Is there a way to "force" a "clean and renew" operation on the database?

TomTiddler

TomTiddler

I have a large collection of movies, and a much larger collection of music, all being managed by Emby. Every now and then, when a new version of Emby Server is released, all my cover images "disappear". I put that in quotes, because the actual images are all still in my folder structures, all with the same old names, all in the same place. It's just that the database has decided to use different images. Sigh.

Before you removed the Clean Database from the Scheduled Commands section, I could use this to recover things, however, it just happened again with the 3.2.60 update, and of course, there's no Clean Database available. If I just remove the library.db file and do a library scan, will this generate the image database again from the existing image files?

If an extra piece of information will help to explain my problem, you should know that I have 2 instances of the Emby Server running on 2 different machines. The one I use as the "master" machine is set to save artwork and metadata into the media folders, whereas the "slave" machine has this option unchecked. This avoids the race condition whereby the servers each try to update the same structure, and just continually update :-)

Since managing (eventually)  to update both machines to 3.2.60, the "master" has stopped using my images, but the "slave" has all the correct images, exactly as before, so I'm fairly certain that this is indeed a database issue, as there's only one network location for the files, whereas there are two databases.

I should add that my first thought was to use the Metadata Manager section for this, and indeed, Refresh Data performed on an individual movie, or music album does indeed work. However, selecting the whole Movie library, or Music library does nothing. I'm not very keen on attempting more than 4,000 individual manual operations to get my music covers back to looking good, so would would love to have some help :-)

TomTiddler

Oh goodness yes :-) From the Manage Server tab I've tried Right clicking movies and Refresh, also Metadata Manager, select Movies and Refresh - none of which do anything. Only thing that works is selecting each individual movie and selecting Refresh (Refresh in all cases means Refresh Metadata).

Once again, the question was "How can I recreate the database or (preferably) force it to clean existing database entries and rebuild using the correct images."

Refreshing the top level folder should work fine, it's just that it will take a while and our progress monitoring is currently not great. So that might lead you to think that it's not doing anything.

TomTiddler

Yea, I'm familiar with the behavior, waited overnight (is 14 hours enough?) - not a single image changed. Again, can I reconstitute the database? Is there a reason why that question is being ignored in favor of asking me all the other questions?

TomTiddler

Not entirely glitch-free but close. Anyway good result, the family can once again see their movies, and I can see my music! 

Thanks as always.