Disabling Remote Access

buttfer3921

buttfer3921

Evening all.

Ditched Plex in favour of Emby but discovered (quite by chance now I think about it - I've ran through the setup 3 times today and not once is this mentioned) that it punches a hole through my router and makes my media library available to the world! I obviously don't want this behaviour so I've googled for a while in a bid to fix it without bothering anyone, but the solutions appear to be:

- Disable UPnP: Infeasible because I require it for other things

- Add a username and password: Impractical; I don't want to have to authenticate just to watch shows in my own house

- Set up a firewall: Do I really have to? The problem is at the application layer, not at the network level (i.e. I didn't have an issue with unauthorised remote access until I installed the program)

I'm surprised that 1) this isn't trivial to disable and 2) more people aren't complaining about it, so I thought I'd better raise it. I've disabled 'automatic port mapping' but to no avail, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be more than happy to report on my experience or submit a PR to the docs to better aid other people.

Unrelated: this looks like a great project with an active community and I'd be more than happy to contribute patches and fixes for other things (I notice the setup gets a little repetitive for example - I had to put my language in three times in different fields!) so if you can think of any low-hanging fruit that might be good for someone unfamiliar with the codebase to take a run at, I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks for an otherwise great product!

Hi, welcome. We don't actually have an explicit setting to disable remote access, but it comes up every now and then so we'll add a setting for the next release, thanks.

• 3 months later...
buttfer3921

Just checked out the 3.3.3.0 release and can't access my media server remotely - I am such a happy man! Thank you so much for all your and the rest of the team's collective work. I'm going to really enjoy uninstalling Plex! Take care.