Hardware Transcoding Not Working Kaby Lake

PatsFan87

PatsFan87

Hey,

I have a Dell tower with a i3 7100 CPU, 6gb r, running latest windows 10 running the emby server. I have all updated drivers. I am getting errors in my Transcoding log when playing media specifically 4k hevc and the playback stutters obviously because it is not using hardware Transcoding (no GPU usage by ffmpeg.exe). I have quick sync Transcoding in emby options enabled with all boxes checked. I am trying to stream to an xbox one s. Transcoding log attached. It seems ffmpeg cannot access something. Thanks!

Untitled.txt

Edited by PatsFan87

PatsFan87

I have done it, will test later at home. Not sure if related, but testing now on Android, it seems that if a video needs to be transcoded I am getting the "no compatible streams available" error.

I have done it, will test later at home. Not sure if related, but testing now on Android, it seems that if a video needs to be transcoded I am getting the "no compatible streams available" error.

Please ensure you didn't disable transcoding for the user in question.

PatsFan87

I did not,I just doubled checked.

I should also note, the media is stored on a seagate external drive connected via usb3.0. emby is installed on the internal hard drive.

Edited by PatsFan87

It's continuing to fail with hardware features turned on. What's strange is that it's not automatically switching back to CPU so I will have to re-test that.

Right now I don't have an answer about why it's failing, it's possible you may need to configure the drivers to allow external applications to utilize the hardware support. @@Waldonnis do you have any thoughts? thanks.

PatsFan87

I was having issues with ffmpeg not starting.  And everything was direct streaming. I think that was why I had issues with Android. So, I disabled Windows Defender in the registry and now ffmpeg can start again, but.....

I go to play hevc mkv I get this in the log.

[h264_qsv @ 000002c481a2aac0] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 000002c481a2aac0] Selected ratecontrol mode is not supported by the QSV runtime. Choose a different mode.
Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Conversion failed!

Edited by PatsFan87

The requested video bitrate is really low for some reason. try setting that back to auto and see if that makes a difference. thanks.

PatsFan87

Setting it to auto makes the video direct play on my device (it can fine), but if I switch bit rate to something else then it gives the no compatible streams error again and the same log error.

Ok, let's narrow it down. Try turning off hardware encoding in the server settings but leave decoding on. If it still fails, then flip flop those. Let's see which one is causing it. Thanks.

@@Waldonnis, any thoughts on command line adjustments? he might just have to disable hw encoding for now it's out of our control. It could very well just be an issue at the ffmpeg level. Thanks.

PatsFan87

Ok i have been doing some more testing using more jellyfish samples. I have found out that it seems to be and issue with HEVC. h264 files utilize the hardware acceleration no problem. When I go to play a HEVC (8 or 10 bit), the log shows ffmpeg throwing the:

h264_qsv @ 000002c481a2aac0] No device available for encoder (device type qsv for codec h264_qsv).
[h264_qsv @ 000002c481a2aac0] Selected ratecontrol mode is not supported by the QSV runtime. Choose a different mode.
Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Conversion failed!

Does this mean ffmpeg is trying to use the 264 encoder for a 265 file? 

Edited by PatsFan87

PatsFan87

Another update. If I play a HEVC 8 bit file, my cpu goes to about 90-98% and my gpu uses about 20%. If I try to play a 10 bit HEVC, my cpu maxes out and gpu is not engaged by ffmpeg.

Guest asrequested

Differences in the audio might be a factor, there. And the 8-10 bit may not be responsible. There are other possibilities for the cause of a transcode. Don't go down the rabbit hole :)

Look at the transcode logs to determine what is happening. I'm assuming you're doing all of your testing while on your home network, to rule out bandwidth issues? You want to set a baseline.