Remote app won’t play content

Croll12

Croll12

I have been a long Time Plex user (7 years) and have recently switched to Emby due to IPTV functionality. After reading other posts I updated to the beta version on my server to improve the load time of tv streams. That helps some times, others still 7 seconds on Amazon FireTV hardwired to gigabit switch. But the big problem now is I can not play anything remotely on iPhone app. Before the update I could, now cannot. Works fine on local LAN, but outside my network it spins for 20 seconds and then black screen. Tried on live tv and movie library.

dcrdev

I this issue in the iOS app also, but not in Safari or other devices outside the home network. Looking at the log there was nothing obviously wrong - the ffmpeg output was beginning to transfer but then cuts off without warning. From what I could surmise, the iOS app just looks to have a short timeout for receiving the first playable chunk.

I imposed a slightly more restrictive streaming bitrate limit and now it doesn't timeout - have you tried that? 

OSBuckeyes4Life

Yes, I have been ranting about this in another post as I thought it was an issue with my new Alienware PC.  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54517-emby-on-windows-machine/

My issue is that I am hit and miss with Movies and TV Shows, some work and stream just fine while others spin spin, time out, play for 5 seconds, repeat what it just played, stop, spin more.  I have an iPhone X.

And I am an iPhone X running on AT&T.

Edited by schoepp23

OSBuckeyes4Life

Hey Luke, go to that page that I posted above and I have multiple logs there with the same issue.

nvader2000

Has this been resolved?. I have the latest gen iPad Mini running over my local WiFi and I am having the same issue when playing movies. Just sits there and spins and never plays.

OSBuckeyes4Life

My iPad (MNVU2LL/A) does the same thing, it seems to be an issue with the 11.2.1 (15C153) Version. That is what both my iPhone and iPad are on.

But let me clarify my issue, when I am on local WiFi, the same one that my server sits on, I have no issue whatsoever. It’s when I try and go to cellular that I am unable to play movies.

Again last night at dinner, tried to play The Boss Baby to keep the kids entertained, would not play, grabbed friends Android, played within 5 seconds.

I think in some cases the app might just be picking a bitrate that's a little too high for the connection.

I would try lowering the in-app quality setting.

OSBuckeyes4Life

I assume you are talking about Settings-Playback-Streaming-Internet Streaming Bitrate Limit (Mbps)? If so what would the recommended value be there? I have never touched this value before so I’m not sure why it matters all of a sudden.

OSBuckeyes4Life

I tried that at 5, no dice, I also tried setting H264 encoding present from medium to ultrafast and H264 encoding crf to 51, still no dice. The video loads after about 30 seconds, plays for 7 and then freezes to the point the app won’t respond.

Now with that being said, I started playing around with the settings and I did stumble upon something interesting. When I uncheck “Allow subtile extraction on the fly” and mbps set to 2, it seems to now be streaming externally as it use to. Was this a newer setting the would somehow affect the way iOS operates?

So I went back and placed my bitrate to 3 to see how high I could go and it just spins. When I go back in and make it 2, I again get video but look at what it looks like.

post-113673-0-28570300-1515411773_thumb.png

post-113673-0-61979500-1515411794_thumb.png

post-113673-0-46294100-1515411853_thumb.png

post-113673-0-92427800-1515411864_thumb.png

post-113673-0-91860900-1515411875_thumb.png

Edited by schoepp23

OSBuckeyes4Life

It looks like it is also doing it on my NAS server, I started it up to compare settings. Same behaviors and that is not the most up to date version of EMBY.

Looking at the NAS release notes, I see iOS music but nothing about the formatting or anything that would correct operating in iOS, just let me know what you need and I can help.

post-113673-0-05909300-1515418556_thumb.png

post-113673-0-62285800-1515418572_thumb.png

post-113673-0-79668300-1515418965_thumb.jpeg

post-113673-0-57587300-1515419221_thumb.png

I assume you are talking about Settings-Playback-Streaming-Internet Streaming Bitrate Limit (Mbps)? If so what would the recommended value be there? I have never touched this value before so I’m not sure why it matters all of a sudden.

It really depends on your connection, but you provided a log example of a video that was streaming at nearly 11mbps and for most people that is going to be extremely aggressive over the internet. We will just have to make the auto-selection a bit more conservative. Thanks.

OSBuckeyes4Life

11mbps in this day in age is not even filling the diaper half full.  This appears to be an iOS coding issue as it is more that just the streaming that we are seeing this issue with.  Remember, Android can stream that 11mbps like is mowing the grass with Jesus's Power. 

I'm not trying to be rude but the more I read on these forums, Apple seems to be being pushed aside.  I'm a Engineer/Developer on multiple applications that I work on during the day, I understand the pressure, but Android and Apple are going to be the two biggest markets for you going forward.  I'm not sure what happened to the iOS portion of the coding in EMBY, but I didn't pay for Premiere Access to be forced to use a Android device.  What do you guy's need help with here?  Please tell me this isn't your full time gig.  Again, I'm not trying to be rude, I just want everyone in the forums to be happier.  Something is off here.

We are using the stock apple video player. For a remote connection, 11mbps will be aggressive for most people. I think the default is just too high. 

• Like 1

dcrdev

11mbps in this day in age is not even filling the diaper half full.  This appears to be an iOS coding issue as it is more that just the streaming that we are seeing this issue with.  Remember, Android can stream that 11mbps like is mowing the grass with Jesus's Power. 

I'm not trying to be rude but the more I read on these forums, Apple seems to be being pushed aside.  I'm a Engineer/Developer on multiple applications that I work on during the day, I understand the pressure, but Android and Apple are going to be the two biggest markets for you going forward.  I'm not sure what happened to the iOS portion of the coding in EMBY, but I didn't pay for Premiere Access to be forced to use a Android device.  What do you guy's need help with here?  Please tell me this isn't your full time gig.  Again, I'm not trying to be rude, I just want everyone in the forums to be happier.  Something is off here.

I agree I have 1gb up/down from my server and I'm predominently using EE 4g which has upto 60mbps in my area - streaming a 720p video shouldn't buffer to the extent it times out.

I can upload files to NextCloud on my server at just shy of 100mb/s and can download at between 100-110mb/s.

Edited by dcrdev

OSBuckeyes4Life

So what was done? I can all of a sudden play content remotely... It did take awhile but it is playing. Looks like the window was also adjusted. Doesn't fit perfect but it is working.

Never mind, it’s broke again.

Edited by schoepp23