No compatible streams are currently available.

TheFreeMan

TheFreeMan

New Emby user with a fresh install of an Emby docker on my unRAID server running Emby version 3.2.60.0.

I can access the server on my home network via <serverIP>:8096 and play any movie or TV show I've tried.

Externally, I can access the server via https://emby.mydomain.com running through a LetsEncrypt/nginx reverse-proxy. The proxy is password protected, and all my users can get access to the server (most of the time, occasionally it's very slow to respond and times out, but that's a different issue).

Unfortunately, most videos are giving me the "No compatible streams are currently available" error. I have 2 tabs open in Firefox - one to IP:port, and the other to emby.mydomain.com - I can browse to the same video file and it will play just fine through the local network connection, but gives the error on the external address. It seems that it's only MP4 files that will play, but not all MP4 files will actually play - some give me the "No compatible streams..." error as well.

I've seen many references to this issue as I've searched through the forum, and they all seem to point to permissions on ffmpeg. I don't think that's my issue, but of course I could be wrong. From an SSH session:

docker exec -it binhex-emby bash

[root@5da56faaed9c ~]# ls -l /usr/sbin/ |grep ffmpeg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   264088 Oct 20 13:55 ffmpeg

So the whole world can execute ffmpeg. Based on the attached ffmpeg-transcode-* log, it appears to me (in my obvious infinite wisdom) that ffmpeg is actually executing, but that something is going wrong.

I've redacted the actual URL and user name from the transcode log and have replaced my actual domain with the fictional "mydomain.com" in the server log. Those are the only changes I've made to either log file.

If any additional configuration information or log file is needed, I'm more than happy to oblige.

server-63651586423-redacted.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-e9376a40-1753-4a9d-9509-f0605c4868fa-redacted.txt

Edited by TheFreeMan

Hi, nothing obvious jumps out here. As at test, can you try Chrome and see how that compares? thanks.

pir8radio

nginx.conf as requested.

Same result using Chrome

also need the associated configs for your emby site

include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
include /config/nginx/site-confs/*;

TheFreeMan

also need the associated configs for your emby site

include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
include /config/nginx/site-confs/*;

When I `docker exec` into the container, /etc/nginx/conf.d exists but there's nothing in it. My config files are available from outside the container. I posted nginx.conf above and am attaching proxy.conf here. These appear to be the only 2 .conf files I've got.

Also attached is the site-confs/default and .../emby

Anything else you need, just holler!

Edited by TheFreeMan

pir8radio

Soooo  how did the emby.conf get created?   you can remove them from your post now for security...    So you have basic authentication enabled, is that by choice? Don't trust emby authentication?    Just trying to figure out why some of these config settings are the way they are...   

When I `docker exec` into the container, /etc/nginx/conf.d exists but there's nothing in it. My config files are available from outside the container. I posted nginx.conf above and am attaching proxy.conf here. These appear to be the only 2 .conf files I've got.

Also attached is the site-confs/default and .../emby

Anything else you need, just holler!

TheFreeMan

Soooo  how did the emby.conf get created?   you can remove them from your post now for security...    So you have basic authentication enabled, is that by choice? Don't trust emby authentication?    Just trying to figure out why some of these config settings are the way they are...   

I created the emby.conf file by modifying the default template.

I put up the LE & nginx container as security and to reduce the number of ports I have exposed. I had been using Subsonic for years (and more recently one of the forks) to serve up video, Piwigo for photos, COPS for books and it seems like something else. Everything had an IP forwarded at the router, everything had a password and trying to get the family to actually use not only strong, but unique passwords was tough. With the basic auth enabled, I can walk them through picking one good, strong(ish) password and have a secure front door with only 2 ports (80 & 443) exposed.

I then discovered Emby and decided that it looked pretty good and that I wanted to run with it. I still like having the solitary front door, so I'd prefer to go that way. No lack of trust of the Emby team, but I have just met them... :P

Are these configurations causing the issue or just a curiosity for you? I get asking questions trying to figure out why a new user ended up where he did, even if they're not directly related to the issue at hand...

pir8radio

I created the emby.conf file by modifying the default template.

I put up the LE & nginx container as security and to reduce the number of ports I have exposed. I had been using Subsonic for years (and more recently one of the forks) to serve up video, Piwigo for photos, COPS for books and it seems like something else. Everything had an IP forwarded at the router, everything had a password and trying to get the family to actually use not only strong, but unique passwords was tough. With the basic auth enabled, I can walk them through picking one good, strong(ish) password and have a secure front door with only 2 ports (80 & 443) exposed.

I then discovered Emby and decided that it looked pretty good and that I wanted to run with it. I still like having the solitary front door, so I'd prefer to go that way. No lack of trust of the Emby team, but I have just met them... :P

Are these configurations causing the issue or just a curiosity for you? I get asking questions trying to figure out why a new user ended up where he did, even if they're not directly related to the issue at hand...

Curious at the moment..  There are a few people on here that do basic auth, I'm not a fan...  breaks the apps.. 

TheFreeMan

Yeah, I noticed...

I can VPN in and use the app. I haven't found a video that won't play that way, but, of course, the phone is on the home network in that situation...

pir8radio

So after PM troubleshooting it looks like security settings in nginx were set a little tight...   Sounds like you will fix that on your own...  Good luck!  Enjoy emby/nginx!!  :D

Edited by pir8radio