Resume Playback Isn't Working

soylentcreek

soylentcreek

Hi guys, I'm a long time Kodi/XMBC veteran, but new to Emby.  I installed Emby earlier this evening, and successfully installed the Emby for Kodi Addon, and have it setup and working.  I have run into a bit of a snag, which is whenever I play something and stop it (lets say 2 minutes into playback), it will mark whatever I was watching as Watched in both Kodi and Emby Server. Unfortunately, this means if I go to play the file again, it will start from the beginning. Is there something that I'm possibly missing with regards to the setup that could be causing this issue. If I'm not mistakem, the playback time is supposed to sync with Emby Server, and in this case it should only be flagged as partially watched.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

Edit:  I'm using version 2.3.62a of the add-on, and I'm on Kodi 17.6.

Edited by soylentcreek
  • Like 1

soylentcreek

That's likely it.  It doesn't appear like the Runtime is being added to any of the files.  Anyway to resolve that?

• Like 1

soylentcreek

Well, it seems like this problem re-surfaced on it's own.  I updated to the latest beta to see if maybe that would resolve it, but that unfortunately did not work.  To recap, the issues that I'm seeing are as follows:

When playing a media file from Kodi (or any other application such as the Emby for Android App), the playback progress does not appear to be logged and synced properly.  If playback is stopped, and I attempt to restart it later, I'm not given the option to resume playback, but instead the file just plays from the beginning.

Another issue which I believe relates to this issue is that upon stopping playback, the content is instantly marked as "Watched" in the server and that status is also synced to Kodi.  So even if I am only 5 mintutes into a show, and have to stop the playback for whatever reason, it will show up as watched in the media browser.  I tend to set Kodi to hide watched items by default, so this can be a bit tedious. 

My setup is Kodi 18 Alpha (I was running 17.6, but decided to do a fresh install and decided to bump up to 18) running on an Nvidia Shield. Emby Server is currently on 3.2.60.15.

A debug log for what is happening server-side can be found here: 

https://paste2.org/h9XCLtH9 

If there is anything else I can provide, please let me know. 

Angelblue05

Your link does not work.

Same issue as before, runtime is not picked up by the server? Then it's a server issue. Maybe I should move your thread. This has nothing to do with Kodi. Once it's resolved server-side, all apps will start working as intended.

Edited by Angelblue05

soylentcreek

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post.

Not sure way the paste2 isn't working.  I'll post over in the server forum tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Angelblue05

No problem, I'm just trying to make sure your post reaches the right people :)

Following your link, it says:

Page Not Found

The requested URL /h9XCLtH9%C2%A0 was not found on this server. The link you followed is probably outdated.

Edited by Angelblue05

crazyquark

I think I understand. I think it simply doesn't work for newly added episodes and the reason is that ffprobe fails to extract metada:

I see this: all over the logs:

Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin	System.Exception: ffprobe failed - streams and format are both null.

crazyquark

Can we see that emby server log? thanks.

Yup, it was linked in a previous post:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/215keuoaxqndpq1/emby.log?dl=0

On second thought, I don't think ffprobe is the issue, I manually ran on the same files with the same params and got no error, seems it just sometimes fails when rescanning the library.

Edited by crazyquark

@@crazyquark, i see you're running our older mono based install which requires you to manage your own ffmpeg build. If you'd like to switch to our new installation package, we now have armhf support with ffmpeg included so that you'll never need to worry about it. And this should all just work out of the box.

You can learn more on our download page:

https://emby.media/download.html

Just be aware it would be a brand new installation so you'd have to remove the current package from your system. Thanks.

crazyquark

That's awesome, I was not aware of this, I was just using the emby-server package from my distro repo.

Will give it a try ASAP.

crazyquark

Looks like it is the exact same version I had in my repo 3.2.70. I removed my package and installed manually via dpkg, also did an apt-mark hold to prevent updates.

Any chance you guys would be willing to provide a PPA?

I will test and see if the problem still persists.

Thank you for your support.

crazyquark

OK, so I tried the official build with ffmpeg built-in and performance is degraded, the server crashes after scanning the library for a while. I even reset my metadata(deleted folder and let emby create it) but it still crashes after scanning for a while my folders. :(

Edit: I installed the beta now and it finished eventually scanning the library. Still at times it crashes when restarting fore example with signal 11/SIGSEGV.

Trying to find some logs.

Edited by crazyquark

crazyquark

I installed the beta and after it finally finished scanning the library it has been running stable for a few days.

I suspect my 2GB of RAM on the odroid-xu4 might not be enough for all the processes I am running.

Anyway, the core problem, with the missing runtime info is now solved with this package.

Btw, does the bundled ffmpeg support hardware transcoding on Exynos5 hardware?

• Like 1

@crazyquard i would have liked to have seen your log files. 

About hardware transcoding, only VAAPI is included. We can look at other libraries in the future. But VAAPI may work so try that.

• Like 1

martinc666

Have same issue, looks like only for TVShows are affected. 

I start the episode (like 2 sec) pause it,  start something else and the episode I paused become marked as wachted. 

Kodi: Tablet - 17.4/ PC -17.6

Server: Version 3.2.70.0

Add-on: 2.3.62a

EmbyServerLog.txt

Edited by martinc666

Have same issue, looks like only for TVShows are affected. 

I start the episode (like 2 sec) pause it,  start something else and the episode I paused become marked as wachted. 

Kodi: Tablet - 17.4/ PC -17.6

Server: Version 3.2.70.0

Add-on: 2.3.62a

What about from the emby web app?

Angelblue05

Please confirm that your files do have a runtime detected in the server. Select the file in the web app, does it show a run time below the file title?