Hardware Transcoding Not Working Kaby Lake

PatsFan87

The next release of Emby Server for Linux x64 will include NVENC support out of the box so all you need to do is enable it. 

Nvidia Cuda and OpenCL drivers will need to be installed first. These cannot be freely distributed by us so you will need to refer to your respective distro to learn how to install them.

Thanks !

Radeon24

Hi,

I think i've got the same issue with Kaby Lake (Pentium G4600) on W10 x64. The transcoding works great for h264, but fails and it's done with software for h265 to h264 or h265 to h265.

Is the problem corrected in beta branch, or will be ? Do you need some logs to continue your investigations ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I think i've got the same issue with Kaby Lake (Pentium G4600) on W10 x64. The transcoding works great for h264, but fails and it's done with software for h265 to h264 or h265 to h265.

Is the problem corrected in beta branch, or will be ? Do you need some logs to continue your investigations ?

Thanks.

Hi there @@Radeon24, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

It's burning in subtitles and that can use a lot of resources. You could try playing something else that doesn't require that.

The next release of emby server will also have an updated ffmpeg which may help.

Radeon24

Without subtitles, I have 22fps transcoding instead of 13, but it's still software transcode : 100% CPU, 1% GPU.

Do you think the next ffmpeg release will correct that problem ?

Thanks !

This is something that varies per environment. You will have to try and let us know. I would suggest making sure that Windows is fully up to date and that your graphics drivers are up to date.

PatsFan87

After a ton of digging and testing, it seems to be a problem with the ffmpeg. I am not sure when it will be fixed. We can only hope!

• Like 1

Radeon24

Yes Windows and graphic drivers are up to date.

I've also made tests with Linux version... with no luck because your ffmpeg build does not support SMB input.

PatsFan87

The problem is not with Emby or your CPU/drivers. The problem is with the base ffmpeg build. Until the ffmpeg team (not related to Emby) fix the problem, we will not be able to use hw with h265.