Emby + ReadyNas + DLNA + No Outside Internet connection

plasma800

plasma800

Hi All,

I'm working on a new setup and hoping you can shed some light on a few things for me.

I want to take my movie collection on the road with my in an RV.

So I'm considering Emby on a Ready Nas rn212 ( i really would like synology 116, they are hard to find) 

At any rate.  I'll have no outside internet connection, but I know I can run DLNA, and I know what app on the apple tv will playback DLNA just fine.

My question is more centered around will the Readynas give me any grief for not having an outside connection.

I would think not.  If I have a wifi network on board, then the ready nas shouldnt care at all, but I thought It best to double check before I bought the thing.

thanks

hi, as far as being able to run the emby server app on ReadyNas, i haven't heard of anything that will prevent you from doing that, thanks.

plasma800

Yeah, appears the emby server app will work well on the ReadyNas.

I'm just hoping the unified login to ReadyNas won't cause me any grief without an internet connection.  I don't think it would, but stranger things have happened.

And I guess most of the time, I actually would have an internet connection via 4g or campground wifi... but before I plunked down the dollars, better to check.

plasma800

Does the emby server app work on x64 versions on ReadyNas?  Over at the ready nas forum, some one mentioned emby only working on x86, but the install instructions mention both.. sort of.

Well the RB212 has a Quad core ARM Cortex A15 1.4GHz processor, which I'm pretty sure is a 32 bit processor, so maybe that won't work.

Edited by plasma800

plasma800

What about on Synology?

I have a friend operating emby server on a DS116, and according to it's specs, it's a 32 bit processor.

JBDragon

Hi All,

I'm working on a new setup and hoping you can shed some light on a few things for me.

I want to take my movie collection on the road with my in an RV.

So I'm considering Emby on a Ready Nas rn212 ( i really would like synology 116, they are hard to find) 

At any rate.  I'll have no outside internet connection, but I know I can run DLNA, and I know what app on the apple tv will playback DLNA just fine.

My question is more centered around will the Readynas give me any grief for not having an outside connection.

I would think not.  If I have a wifi network on board, then the ready nas shouldnt care at all, but I thought It best to double check before I bought the thing.

thanks

When you say take your movies on the road, does that means you're streaming them over the internet from your home to where ever you're at?  Or are you saying you're taking your NAS with you in your RV?  If it's the second one.  You're bringing your NAS along with you.  There's really no need to run EMBY or PLEX or any type of server at all.  I would Direct Play.  Do you have a newer AppleTV, like a 4 or the 4K, but needs to be at least a 4.  If so, you can grab VLC Video player and you can connect to the NAS on your local Network.  Just Direct Play your movies that way.  It's like VLC on your Windows PC.  There's also one called INFUSE.  You get kind of the same type of Interface for your movies as EMBY and PLEX, but without needing to run a server.  But it'll want to go out onto the Internet to get Box Art and stuff for all the listings.  But you can also just pick what directories it gets access to, you pick on your NAS, and then it creates the movie Catalog.  Again, no need to run a server.

PLEX and EMBY I like to think of as my own personal Netflix type service.  I can log in a stream shows at home or away, and I have a few friends and their own friend's accounts and they can stream from me like they stream from Netflix.  So I can watch all my movies anywhere in the world with an Internet Connection, easily.  Plex and EMBY are both really good at doing that.  That sounds like overkill for your own needs.   So I assume you have some type of small switch in the RV and you have ethernet going from the AppleTV t it along with your NAS going from it to the Switch.  That would link the 2 on a local Network.   It's been a while since I've done things like that.  I would assume you could create your own IP address in the Apple TV and one for the NAS.  So you give one 192.168.0.2 and the other 192.168.0.3 or some such thing.  Not sure if you're using a router to just do it on its own with DHCP.

So there's a lot of missing info I can only guess on.  Taking the NAS with you, or not with YOU, I hope you have a Backup!!!  A NAS, in general, is not a Backup unless it's used to backup another NAS!!!  Regular HDD bouncing on a long RV trip?!?!?!  For sure don't want them running when you're moving.  Unless they are SSD's.

The other option is EMBY and PLEX allow you to dump a copy pretty easily onto your iOS device.  You can have it transcode down to a lower quality which will still look just fine but take up less storage space.  Then you can AirPlay to the AppleTV those Movies you wanted to take along that way.   You can't take everything.  If it's a really long trip, it's not practical. But if it's 1 or 2 weeks.  You know what you'd like to watch, you could dump those movies onto your iOS device.   Many people don't think of doing something like that.  If you're going on a plane flight.  You're not going to stream.  But if your Content is local, you can watch your own movies on a flight.  Or driving around in a car.  Bumps on the road won't matter.  So a lot of great uses doing that.   When done, wipe that content right off.   Again just something else you didn't mention.  RV trip length.  So all I can do is guess.   On your iPhone or iPad, you can AirPlay to an older AppleTV3.    Which is good as you can't download Apps on that older AppleTV like you can on the 4 and newer.

plasma800

Thanks so much for this.

Yes the plan on the rv is to run a router with WiFi. Externally this on the road networks gets connected to either campground WiFi, or 4g lte , which ever is available, or nothing.

This woukd also serve our laptops, and the nas goes with us. I’ll backup the nas to backblaze and locally at home.

I have no plans to share the nas outside of my own networks.

I do have an aptv4, I did install infuse, I build the library one time and turned off needing to check for cover art unless I do it manually.

I’ll install Vlc on the aptv4 and have a look at the movie directory.

Some trips are short, a week. Some trips are long, 3 months.

Used to carry a ton of dvds, would prefer to carry the one device.

The nas is shut off and packed while traveling.