IPTV stuttering and/or buffering

revengineer

revengineer

I just spent 3 hours chasing down a problem with stuttering of IPTV. I found that IPTV plays flawlessly in VLC and on Kodi and that the problems are limited to emby. The problem occurs on Chrome and Firefox in Windows 10 as well as on Roku client.

CPU usage is quite low and does not seem to be the limiting factor. To test this I toggled transcoding throttling and H264 encoding preset. Neither changed the observed behavior.

I attached a log file. The log file does show some errors but again, both VLC and Kodi were able to deal with this stream.

Insight appreciated.

Log.txt

You're getting less than 20fps on the transcode so that would explain it.

Based on the url I am guessing it initially tried to direct play it, the browser video player reported an error and so it automatically switched to a full transcode in order to make it just work. But unfortunately now that's just not happening fast enough.

can you attach the server log as well? thanks.

revengineer

I have observed that the direct play of IPTV is hit or miss, some times it does play direct but often it does not. Is there a way to force direct play?

When you say that it is not happening fast enough, do you mean the data for the transcode is not coming in fast enough or the transcode itself is not happening fast enough? I observe CPU usage <10% for the transcode even if throttling is disabled so it seems that CPU power may not be the issue.

It's back to work tomorrow, I will gather the server log when I find a moment. I may have to cut a section because it's likely a large log and I have to sanitize it. Alternatively, I may provide I new example from a clean test case. I can combine with the logging for the shutdown issue when the next stable version is released.

I have observed that the direct play of IPTV is hit or miss, some times it does play direct but often it does not. Is there a way to force direct play?

Well I would need to see the server log but it appears to me that it already tried to direct play but the app video player reported an error. There are some changes for the next release related to stream startup so you could wait for that and/or try the beta server. Thanks.

revengineer

Ok, let's defer until release of next version when I will continue testing. Depending on release date, I may try the beta server, which is installed on my desktop, next weekend.