roku premier+ and aac 5.1

provokaz

provokaz

so a family member has the roku premiere+ and i did a little research that basically says the issue is the roku says it can handle aac 5.1 but only to downmix it to 2.0pcm. i've circumvented the issue a little bit using the blue neon theme addon thing that allows me to force it transcode which in turn changes it into ac3 and the receiver says dolby digital on it. my question is, is there a way that i can set it up to auto transcode all 5.1 aac to ac3 automatically? or is there any workaround/fix for this? the people using the roku arn't insanely tech savvy so having them know when or when not to force a transcode is confusing for them

provokaz

pretty much yeah. i just finished setting them up a surround sound system and they were kind of sad it was coming out in stereo 

Edited by provokaz

Hmmm.... What happens if you change the audio setting in the Roku device itself?

Also, is this a global issue for all Rokus?  Do they all downmix AAC 5.1?

Jdiesel

Hmmm.... What happens if you change the audio setting in the Roku device itself?

Also, is this a global issue for all Rokus?  Do they all downmix AAC 5.1?

I think it is specific to the Roku Ultra and maybe the Roku 4. I'm pretty sure all other Roku flat out don't accept multichannel aac. @@speechles might know

I think it is specific to the Roku Ultra and maybe the Roku 4. I'm pretty sure all other Roku flat out don't accept multichannel aac. @@speechles might know

Okay, so rephrase my question - do all Roku's that advertise they can receive a 5.1 AAC stream downmix that stream to stereo?

Thanks.  Then the right way to handle this then is to probably always convert to DD if the system supports that.

Of course, that will undoubtedly get some people coming out complaining about doing that...

I think having something transcode when not necessary will draw more complaints than this one topic. I think an option makes sense.

Jdiesel

Options are good :)

Otherwise it would need to be triggered by a "MaxAudioChannels=" greater than 2 otherwise you would have systems with only two channels having the multichannel aac converted to ac3 needlessly. 

I think having something transcode when not necessary will draw more complaints than this one topic. I think an option makes sense.

Well, the question is what is determined as "necessary".  In this case, in order to get 5.1 out of their 5.1 stream it is necessary to convert it.

We would only convert if DD 5.1 is available and the stream is AAC 5.1.

Doesn't that seem like the right thing to do (especially given the recommendations by Roku above)?

Okay .60 has a new option for this.

Please test it out if you can ASAP and I can get the current submission in review updated with this change.

Thanks.

provokaz

yeah its mostly a roku4 premiere ultra problem.  i kmow its rokus fault i was mostly looking for a work around. as far as ive read plex got by making those rokus profile auto transcode aac5.1 to ac3 5.1. according to audioholics and avsforum aac is the rarest format supported by recievers. anyways ty for input ill attempt to make them buy a shield

Jdiesel

yeah its mostly a roku4 premiere ultra problem.  i kmow its rokus fault i was mostly looking for a work around. as far as ive read plex got by making those rokus profile auto transcode aac5.1 to ac3 5.1. according to audioholics and avsforum aac is the rarest format supported by recievers. anyways ty for input ill attempt to make them buy a shield

.60 should provide a fix for you so there should be no need to buy a Shield TV.

Jdiesel

.60 thats the version im on for the server

The latest Roku Beta version 3.0.60 which was just released today

If the user that is having issues isn't running the beta Roku app and isn't tech savy hopefully the Beta build will be tested and rolled out to the Stable build soon.

Edited by Jdiesel

oh damn im going over tonight how do i get beta version on roku

Hi.  Just click here when logged into the proper Roku account.  (This is also on our website download page for Roku)

• 9 months later...

Thank you for the report. You are correct. At the moment that setting does absolutely nothing.

The entire capabilities was refactored to read everything directly from the device. I mistakenly removed this option. This is quick to add back, and I've left changes with ebr already on how to add this back in immediately. Apologies for the omission. This was not intentional. :)