Emby Theater Locks up on one channel

bshaf

Guest asrequested

It should be the same, no? If live TV gets probed after it starts, couldn't you use this as course correction? The recording he gave me to test, is an identical stream. For the recording we can manually change the audio and be fine. But with a live TV stream, we can't. So I was suggesting to implement this for live TV, only. Not possible? I know it's a bit of a workaround, but at least it should play. The ultimate solution would be to disregard any stream that doesn't have a header, as that is the problem.

Wow, great work @ and @@Luke. Sounds like you're making great progress on finding a solution. Do you need me to test any of these proposals? 

Edited by bshaf

Guest asrequested

Luke would need to look into it, if he is considering it. As the stream gets probed after it begins, any adjustments would happen after it starts. Which isn't ideal. Having said that, this is very uncommon, so it may be acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...

Going back to @ comment about the root cause of the problem:

"It's definitely that MP2 audio. It won't play it without the header. When I remux it, and move it after the video track but before the AC3, Theater skips over it and plays the AC3. But what really needs to happen is that it should be ignored."

​Does this imply that the issue should really be fixed in the HDHomeRun Prime tuner? Is the tuner just not populating the correct header for the audio steam? Or maybe the issue is coming from the source (Frontier cable in my case). Should the tuner remove this steam if it doesn't have a header?

​I ask because the silicon dust app doesn't produce any audio when i tune to this channel so i'm starting to think that maybe the issue should be resolved in the tuner instead of each app.

Guest asrequested

I would think it's how the stream is created, meaning it comes like that from the source. Other than the provider changing it, I think the only other option is some software jiggery pokery. Possibly a firmware adjustment in the HDHR? You could try reporting it to Silicone Dust.

I posted on the silicon dust forum and passed them a sample recording. Nickk came back with the below response. He didn't mention anything about the header, but did say the first audio track contained silence. @ is that what you found too?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the file - I was able to reproduce the problem.

The channel has 3 audio tracks in the following order:
1st = MPEG audio, contains silence.
2nd = AC3 audio, 5.1 ch, labeled as English, contains audio.
3rd = AC3 audio, 2 ch, labeled as Spanish, contains audio.

There does not appear to be any ordering information so the HDHomeRun player picks the 1st track resulting in silence.

The next issue is when you press the SAP button to switch to the 2nd track the Windows 10 version of the HDHomeRun app is unable to change codecs so you don't get audio even after switching.

This problem will take some more investigation.

Guest asrequested

That's interesting. I didn't actually analyze the audio stream. I was focusing on getting around it. It would seem it's a phantom track. It looks like they are trying to find their own way around it, in their player. That unfortunately won't help in emby, unless they find away around it in the firmware.

Guest asrequested

@@bshaf

Here's something that might work in Theater desktop. Add this line to your mpv.conf where you set up the logging.

alang=eng,en,enUS,en-US,English

Guest asrequested

No, I don't think it will work. Try it, anyway, but I think theater is overriding it. I just tried it with spanish, and it still played english.

Guest asrequested

Luke as restored the audio channel selection in Theater. Give that a try. I'm interested to see if  that'll work in your situation. 

No luck. After i select the channel i attempted to switch to the Dolby 5.1 stream (by clicking the music note at the bottom), but there is no audio (same with the spa Dolby stereo stream). I basically get the same results as described in the first post (ie no audio, followed by the app crashing after about 5 seconds). 

Good idea though. Keep the suggestions coming...

​Ok, this just in. I noticed that the windows store emby app just updated so i tried playing the channel there and it appears to be playing just fine on the default audio stream (MP2). I even tried changing to the Dolby 5.1 stream and that appears to work too. So i think the issue is now only in the desktop app.

Should i consider switching to the windows store version as my default? In my experience the windows store app appears to require transcoding on any video i throw at it (ie, live tv, movies, etc).

Guest asrequested

The weird thing I've discovered, is the second audio track mpv is reporting it as spanish, but it's narration for the visually impaired.Not sure anything can be done about that. I would think that provider is labeling it that way. I only mention it because I was expecting hear spanish when I was testing, so I was mistaken when I initially tested.