hauppauge PCIe Adapter support planned?

snorkel

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, pearsco said:

Checking in to see if this is still on the roadmap. Been waiting on this feature for a long time now.

Hi, yes it is. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
Brian_Oblivion

Currently a Plex user investigating alternatives.... I have a plex server running on Ubuntu with a hauppauge wintv quad PCIe card installed.   

I installed Emby and after I've read through the forums, I shouldn't be surprised that Emby cannot detect that tuner card. 

Just wondering if support for these cards on linux/ubuntu is coming anytime soon?  

37 minutes ago, Brian_Oblivion said:

Currently a Plex user investigating alternatives.... I have a plex server running on Ubuntu with a hauppauge wintv quad PCIe card installed.   

I installed Emby and after I've read through the forums, I shouldn't be surprised that Emby cannot detect that tuner card. 

Just wondering if support for these cards on linux/ubuntu is coming anytime soon?  

Hi, I don’t have an eta but it is in our plans. Thanks.

arrbee99

Would this be doable using NextPvr as an intermediary, so NextPvr feeds Emby  ?

SHSPVR
5 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Would this be doable using NextPvr as an intermediary, so NextPvr feeds Emby  ?

Yes very doable I had mine setup as M3U Tuner

arrbee99

That's basically what I do now, but wanted to be make my comment a bit vague, as I actually use a TBS card and Windows...

SHSPVR
8 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

That's basically what I do now, but wanted to be make my comment a bit vague, as I actually use a TBS card and Windows...

It doable under both Windows and Linux with NextPVR and Emby

Edited by SHSPVR

Brian_Oblivion
20 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

It doable under both Windows and Linux with NextPVR and Emby

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.....  LiveTV in Plex is a disaster, IMO. 

Hope they will add the WinTV tuners (et al) for linux soon. 

Brian_Oblivion

Just a little update, for anyone that might be looking to do the same.  I did manage to get Emby running using TVHeadend to interface with my WinTV OTA card installed in my Linux (Ubuntu) machine. 

I tried Nextpvr also but got frustrated with all the transcoder problems. 

TVHeadend is not for the faint of heart, it's very powerful but also very difficult for a noobie to understand. Luckily I was able to get my OTA channels scanned and setup. 

My only issue right now is I would like to speed up OTA channel tuning if possible. It takes about 6-10 seconds to tune a channel. I'm not sure what to expect but I'll dig further and startup a new thread for that issue if I don't get anywhere (appreciate any tips!).

I have to say, Emby is WAY better than Plex at LiveTV and setup in general.   

I look forward to when I can just use Emby with my tuner card directly. 

arrbee99

No tips for speed. NextPVR has something called Keep Tuners Primed, which 'keeps the tuner alive after it's first use'. Don't suppose TVHeadend has anything similar ?

Q-Droid

Acquiring the channel/stream is not the problem with Emby tuning for Live TV. That operation is usually in the 400ms(+/-)  range. It's the time it takes Emby to analyze the stream and setup the DVR like pause/skip/ff/rew segments that takes most of that time. If direct playback is enabled on the client (no pause/skip) then Emby can tune the channel and send the stream in that 400ms range.

Q-Droid

I agree that it should be faster.

Okay, it's actually more in 700ms(+/-) range to acquire the m3u channel/stream.

I tried again to be sure since it's been a long time and direct play is slower than I remember on a Nvidia Shield. Now it's around half of the time it takes to start with DVR options but still longer than I remember. Oh well...

arrbee99

Whats annoying is when NextPVR added their keep tuner alive thing, using it as a backend for Theater it got basically as quick as that (less than a second), but its got slower and slower...

And on a Shield, direct play, its still a good few seconds.

Brian_Oblivion

I'm down into a more tolerable 3-5 seconds with the "pause" feature disabled (no transcoder). Makes total sense firing up a transcoder would take time, just wish it could be faster.

I would be really curious to know how fast it could theoretically be to switch and tune channels on my wintv card.... like a little simple program that runs on the command line that would tune between channels and throw away the video stream bytes when it started getting them. I am a software dev by trade but I suspect figuring out how to interface with the card is deep rabbit hole :-). 

In terms of the "keep alive" thing,  tvheadend has a "power save" checkbox on the tuner that I never had enabled. Don't know if this is what nextpvr was doing. 

It would be cool if tvheadend/emby would just keep all the tuners tuned and "running" so the least 4 recent channels (in the case of having a quad tuner like me) would tune quick (like a FIFO buffer of sorts).  I think average users are flipping back and forth thru a couple of OTA channels in a given viewing session.  Combine that with a "back" feature where you could hit a button and tune back to the last channel super fast would a game changer.