 main network and this is why the Easy Pin Codes do not work?

Server:

Emby Version 3.2.70.0

Linux Mint 17.3

Main Network: 172.31.13.123/24

Guest Network: 10.213.84.213/25

3rd Network: 192.168.13.115/29

Accounts:

Terrel.User - Pin and Full Password

Guest.User - Pin and Full Password

Hieroglyph.Admin - No Pin Setup. Full Password

server-63652070097.txt

mastrmind11

yeah, pretty sure this is not yet supported in Emby, though I think there is some work being done in how the local network logic determines whether you're on the local network, since what you describe is the same thing that happens when using Emby behind a VPN.

hi @@hieroglyph, this setting only controls what address emby server listens for traffic on.

The next release of emby server will have a new "lan networks" setting that will allow you to configure what ip addresses should be considered local on your network. Thanks.

• Like 1

hieroglyph

My now temporary work around, was to change the password of the guest Emby account to match the Easy Pin Code.

But once the next release hits, I will go back to the way it previously was.

@Luke Great! That answers my question. And glad to hear I will be able to specify which networks will be considered local.

Question though: When telling the server which ip addresses should be considered local:

1. Will we specify the ip address(es) the sever is binded to and thus it assumes any ip in that pool is local?
  2. Will we specify a range of ip addresses and anything in that range in considered local?
  3. Or will we specify specific device (i.e. a laptop, an odroid, a cellphone, etc...) ip address and it will treat that specific device as local, regardless of its ip address?

@mastrmind11 I had the same issue with accessing my server thru VPN. I was able to work around it by allowing the ip address the VPN assigns to overlap the main network. But this only works for me because all devices on my main network are assigned static ip addresses and I know not to use the ones overlapping the VPN ip pool (.248-.254).

Main: 172.31.13.0/24

VPN: 172.31.13.248/29

dcrdev

hi @@hieroglyph, this setting only controls what address emby server listens for traffic on.

The next release of emby server will have a new "lan networks" setting that will allow you to configure what ip addresses should be considered local on your network. Thanks.

Does this new setting allow doing the opposite i.e. defining ip ranges that should not be considered part of the local network?

• 3 weeks later...
smerrikin

I was just thinking this would be a great thing for security. I would have all my 8 users in 5 houses use my server and have strong passwords for all.

Then with a click of a button be able to add their IP address so that now that IP doesn't need a password anymore. They can flip between account with ease. No more required password for anyone.

The button and IP should be on the active devices section on the dashboard.