Server optimization (Transcoding)

kowex

Hi,

I recently discovered this excellent project, and I immediately tried it on my linux VPS. But quickly I found some "blocking" features and I would like to understand more how to overcome this.

Actually I found that emby is transcoding all the time which makes my CPU usage grow up and the server being useless (can't have 2 clients on emby).

So I am wondering, how can I optimize this? There is maybe a video format which does not need to be re-encoded, maybe an option in emby to force the default format to the one the video is (like no quality changing, making the client wait if it doesn't have enough bandwidth, ...?).

I really would like to setup an emby server for my personnal usage, but if I can't handle multiple clients at a time then I cannot use it.

I am not very concerned about my clients (since it's me), I mean that I can start loading the movie 1hour before if needed (because of bandwidth issues for full quality movie) but I don't want my VPS to use its CPU to reencode in a lower quality...

Anyway I am not sure if I am very clear, but I am looking for *ANY* way to optimize my CPU usage.

Thank you all in advance.

mastrmind11

Figure out what  formats your client(s) can play natively and the media will direct play unless your bandwidth is below the bitrate of the media you're trying to play.  Almost all clients can play mkv encoded media, and then it comes down to whether the client can play the audio format contained.  Generally speaking, when a piece of media has to be remuxed/downmixed, it's a pretty light task and probably won't affect your server for more than a few seconds.

Guest plexman

The best thing (is what I do), convert everything to h264/aac/mp4, this is compatible with nearly everything without transcoding.

snorkel

The best thing (is what I do), convert everything to h264/aac/mp4, this is compatible with nearly everything without transcoding.

I do that as well for any movies I rip from BD or DVD.  Rip and then convert with Handbrake.

What do you do for TV shows from the antenna that are mpeg2?   I was doing the on the fly transcode as it records, but that has a limitation of the seek not working for a recording in progress.

I do that as well for any movies I rip from BD or DVD.  Rip and then convert with Handbrake.

What do you do for TV shows from the antenna that are mpeg2?   I was doing the on the fly transcode as it records, but that has a limitation of the seek not working for a recording in progress.

Personally I convert tv shows also. I use the folder syn plugin to convert on a schedual. Then i have a script that runs every hour to copy recordings and a daily script that runs to delete the leftover .ts files.

This can also simply be done with ffmpeg and a script, i have seen some pretty amazing examples out there of scripts for ffmpeg, always impresses me just whats possible.